FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

T

TDarien

How much will it cost if I want to purchase everything?

$150 for the Ultimate license (or $10/month for a subscription)
$50 for the Complete Class Package
$50 for the Complete Monster Package
$20 for Lost Mines of Phandelver

$270. (Or $120 and $10/month)

This will allow anyone with a Demo license( free) to connect to your game and view all the content.

Alternatively, you and all your players could buy normal licenses for $40 (or $4/month)

smiteworks

Explorer
I have another licensing question you may or may not be able to answer! :)

Do you have the license to reproduce WotC map products, like the many Dungeon Tile sets released over the years during the 3E and 4E era?

That would be pretty cool! And I would hope, easy to implement if WotC supplied you with the digital imagery!

We would love to do a bunch of stuff like that, including 3.5E, 4E and even earlier stuff. For now, our initial focus is solely on current version of Dungeons & Dragons.

Hussar

Legend
What irritates me most about this program is the pricing scheme. Our group rotates DM's, and some of us play with other groups as well. IOW, we'd need to buy six or seven licenses to get the same functionality that we get from Maptool or Roll20.

Now we're looking about about 200+ dollars, just for the VTT. That's before we start buying the packs, which we would then each have to purchase, since the DM has to have that pack.

A thousand or so dollars is a bit steep.

RSKennan

Explorer
If you're all going to be running games, you don't need the ultimate license. Full licenses are about $40 each. The ultimate license is just for people who want to do their group a favor, and let them play for free.

Griogre

First Post

This will allow anyone with a Demo license( free) to connect to your game and view all the content.

Alternatively, you and all your players could buy normal licenses for $40 (or $4/month)

I just wanted to point out one additional option if you have a group already. You can get a four pack of FG licenses for $120 - 4 for the price of 3 on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/252690/

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
What irritates me most about this program is the pricing scheme. Our group rotates DM's, and some of us play with other groups as well. IOW, we'd need to buy six or seven licenses to get the same functionality that we get from Maptool or Roll20.

Now we're looking about about 200+ dollars, just for the VTT. That's before we start buying the packs, which we would then each have to purchase, since the DM has to have that pack.

A thousand or so dollars is a bit steep.

You do not need to purchase a "forever" license for $149.

I am not sure Fantasy Grounds policies on this but I can see you having a DM's account that you purchase the modules and resources on and then just purchase a $9.99 monthly sub the months your group plays. Anyone with a demo license can play and the players would not need to purchase anything.

Depending upon your group you could even all split the costs for the resources on the DMs account.

The Black Ranger

First Post

So 270 total will give me everything? All monsters, feats, spells, classes, etc...?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Also, not that this should surprise ANYONE, but ya gotta love how this isn't mentioned anywhere on WOTC's website for D&D. #justwotcthings

I've noticed that Wizards tends to let their licensing partner make the initial announcement about the product. After all, it's the partner's product.

Wizards will likely put up an announcement in the next day or two.

Cheers!

Remove ads

Remove ads