FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Another question concerning the adventures: could one actually run an FG adventure without owning the paper version?

I saw one video (~40 minutes about Lost Mines of Phandalver, linked in this thread and the Rolplaying Games Rating area) where apparently boxed text was offered to the GM, but does the module contain the complete text like (apparantlý) the Monster Manual?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
A quick question, how are maps created in FG. I am currently prepping a Roll20 campaign and I have hand drawn the map using the drawing tools. Frankly I prefer it that way rather than having to mess about with high end graphics apps.
Can I do this on FG or do I have to import jpegs?

transtemporal

Explorer
You can play the game just fine without any of the rulebook modules (you still have the scripting and automation rules included in your license) by coding effects yourself.

There must be something I'm missing here. How do I play the game without any of the rules?

Also, what scripting and automation tools?

Askaval30

Explorer
A quick question, how are maps created in FG. I am currently prepping a Roll20 campaign and I have hand drawn the map using the drawing tools. Frankly I prefer it that way rather than having to mess about with high end graphics apps.
Can I do this on FG or do I have to import jpegs?

yes, there is a draw tool included by which you can hand-draw maps or pretty much anything else. You can even overlay a grid or the fog of war on it just like you'd do on an imported jpeg image

Mask_of_winter

First Post
There must be something I'm missing here. How do I play the game without any of the rules?

Also, what scripting and automation tools?

The 5e mechanics comes with FG for free.
So without the rules provided by the store you have to:
a) Type and format everything yourself
b) figure out the parser which will convert raw data from the ocr'd d&d books into a language FG understands
or c) play with the book on your lap.

The automation will track HP, conditions, distribute treasure parcels, etc. That comes out of the box, you don't need to purchase any official 5e material for that.

You seem very curious. Have you checked out any youtube videos yet? Trying to explain how FG works with words is as tricky as trying to explain what D&D is to someone who's never heard of it. I encourage you to go on youtube and run a search with keywords like: fantasy grounds and d&d . You'll find tutorials, actual plays and reviews. It's also worth noting that FG works pretty much the same way with any ruleset so what you'll find with Castles & Crusades, 4e or Pathfinder applies.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fantasy grounds&sm=3

Last edited by a moderator:

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Another question concerning the adventures: could one actually run an FG adventure without owning the paper version?

I saw one video (~40 minutes about Lost Mines of Phandalver, linked in this thread and the Rolplaying Games Rating area) where apparently boxed text was offered to the GM, but does the module contain the complete text like (apparantlý) the Monster Manual?

Yes

We have nearly finished modules for Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Rise of Tiamat. They need a little more quality checking before we send them to Wizards for review and approval. I would guess 10-15 business days.

As for cutting words, your DM may want to change their preferences to set Show GM Rolls to off. Since you never know when you will decide to use it, you almost have to hide all the rolls. Another way, which may not be RAW, but might make sense is for them to turn on the Dice Tower to allow for hidden rolls. You could pre-roll your next Bardic Inspiration die into the DM's Dice Tower and they would see the result. They could even save the result to a macro slot at the bottom of the screen. You wouldn't know how successful your Cutting Word is actually going to be, even though you would still be able to see by how much the enemy made a roll.

Great news about HotDQ & RoT. We'll be looking forward to it, thanks.

Remove ads

Remove ads