D&D General Fantasy heartbreaker mechanics…

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've made good use of using STR/Con and Charisma scores being the basis for Martial and magical spell points respectively. Also using the idea of Con score being the basis for HP.

Just because people don't use the design space doesn't mean that isn't there.
Fair.

How about: "Use it or lose it," then?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Fair.

How about: "Use it or lose it," then?
Yeah pretty much. I like ability scores, but if they're just going to be a convoluted and unnecessary step to determine a bonus, get rid of them. I mean, even 3e, which started this trend, had Feats that required odd ability scores.

Here the only other function of ability scores is, uh....jumping distance. Multiclass requirements. And uh...there was something in the playtest about bluff DC's, but I think that's for NPC's only (heaven forbid we remember that Insight is a skill).

EDIT: forgot carry capacity.

The problem with the concept of the fantasy heartbreaker is that there isn't any need for one. They imitate D&D too closely, and there's no compelling reason to not just play D&D.

Context is different when there now are much more compelling reasons to not play D&D specifically.

I don't know if it counts (I never played the game), but this comment made me immediately think of these ads from Dragon magazine:

View attachment 271939
Talislanta is what got me into RPGs! So, like, it was legit enthralling even to someone who'd never had a chance to get jaded with 'look-alike fantasy games.'

My fantasy heartbreaker is

ODYSSEY PERILOUS
A game where whenever possible, danger is posed, but you get a chance to respond before it affects you. So most monsters would have some sort of ability they'd use on their turn to telegraph an attack, and then they would make the attack at the start of their next turn (which might include moving to reach you). Each turn you'd get both a 'standard action' that can deal damage and a 'minor action' that cannot deal damage but instead powers you up, or imposes a penalty, or otherwise telegraphs something big next turn.

Like, a dragon would have to use 'charge breath' on turn 1, then actually 'breathe fire' on turn 2, giving the party a chance to scatter or seek cover.

To go with this, PCs (and major NPCs and monsters) would have a small number of 'Saves,' which would downgrade an incoming attack (from a crit to a hit, or a hit to a miss) and give you some perk or do something punishing to your opponent. They wouldn't require any reaction, but they would only be usable a few times per combat, so you'd need to wait for the opportune moment for maximum effect. In play, they would hopefully elicit the feel of a well-timed parry in a fighting game.

For instance, a common save for martial characters would downgrade an incoming attack and let you perform a combat maneuver (push, trip, grab, disarm) against your attacker. You could always just use it to avoid dying, or you could trip your attacker on their turn, then on your turn take advantage of that by hitting them while they're vulnerable.

And some monsters could have saves too, perhaps even really powerful ones. Like, a wraith might be able to turn ethereal and completely negate attacks, unless you had hit it with radiant damage or unless it had drained life from a living creature in the last round (thus linking it to the world of the living).

Stuff like that.

This was literally one of the first things I learned on the internet in like 1992 lol. I was talking to someone about Talislanta and going "No elves, cool huh?" and they were like "Actually there's loads of stuff that's Basically An Elf".
But the 'basically an elf' races were not "ageless woodland dwelling experts at magic and archery who sometimes frolic." Instead, among dozens of really varied cultures, you had a few things that had some of the traits of elves.

Like, out of the whole list here, I'd peg maybe 4 races as being elf-y. Vault of the 13th Age - Talislanta races A-G (sadly, this site used a ton of cheesecake art instead of the actual art from the game).

Ariane - onyx skinned immortal mystics who inhabit a maze-city in the mountains

Cymrilian - green skinned cosmopolitan urbanist wizards who felt like everything can be improved with scientifically-minded magic

Green Men - little plant people who can easily control elemental magic and natural surroundings

Jaka - semi-feline furred woodland folk who live through hunting and beast taming

Remove ads