Fantasy Races vs Sci Fi Species. Different or not?

Voadam

Legend
I agree that I expect science fiction to generally be somewhat more scientific in its treatment of aliens in context, it bugs me more that Spock is half-human than that Elrond is. Mostly though I think of them as the same and interchangeable and I have no problem with explicitly full on Space Fantasy like Starfinder or 40K with Chaos and Eldar and Orks.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I agree that I expect science fiction to generally be somewhat more scientific in its treatment of aliens in context, it bugs me more that Spock is half-human than that Elrond is. Mostly though I think of them as the same and interchangeable and I have no problem with explicitly full on Space Fantasy like Starfinder or 40K with Chaos and Eldar and Orks.
Well, considering the ST universe’s reliance on the panspermia idea, it’s a little less problematic than mixing species in most Sci-Fi franchises. Vulcans having copper based blood remains problematic, though.

OTOH, considering the uses of horseshoe crab blood in pharmacology, perhaps a few hundred years of science could render even that moot.

aramis erak

Legend
Well, considering the ST universe’s reliance on the panspermia idea, it’s a little less problematic than mixing species in most Sci-Fi franchises. Vulcans having copper based blood remains problematic, though.

OTOH, considering the uses of horseshoe crab blood in pharmacology, perhaps a few hundred years of science could render even that moot.
Star Trek's panspermia was intentional, and there are at least 5 different oxidizer transmissions...
We've seen red blood, green blood, pink blood, and earth has purple, green, dark blue, and light blue in various arthropods.

Li Shenron

Legend
By Sci Fi species, I'm referring to sentient and sapient species, for example the major races in Star Trek and Star Wars (Vulkans, Klingons, Mon Calamari, Wookies, etc)

Do you think there is any significant difference between the two? Do (or would) you tend to treat them differently in how you play or GM a campaign? Are there implications of being a fantasy race that are not true of a sapient alien race or vice-versa?

Or are they identical concepts in your mind?

I'm curious what different opinions are out there. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: hopefully made the line of inquiry clearer
Always been the same to me, in fact I often said I'd prefer "races" to be renamed as either "species" or "creatures".

I would expect a distinction between how a game treats different types of creatures in a "hard" sci-fi setting (where species presumably evolved on their own homeworlds, and any engineering is an act of will by mortal engineers using gene-manipulation) versus a "typical" fantastic setting (where many creatures are probably engineered by magic, divine will, etc.).

I would expect a less fuzzy distinction between "softer" sci-fi settings (Star Trek) and fantastic settings.

I wouldn't expect much distinction at all between space fantasy (Star Wars) and fantastic settings.

Mallus

Legend
Ahem... point of order. "Serious science fiction" doesn't need to take science seriously.

I would like to submit into evidence the following: the Dune series by Frank Herbert, the Culture novels by Iain Banks, all of Star Trek.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Different for me, fantasy races are often due to magic, such as Orcs being twisted Elves. In sci-fi, the species follow the principles of science, and have a physical origin.

I am thinking about the differences of the races from Pathfinder and Starfinder. About gameplay the PC races from sci-fi can enjoy special traits too powerful in settings with lower technologic level, for example flying or breathing water. In fantasy Strenght may be more necessary.

Dire Bare

Legend
I can put forth another really simple way that I consider them differently.

Fantasy races have, traditionally, wrapped significant cultural aspects into them - D&D has, in the past, had separate "races" that were humans from different cultural regions in the Forgotten Realms, for example. And while I can see the point in moving away from that, I don't reject that model outright.

I wouldn't generally accept that model in an sci-fi RPG - there, I generally consider "species" to model biological differences.
I think races and/or species conflating the biological and the cultural crosses the boundaries between fantasy and sci-fi all the time. Klingons were an empire consisting of one species with one culture, until fairly recently in Trek when the writers have tried to show more diversity. Same with the Romulans and other Trek species.

Well-written sci-fi should probably not offer single-culture sentient species . . . but that level of thoughtfulness and detail easily gets left out when cramming episode after episode of a series, or even for a movie script.

Broadly though, I do think we're more accepting of one species = one culture in the fantasy genre. Having dozens of elf "subraces" (hate that term) is more a result of splat then thoughtfully created multicultural species. It just happens a lot in sci-fi, or sci-fantasy, too.

Voadam

Legend
Broadly though, I do think we're more accepting of one species = one culture in the fantasy genre. Having dozens of elf "subraces" (hate that term) is more a result of splat then thoughtfully created multicultural species. It just happens a lot in sci-fi, or sci-fantasy, too.
I don't agree.

The 1e MM started off with high elves, wood elves, and gray elves which was mirroring Tolkien cultures, not to create PC splat options. Gygax added in Sea and Drow elves as NPC monster options then Valley and Wild elves as more specific NPC culture options. It wasn't until Unearthed Arcana that most such NPC cultures became PC options and the differences (except for underdark Drow) were not often that different so mechanical splat does not seem apt. Mostly it was a +1 to int for gray elves or wood elves getting a +1 strength and a little tinkering with class limits. Greenwood adapted them for the Forgotten Realms with different names, and Dragonlance came up with multiple distinct culture or political versions of elves with Qualinesti versus Silvanesti versus Kagonesti plus the two types of sea elves. This was in large part to support story culture reasons as opposed to player splat options.

2e was pretty straightforward in saying elves were elves mechanically and reducing the mechanical differences for PC options to the point of taking away drow powers from PC drow.

Remove ads