[FATE] Guardian Chronicles: A Superhero Campaign Concept

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have just picked up Cypher System book, based on the vibe I got from Numenera and The Strange. Haven't looked at it itself, but based on the others, it should be pretty sleek & simple, and robust enough to handle a bunch of things.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Newest version of the Third Chronicle era Darkstar character.

Attachments

• Darkstar_First Defense_smaller.jpg
    Darkstar_First Defense_smaller.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 64

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I have just picked up Cypher System book, based on the vibe I got from Numenera and The Strange. Haven't looked at it itself, but based on the others, it should be pretty sleek & simple, and robust enough to handle a bunch of things.
So far, i only have the preview for it, but it looks interesting enough that I might get it. I like the fact it can be used for multiple genres.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Thinking of how to work Guardian Chronicles in conjunction with Fate Core, I had this idea last night that each Chronicle (era) will use a different Power Level as detailed in the Fate System Toolkit (which I just bought).

The First Chronicle era will use the Pulp Adventure power level, the Second Chronicle era will use the Gritty Noir power level (but likely with one or two minor changes), and the Third Chronicle era will use the Super-Heroic power level but with some additional changes (more skills, a higher skill cap, and a bonus option chart that players roll on to get other benefits [extra refresh, extra stunt, extra stress box, extra aspect, etc.]).

As well, the Third Chronicle will use the concept of Powers from the Venture City Stories world book. The other two chronicles aren't as likely to use those options although certain NPCs (especially Darkstar) in the 2nd C will have powers to make them tougher compared to the PCs.

FYI... after looking more closely at the M&M 3E book I have, I might still come up with some options for running a Guardian Chronicles campaign in M&M 3E, but it won't be my focus (Internet scuttlebutt seems to say that 3E is a better system than 2E). Regardless, from now on, FATE Core will be the default ruleset for GC. (I might try to see how the setting works with the Savage Worlds ruleset, as well.) As well, I'm likely to come up with options for Alternity, although I still need to find a few more of the old Alternity books to make it work.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
First Chronicle Skill Names (Pulp Adventure): Combines the skill names from FATE Core System with the Ability names from M&M 3E.

Awareness (Will)
Combat (Fight and Shoot)
Deceive
Empathy
Endurance (Physique and Stamina)
Intellect (Lore)
Investigate
Mechanics (Crafts)
Notice
Presence (Rapport)
Provoke
Quickness (Athletics & Burglary)
Ride
Society (Contacts & Resources)
Stealth
-----
Darkness
Energy
Magick

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Second Chronicle Skill Names (Gritty Noir): Based on the Ability names from Mutants and Masterminds 3E.
Strength
Stamina
Agility
Dexterity
Fighting
Intellect
Awareness
Presence
-----
Darkness
Energy
Interface (FC p. 283)
Magick
Mutation

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Third Chronicle Skill Names: Combines the skill names from FATE Core System with the Ability names from M&M 3E.

Agility (Athletics)
Awareness (Will)
Contacts
Deceive
Dexterity (Burglary)
Drive
Empathy
Engineering (Crafts)
Fighting (Fight)
Intellect (Lore)
Investigate
Pilot *
Presence (Rapport)
Provoke
Notice
Resources
Shoot
Stamina
Stealth
Strength (Physique)
-----
Darkness
Energy
Interface (FC p. 283)
Magick
Mutation

* Pulled out from Drive.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
First Chronicle: test character without extras

Fat Man Jack
High Concept: Grizzled Lawman of the Town of Blackwood
Trouble: One Eye to See You With
Other Aspects: Judge Gruber Owes Me, The Land Speaks to Me, “I can Shoot a Tick off your Shoulder at Fifty Paces”, My Horse is my Best Friend, Fisticuffs and Footwork.

SKILLS
Awareness: Fair (+2)
Combat: Superb (+5)
Deceive: Average (+1)
Empathy: Fair (+2)
Endurance: Average (+1)
Intellect: Average (+1)
Investigate: Great (+4)
Mechanics: Average (+1)
Notice: Good (+3)
Presence: Great (+4)
Provoke: Fair (+2)