[FATE] Guardian Chronicles: A Superhero Campaign Concept

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
You've mentioned using League of Extraordinary Gentleman, etc. for inspiration on the pulp era section of the campaign. I'd also recommend the Adventure! game by White Wolf, which I found really, really inspiring.

I played one game of Adventure! D20. I hated it. The mechanics really put me off. I prefer Modern 20.
I've considered Adventure! but I don't think I'd get a chance to use it. How much of the book is mechanics and how much is fluff?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
A revised version of Darkstar.

Attachments

• Darkstar2.jpg
    Darkstar2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
UPDATE!

I've recently bought a copy of Sidewinder: Recoiled, which I'm going to use to get a better understanding of the Old West (from a gaming standpoint). It should help with the development of the First Chronicle.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
[sblock="Third Chronicle Secret"]William Aguilar is immortal. He was the original Darkstar. Only the Watchdog AI knows who he truly is and would never reveal his secret.

While immortal, Darkstar's body can be destroyed by massive damage. It takes a long time for his body to completely reform. It took nearly two centuries for him to physically reform after he destroyed the alien invader at the end of the Second Chronicle. During tha time, his life force layed dormant under the polar ice of the Arctic.

For a time, he didn’t remember who he was and spent several decades in obscurity. When his memories returned, he quickly built a new identity for himself and easily integrated himself into First Defense. He works to strengthen the Earth for the coming of the Darkness, which is closer than anyone else knows.

Darkstar has foreseen his next death and knows it will usher in another age. He is not sure when this will happen but believes it will be within 200 years. He knows he will either have to reveal himself or mysteriously die and reinvent his identity. He would rather it be the former but believes the world will not accept his curse of immortality.

Reactions from the other two main First Defense NPCs -> Ironhawk: Ironhawk would be shocked to learn who Darkstar really is. He considers the man his friend and would be shattered to know “DS” has been lying to him. Ironhawk would likely distance himself from the First Guardian as Darkstar was very unpopular with the military in the States, which Ironhawk’s family has a long heritage of serving in.

Firestorm: Denise's attitude towards Darkstar would change greatly if she found out his true identity. (The First Guardian was highly revered in Britain as that was where the much of the fight with alien interloper took place. If he hadn’t come to the country’s aid, the alien interloper would have laid waste to all of England in less than a day. The British people considered the First Guardian to be a near mythological hero and some believe he was an angel sent from Heaven.) She would fawn over him like a disciple, which would just piss him off. In truth, she secretly carries a torch for him, as she has always had a weakness for the dark, brooding type.[/sblock]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
UPDATE
This idea has laid dormant for some time now. I have duplicated much of what I've created here over on The Piazza, but I found that M&M 2E was more complex than I could wrap my mind around. (I've sold off my 2E books, although I do have the 3E Heroes Handbook PDF.)

I doubt GC will be designed for M&M anymore... I'm considering returning it back to its origins (Alternity) or maybe I'll design it with either Savage Worlds or FATE. I haven't really looked at the M&M 3E book yet. I also have Spycraft, but it might not be "revved up" enough to handle the setting. It won't use the standard d20 Modern system, that's for sure.

I really like FATE, but it might be too simple.

The core background of the setting won't change, regardless.

Remove ads