[FATE] Guardian Chronicles: A Superhero Campaign Concept

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I like your ideas for Darkness. It sounds like guys who want to abuse their Darkness powers will have lots of free uses of extra effort (check out the pink section of the book) to increase their power ranks by 2. That's all kinds of tempting. }:D
Yep. Being tempted will be a big problem for heroes with Darkness powers. A villain likely won't care unless he/she is the type of bad guy that like to remain in control of his/her abilities and not the other way around.

Mutants will have to worry about this too if they have been touched by Darkness, but it won't be as big a problem for them. A mutant that reaches into themselves to tap the Darkness can enhance their mutant abilities for short periods but it cost them part of their sanity/soul.

Mutants and superheroes touched by the Energy don't have to worry about this unless they've also been touched by the Darkness. (A very rare thing.) Such a hero that falls from grace would become the wickedest villain. Aliens would be the most likely characters to be touched by both the Energy and the Darkness (i.e. fraal or sesheyans).

And thanks for the PL guideline. That definitely helps.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
While scouring The Atomic Think Tank messageboard, I've come across the idea of racial templates. I'm curious to find out whether or not other "races" besides humans are usually created in that manner. Or is it more of a choice?

If it's the former, then I'll need to build some racial templates for the Guardian Chronicles based on the various d20 Modern/d20 Future species once I've learned more about the system.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Generally, all races are a template, a set of adjustments, feats, and powers that represent the typical member of that race, and can be added to any base character to make him a member of that race.

I put an example on your conversion thread. They're pretty useful for saying "this is how a bystander of these people is different from a bystander human".

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Generally, all races are a template, a set of adjustments, feats, and powers that represent the typical member of that race, and can be added to any base character to make him a member of that race.
Interesting... that's a good way to do it. I like templates.

I put an example on your conversion thread. They're pretty useful for saying "this is how a bystander of these people is different from a bystander human".
Thanks for that. I'll be getting some good use out of it.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I've been too busy with night class school work to have the time to post anything new here or even read my M&M, 2nd Edition book. :p Anyway, next up for this thread will be the Major Secret for the Third Chronicle. I have to rewrite it a bit first, however.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm a little puzzled- in which era will players be starting?

I ask because the best game I ever ran was a supers game (using the HERO RPG) set in 1900. If the 19th Century is going to be a major campaign era, I may be able to help you.

For the record, I used the background info from Space:1889 as my launching point, since that game's creators did an excellent job of synthesizing the relevant fiction- mainly Verne and Wells- into their RPG. Then I added other elements, like what a few supers might do among the downtrodden peoples (Blacks/Africans, Native Americans, the Chinese, Martians and their sympathizers) in an era of imperialism, a little James Bond and Wild, Wild West, to name a few.

The timing of the event could even be significant- remember, the era we think of as the "wild West" occurred around the time of the California Gold Rush (the Aussie Gold rush as well, FWIW), the American Civil War, and only a few decades after the USMC helped end the threat of Barbary Pirates on American shipping (their actions in these wars led to the line "to the shores of Tripoli" in the opening of the Marine Hymn). The interjection of supers into that time period could have a radical effect on the appearance of the world in latter eras.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I'm a little puzzled- in which era will players be starting?

I ask because the best game I ever ran was a supers game (using the HERO RPG) set in 1900. If the 19th Century is going to be a major campaign era, I may be able to help you.
More than likely, any campaign run in this setting will be played as part of the Third Chronicle (future era) but there will likely be some time traveling aspects thrown in.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
With that setup, you probably don't need much more than what I suggested above, then, other than for me to add that I also used elements from great period detective stories like those featuring Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot or

However, you should plan your past adventures very carefully, and give your parties VERY vivid locales in which to adventure.

The British Museum, The Louvre, The Smithsonian, The Vatican or the Hermitage are so huge and full of STUFF that they make great sites for adventures. Their size is part of their charm for a DM- lots of space in which to run an adventure, and lots of things that could be a "McGuffin" that the PCs of the Future might be trying to recover. Especially if disguised/hidden in plain sight.

In that first era, locales like the Pyramids and the Acropolis are crawling with archaeologists and wealthy tourists. Its still possible to go big game hunting in Africa or India. America's "Wild West" isn't completely tamed. Mythic locales like Atlantis, Mu, and Lemuria are actively being searched for.

Vehicles like The Orient Express, The Queen Mary or The Titanic could be sites for adventuring.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
With that setup, you probably don't need much more than what I suggested above, then, other than for me to add that I also used elements from great period detective stories like those featuring Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot or

However, you should plan your past adventures very carefully, and give your parties VERY vivid locales in which to adventure.

The British Museum, The Louvre, The Smithsonian, The Vatican or the Hermitage are so huge and full of STUFF that they make great sites for adventures. Their size is part of their charm for a DM- lots of space in which to run an adventure, and lots of things that could be a "McGuffin" that the PCs of the Future might be trying to recover. Especially if disguised/hidden in plain sight.
One of the things that makes me wary about modern roleplaying is that I haven't seen very many famous locales. I worry that I won't be able to make such locations seem VIVID. Pictures and descriptions of such places don't always tell the full story.

In that first era, locales like the Pyramids and the Acropolis are crawling with archaeologists and wealthy tourists. Its still possible to go big game hunting in Africa or India. America's "Wild West" isn't completely tamed. Mythic locales like Atlantis, Mu, and Lemuria are actively being searched for.

Vehicles like The Orient Express, The Queen Mary or The Titanic could be sites for adventuring.
All good suggestions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases