• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite 2e modules?

Valiant

First Post
I honestly can't remember a single good 2E module. After being burnt time and again I stopped buying, so maybe one did get threw but I really doubt it.

jinnetics

Explorer
The only 2E mod I remember buying - or at least using - was Shattered Circle. My group got a lot of mileage out of that one.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
In my opinion most of the best 2E modules were those published in Dungeon Magazine. Around a month ago there was a tread about those that somebody might be able to find a link to.

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
I really liked the two Fast Play modules that came out near the end of 2e. I had a whole Greyhawk campaign out of 'em: Tomb of the Minotaur, and Eye of the Wyvern.

Chalk up another one for Shattered Circle (though it was converted for 3e), and Return to the Tomb of Horrors (though I still haven't been able to run it, dammit).

Greg V

First Post
Late 2e adventures tended to be MUCH better than the early ones (as mentioned). Of course, most of the early ones were FR novel/video game tie-ins.

I agree with most of those above and will just add that I ran Labyrinth of Madness in a single weekend marathon (Friday to Sunday night with short food and sleep breaks) with a large group and it rocked.

Return to the Tomb of Horrors (13 PC deaths) and Night Below (which I never got to run and have been converting to 3.5--oh well, so much for that) were by far my favorites.

I ran Dragon Mountain and stuff out of the Myth Drannor boxed set extensively and had a blast, but they required a LOT of prep work to be useful. Much the same with Undermountain.

Grue

First Post
Wasn't Fate of Istus 1e? A 1e to 2e transition module (getting rid of monks at least?).

For 2e my fav is Return to the Tomb of Horrors. Great atmosphere and tension, very memorable for my players. Along with Gates of Firestorm Peak and the Monstrous Arcana series, I started to put anything Bruce Cordell wrote on my want list... while sometimes I've been disappointed, there's usually something there I can use.

The Ravenloft and Planescape modules were generally better overall IMO than most of TSR's other offerings though I'd probably rate Ravenloft's somewhat superior.

Heh.... though as a whole Dungeon mag was prolly the best /sigh/.

meomwt

First Post
I ran my 2e group through The Star Cairns and they had a blast. They refused to go after Lyzandred the Mad, however, claiming they weren't tough enough to take on a Lich.

Good job. That module sucked.

The Doomgrinder looks un-runnable as is, so I'm glad they never made it there, either.

We got about 1/3rd of the way through Return of the Eight (and were having a great time doing so), before the campaign imploded due to scheduling issues. That adventure had a lot of potential.

Never ran Axe of the Dwarvish Lords but chunks of it read well.

Arnwyn

First Post
There are very very few stand-alone adventures for 2e that were good. I should know - I have a farily ample collection of them, and semi-recently I converted all of them to 3e. Bleh. The ones that are pretty good, IMO (that immediately come to mind):
- Night Below
- Return to the Tomb of Horrors
- Gates of Firestorm Peak
- Dead Gods
- Return to White Plume Mountain
- most if not all of the Al-Qadim adventures
- Shattered Circle
- I'd add Axe of the Dwarvish Lords, but it was awful in 2e with the idiotic made-up rules for goblins. However, it converts and runs very well in 3e, ironically.

The best 2e adventures, by far, are those in Dungeon Magazine. The difference between the 2e Dungeon Mag adventures and the 2e stand-alone modules are absolutely astonishing. Most of the era of 2e Dungeon was flat-out excellent.

(The worst 2e adventures is the entire Ravenloft line, less Feast of Goblyns and Ship of Horrors. The rest of the Ravenloft modules are the reason wny 2e gets such a bad rap. Deservedly so, I might add. Ravenloft modules = unplayable crap, AFAIC.)

Remove ads