• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite 2e modules?

Ry

Explorer
el-remmen said:
Oh man! I use that one as the quintessential example of why 2E modules suh-ukced! :)

Heresy! To me the only problem is that it has a label that says it's a solo game. Otherwise it's like Vault of Larin Karr to me. I ran it for a whole crew of 1st-level characters. Several times. I also used it for a Dragonlance: Saga game when I was just starting to DM.

Those were good times.

Psion

Adventurer
Philotomy Jurament said:
What was good about Dead Gods? It's getting mentioned a lot, but I'm unfamiliar with it.

It's a Planescape adventure in which a being called tenebrous (the Undead orcus) is roaming about the cosmos trying to find his wand, which would be the key to his resoration... and causing a mess doing it. The PCs stumble across the effects of this effort second hand and eventually have to deal with it.

It turns out to be a very epic romp, light on the dungeon stomping, and with some very cool scenes and challenges.

(As long as we are on the topic, can I just grumble about how the visages were wronged in their 3e translation?)

Brakkart

First Post
I'll give some more love for Night of the Walking Dead. It's one of the few modules I've run more than once and it went down well every time.

Others I've enjoyed are:

Night Below - Ran this twice now, never finished it on either occassion, but it provided so many memorable moments for two groups of players.

Dragon Mountain - Ran and finished this once, and have cannibalised maps from it as well for another campaign as the mountain makes for a truly kickass stronghold.

Dead Gods - Never ran this, but reading it is a joy. Maybe someday I'll get around to running it.

Children of the Night series - I mean each book had 13 mini adventures themed around Vampires, Ghosts, Werecreatures and The Created. And demons too if you got the free download off the old Kargatane website. An easy way to add a touch of horror to any campaign.

JeffB

Legend
I really cannot say a whole lot good about 2E modules. IMO/IME 2E's stromg suit was generally campaign (fluff) material...I really liked the Planescape boxed set, From The Ashes, some of the FR products (Cloak & Dagger for one), The Van Richten's guides, Domains of Dread, and for my money GH:TAB and GH:pG are the best GH works since Garys original box set.

But off the top of my head:

Rod of Seven Parts

The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar ( I have a thing for "basic" low level modules)

Ruins of Undermountain was decent.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I have almost nothing good to say about 2E modules.

I recall really disliking the one about the Tattooed Girl and her Dragonman Paladin sidekick...the PC's got to follow them around and watch the events from their Novel unfold.

Same with the one about the Gods no longer granting spells to clerics. The PC's are expected to seek out Elminster and ask what's going on and his answer is--I swear to God--about 10 minutes of boxed Dialogue of Elminster explaining in Elminster-speak why it's "better to do nothing than do the wrong thing"

Not exactly a call to arms.

Anyway, Al-Qadim's modules were really good. Really appropriate to their setting and a lot of fun.

Treebore

First Post
The Raven's Bluff modules. The Bloodstone modules (were those 1E?). The Ravenloft modules. Other than that I used primarily Dungeon and my home made stuff. Most FR modules I bought because they had maps of cities in them, like Tantras, etc...

FunkBGR

Explorer
The Night Below!

Gates of Firestorm Peak!

And most of the Ravenloft ones - just avoid Thoughts of Darkness and stuff like that!

Ryan Stoughton said:
Fighter's Challenge.

Got more mileage out of that than anything else. Forget Thunder Rift. Give me Sturmhein and the broken tower.
Gotta go with Ry on this one. My favourite campaign as a player was years ago, built around Fighter's Challenge as a starting point.

I'm prepping a 3.5 campaign to DM soon, and I'm starting with Fighter's Challenge. I'm hoping to work in some Cleric's and Wizard's Challenge as well.

Though I do agree they don't really work as solo adventures, at least not without significant NPC help.

exile

First Post
I ran about half of Night Below before I had to move from Louisville to Toledo. That said, I was running it using 3E rules. My players were having a great time with it, but it did bog down a little toward the end (which is really the middle of the module) when the party was fighting troll after troll.

I played in parts of Dragon Mountain and Return to the Tomb of Horrors. I have soem fond memories from both of them.

Chad

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads