• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Battling strategy

Favorite fighting style

• single weapon

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • two weapon

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • two handed

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • sword and shield

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • ranged weapons

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • grappling

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • tripping

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • disarming

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • sundering

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • bull rush/overrun

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • spells

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • other not mentioned

Votes: 10 11.8%

Hautamaki

First Post
As a real life grappler I have a lot of sympathy to its potential effectiveness. The other way to go is the standard 2 handed great sword if I roll a high strength character, or bastard sword/katana if I roll up a lower strength guy (and dip a bit into rogue for sneak attack to make up the damage difference).

You have a thing for polls don't you? :D

ANyhoo, the stradegy would depend on the characters' classes. a fighter would be melee, rogue is ranged, casters to be spells.

A really old poll. Anyway, even in 2002, you should have known about Weapon Finesse. (As for myself, I'd rather not play a rogue who can only get sneak attack twice.)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Haut is making up for five years of limited posting by revisiting nine year old threads? :D

I prefer my fighter PCs to go with heavy damage, so Great Sword, Great Axe, etc., and two-handed no-shield in most other cases, when it helps.

Argyle King

Legend
Highly depends upon the situation. I tend to enjoy looking at things from an overall tactical level and deciding upon what seems to suit the mission best. So I suppose that would be 'other.' The other being: I like to have knowledge about the enemy, my allies, and terrain before the battle begins.

If we're talking purely what I get the most enjoyment out of from a 1-on-1 perspective, I'd say grappling combined with spells. One of my favorite characters was built in such a way that I could grapple the opponent and then cast spells from point blank range for maximum effect.

Hautamaki

First Post
Haut is making up for five years of limited posting by revisiting nine year old threads? :D

I prefer my fighter PCs to go with heavy damage, so Great Sword, Great Axe, etc., and two-handed no-shield in most other cases, when it helps.

whups... I was going through your old DM advice thread which was mostly all from 2002 I guess while reading current posts here at the same time and I guess I got mixed up and replied to this ancient thread not realizing it wasn't a current one lol

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
whups... I was going through your old DM advice thread which was mostly all from 2002 I guess while reading current posts here at the same time and I guess I got mixed up and replied to this ancient thread not realizing it wasn't a current one lol

There's a lot of good linked threads in that omnibus-thread that are well worth bumping, particularly if it can knock an edition war off the front page. ;) It's one of the advantages of being on a website with some longevity. No apology necessary!

Remove ads