Favorite D&D Campaign Setting?

Storminator

First Post
Eberron by a country mile. There are so many fantastic campaigns you can do, each of which makes perfect sense.

Dragonmarked houses - with most houses able to support a campaign by themselves
Nations - you can easily make a nationalistic campaign
Noir/crime - you can make so many noir adventures, with PCs on the criminal, investigative or 'caught in the mix' angle
Religious wars - Dark Six vs Sovereigns vs Blood of Vol vs Silver Flame vs Khyber cults vs . . .
Indiana Jones - archaeology in fantasy land!
Sharn - best fantasy city ever, I could run a dozen campaigns just in the city

So many good choices! I could think up well supported Eberron campaigns all day long.

PS

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My favorite campaign setting book to read has been Eberron.

However, the setting for my favorite campaigns I've DMd has been Nentir Vale. Small, simple and focused.

eondesigner

Explorer
We live in Greyhawk, but holiday in Planescape. They work well together, although most other settings would work in tandem with Planescape it has to be Greyhawk for me.

Wilderlands of High Fantasy. Close runners-up are the Principalities of Glantri, and Spelljammer.

Generally, I'm an old-schooler, and Wilderlands is what I started with. But Glantri was so awesome, Bruce Heard set up an amazing place for wizard characters in a microcosm of pseudo-European cultures. (C'mon, Belcadiz Elves are amazing!) And Spelljammer -- I still don't understand how anyone could not​ love sailing ships in space!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
1) Eberron. A perfect alchemy of everything I like in a campaign world. Scales well enough to do an E6 campaign or a 30-level epic game.
2) Al'Qadim. Cultural flavor out the ears.
3) Darksun (4e specifically). A ton of information packed into 2 books.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I am old school: home brew. Definitely home brew.

But being old school, I like to make heavy use of "common D&D", so bits of Planescape and Greyhawk, a little Ravenloft, and whatever else works.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
But being old school, I like to make heavy use of "common D&D", so bits of Planescape and Greyhawk, a little Ravenloft, and whatever else works.
Yeah, while the 2E settings suffered from glut and too much stuff, I really like the *vibe* Planescape, Greyhawk, FR and Ravenloft together evoke. I'd really love a Planescape "Lite" that captures the feel, but is nicely adaptable to multiple worlds and settings (you could say it already does that and that's very true of Sigil, but a bit less of the "surroundings").

Remove ads