• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Favorite Obscure Rules from TSR-era D&D

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
25% of all magic swords shed light in 2e. Let me tell you how many magic swords I've encountered over the years that shed light unless their enchantment specified that they did so, lol.

Far less than 25%.

Of course, in 1e, if a sword shed light, as I recall, it was equal to a candle, and not very useful.

Voadam

Legend
Of course, in 1e, if a sword shed light, as I recall, it was equal to a candle, and not very useful.
1e PH page 102

1716567399301.png

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I actually had it backwards, if you check the 2e PHB, it's in 2e that magic weapons provide light equal to a candle. Nobody I ever played with bothered to check that, including me, so for decades I thought light meant as the spell light, lol.

Voadam

Legend
I actually had it backwards, if you check the 2e PHB, it's in 2e that magic weapons provide light equal to a candle. Nobody I ever played with bothered to check that, including me, so for decades I thought light meant as the spell light, lol.
Huh, they also nerfed torches from 40' radius down to 15' and from an hour to only half an hour?
1716568600233.png

Continual light stones at 3rd level it is. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads