OD&D Favorite PC you have ever played?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
What's some of your favorite PC's you have EVER played? Ranging from your most epic and powerful, to weak but comical?
I was just thinking about posting a similar thread...I see this is OD&D? Never played it. Started with red boxes and AD&D.

is this thread meant for OD&D specifically?

Sacrosanct

Legend
One of my first PCs is still one of my favorites. 1e. Human fighter named Merdock. I didn't have the stats of a paladin, but that didn't stop me from playing him like one. Traditional knight in shining armor.

Another was a 1e ninja/bushi (hey, it was the 80s lol). Had gadgets and tricks for everything.

My favorite current 5e PC is probably my human shadow sorcerer/hexblade. Kind of a emo iron man lol. Emo in appearance, armored and EB spamming like iron man. :D

*edit doh! just now saw the OD&D tag. Oops. Didn't really play OD&D. Started in 81 with B/X, quickly going to 1e and stayed AD&D until 2012

Drazen

Demon Prince
My PC was named drazen.
A level 942 Wizard (Multiclassed) That loved to blast your sorry soul.
played him for 12 years.

jgsugden

Legend
Out of the hundreds that I have played over 4+ decades, my favorite was Myztek Dryken Delerosh. Built as an AD&D Fighter, he was converted to 2E and then 3E/3.5E.

Born Dryken Delerosh, the son of a Rich Thayan landowner, Dryken was a real SOB. He was cruel and had no moral compass. In fact, he was even willing to steal from his father. So, one day, when a messenger was delivering a parcel to his father, he killed the messenger and stole the parcel. In it was a magical helmet which he was more than willing call his own. However, he did not know it was a cursed helm (headband in this case) of opposite alignment. He went from being a CE jerk to a LG ... well, still a jerk, but one that played by the rules and fought for the good of all. He ended up as a PC willing to make the hard calls for the greater good.

Around 6th or 7th level he was part of a near TPK. The party found out a beholder was threatening a nearby village, and went to intercede, despite being out matched. The other four PCs and a few henchmen were all killed/stoned, and Dryken was only alive because he'd been charmed. However, the charm was broken and he made a last minute vengeance play an threw his entire necklace of missiles in the mouth of the beholder. Boom.

We ended the game then and everyone rolled new PCs. However, the DM quietly gave me the option of continuing to run Dryken. As a human, he could Dual Class and start over, not using his fighter capabilities for a while. He took the name Myztek and learned magic to better fight against the Thayan threat. That dual class turned out to be over a year in real life, and the other players did not catch on (despite his surprisingly high hp total) until he reclaimed his weapons and gear.

He went on to become the central figure in Waterdeep Politics, and eventually became a prominent member of Waterdeep Society. He was retired after the PCs took on and destroy Szass Tam and Thay was liberated from the control of the Red Wizards. However, that DM still runs that campaign world and he and I chat about once a year to establish the goals for Myztek, and every once in a while he calls me to have me play Myztek when NPCs go to him for help. He is the central figure in a secret cabal of powerful figures that keeps artifacts out of circulation, so there is usually a reason to seek him out, either to learn about an artifact, or to ask permission to keep it and use it. However, that version fo the Forgotten Realms is pretty messed up now - no Time of Troubles, Spellplague, or other developments since the Grey Box ... but there was a war that devastated most of the Realms, cutting the humanoid population down by about 90%.

Drazen

Demon Prince
Out of the hundreds that I have played over 4+ decades, my favorite was Myztek Dryken Delerosh. Built as an AD&D Fighter, he was converted to 2E and then 3E/3.5E.

Born Dryken Delerosh, the son of a Rich Thayan landowner, Dryken was a real SOB. He was cruel and had no moral compass. In fact, he was even willing to steal from his father. So, one day, when a messenger was delivering a parcel to his father, he killed the messenger and stole the parcel. In it was a magical helmet which he was more than willing call his own. However, he did not know it was a cursed helm (headband in this case) of opposite alignment. He went from being a CE jerk to a LG ... well, still a jerk, but one that played by the rules and fought for the good of all. He ended up as a PC willing to make the hard calls for the greater good.

Around 6th or 7th level he was part of a near TPK. The party found out a beholder was threatening a nearby village, and went to intercede, despite being out matched. The other four PCs and a few henchmen were all killed/stoned, and Dryken was only alive because he'd been charmed. However, the charm was broken and he made a last minute vengeance play an threw his entire necklace of missiles in the mouth of the beholder. Boom.

We ended the game then and everyone rolled new PCs. However, the DM quietly gave me the option of continuing to run Dryken. As a human, he could Dual Class and start over, not using his fighter capabilities for a while. He took the name Myztek and learned magic to better fight against the Thayan threat. That dual class turned out to be over a year in real life, and the other players did not catch on (despite his surprisingly high hp total) until he reclaimed his weapons and gear.

He went on to become the central figure in Waterdeep Politics, and eventually became a prominent member of Waterdeep Society. He was retired after the PCs took on and destroy Szass Tam and Thay was liberated from the control of the Red Wizards. However, that DM still runs that campaign world and he and I chat about once a year to establish the goals for Myztek, and every once in a while he calls me to have me play Myztek when NPCs go to him for help. He is the central figure in a secret cabal of powerful figures that keeps artifacts out of circulation, so there is usually a reason to seek him out, either to learn about an artifact, or to ask permission to keep it and use it. However, that version fo the Forgotten Realms is pretty messed up now - no Time of Troubles, Spellplague, or other developments since the Grey Box ... but there was a war that devastated most of the Realms, cutting the humanoid population down by about 90%.
Wow, impressive. I converted from 2e to 3rd long ago
Your character sounds amazing

Drazen

Demon Prince
Once upon a time,
In the beginning of the universe of the forgotten realms, primordials and gods fought.
Drazen was born a paragon human soon after the gods won. He learned magic, specifically how I cannot remember, but the point is he soon learned how to wield it and bend it. He grew up with his brother Druza. Who wished to master the body and physical prowess as well as the blade.
Drazen, my PC, grew up chasing after this magic while his brother began to master combat physically.
Drazen, NE, watched the rise and beginning of many kingdoms who wished to create mighty empires. It was the beginning of history. There were no roads, no solid built cities, and even the most ancient of ruins have not even begun to be built.
Drazen grew in this time period, chasing after magic, and soon inventing the process of becoming a lich which he did so to himself. He later designed a spell to ascend his brother into a mighty vampire.
We played awhile in our backstories. But really began playing at level 10

And we continued ever since.
A Elder Elf (Basically a paragon elf) joined us, a blackguard, a succubus, an hectachoires (Later), a gloom (Later) joined our little crusade.
We left forgotten realms at level 25, journeying to other realities
It's only recently we came back

Oofta

Legend
Hard to pick one single favorite because it probably depends on the day. So I'll go with one of my first PCs.

Trent was a human atheist wizard. He believed that the gods were just constructs created and powered by the prayers of the common man. Creatures from other dimensions occasionally echoed the memories of dead people as ghosts, but once you died you were dead. There was no "soul" so even wizards that turned themselves into liches were simply creating a powerful spell that believed they were the dead person.

On top of this, his origins were troubled. His mother only had him (and trained him to be a wizard) so that he could be a worthy sacrifice so that she could transfer her life force into his body. He was introduced to the rest of the players as simply someone who was going to be sacrificed in a dark ritual, that group never did discover that the leader of the cult was Trent's mother. It was only revealed to anyone years (and a campaign or two) later.

Unable to sacrifice her son, Trent's mother turned herself into a lich bent on world domination that became an off-and-on threat to the campaign world that I used as DM - we used a shared campaign world.

In part because of his beliefs and backgrounds Trent is true neutral and sought true immortality, some way to continue living beyond his normal life span. In the last campaign that he played as a PC, the group sought the pieces to an artifact called the crown of the seven gems (a loose copy of the rod of seven parts). Because he had teleport, the group entrusted him with all of the gems that they collected, assuming that if nothing else if it looked bad he was the one most likely to share.

In the penultimate battle, Trent and the BBEG are fighting over the seventh and final gem and are separated from the rest of the group by a wall of force. Realizing that he's about to lose, the BBEG tried to make a deal. Join forces and the two of them could rule the world together!

Trent's answer was a simple "I don't share." He then finished off the BBEG, took the gem and teleported away. Ended his time with that group of course, but still worth it. :)

Addendum: Trent had no intention of ruling the world, that would be too much work. His story as a PC may have ended but he has now gained virtual immortality because of the crown and his story goes on as an NPC.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Bingo Underhill. He’s a character I love so much, I’ve come back around to play him several times in different campaigns. He’s a halfling rogue, though he would call himself an entrepreneur. He runs a business called Locks, Stocks, and Beryl - locksmithy, accounting, and treasure hunting services. Despite sounding like an obviously shady business, it is in fact 100% legitimate. Much hilarity often ensues when people take him for a common burglar.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases