Pathfinder 1E Favourite adventure path?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Although it was written for 3.5, I have to say Age of Worms is my clear favorite by far. It was well-written, had a very cohesive and well-planned storyline, and gave the players an incredible sense of accomplishment at the end.

Among other notables I include Rise of the Runelords for its first look at Golarion. Paizo took some bold steps in that AP. Kingmaker is fantastic if your group is interested in the kingdom rules from Ultimate Campaign, a great mechanic in and of itself. Some of the others I have not played or read, mostly the recent ones.

A couple I would avoid are Curse of the Crimson Throne, which suffers from a messy plot line IMHO and Carrion Crown, which overused a trite and tired PF mechanic which I have discovered most players find incredibly unfun. No spoilers, but a GM who takes a look at a small handful of the adventures will quickly recognize it.

Council of Thieves I have heard can be a blast for players who enjoy utilizing the downtime system from UCam and political games in general. It is smaller in scope than Kingmaker, but similar in its divergence from the typical "dungeon-clearing" series.

ashockney

First Post
Here they are in order:
1) Kingmaker
2) Council of Thieves
3) Skulls and Shackles
4) Rise of the Runelords
5) Jade Regent

For me I considered, most inspiring, most interested in running, and most interesting to read/steal from

I have played in three of them and currently play in a fourth AP.

Rise of the Runelords - fantastic! A blast to play and our DM really enjoyed running it.

Carrion Crown - great! - but I played an Undead Scourge paladin, so that added a lot of depth to the experience for me.

Skull & Shackles - currently in the middle of this one. A few wonky bits so far but still pretty enjoyable.

Curse of the Crimson Throne - meh. Entirely too predictable plot-wise. Thankfully, our GM had to shorten it (due to real life getting in the way)--just as my Oracle of the Wind was hitting his stride! ;)

Starfox

Hero
I've played Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Skull & Shackles, some of Council of Thieves, and single books of Kingmaker, Second Darkness and Shattered Star. I think the best one is Curse of the Crimson Throne. The best single part is the first book of Second Darkness. Rise of the Runelords has nice part, but the variety of horror genres didn't go down so well in my group. Skull & Shackles is very good, but has some awkward moments. Council of Thieves is great, but lacks a certain variety.

The overall best adventure path I have played is Savage Tide, tough that was for 3.5 and never published in books (it is from the pages of Dungeon Magazine). Overlong, maybe, but very, very good. If you end that adventure path once the players have safely defended Farshore or raided Scuttlecove, it might be even better.

So, in order, only the ones I played the majority of:

1 Curse of the Crimson Throne
2 Skull & Shackles
3 Council of Thieves
4 Rise of the Runelords

Last edited:

Remove ads