• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat for Familiar (rat) Question

Aluvial

Explorer
I have a character who has an improved Celestial Rat as her familiar.

Since she has 8HD, the Rat has 8HD and I've shorted it a feat.

It currently has Stealthy and Weapon Finesse.

Any ideas? Track?

Aluvial

Jack Simth

First Post
I have a character who has an improved Celestial Rat as her familiar.

Since she has 8HD, the Rat has 8HD and I've shorted it a feat.

It currently has Stealthy and Weapon Finesse.

Any ideas? Track?

Aluvial

Technically, familiars don't have their master's number of hit dice - they're considered to have their master's HD for a list of types of purposes. Skills and feats, unfortunately, aren't on that list.

krupintupple

First Post
not to be dull, but as far as my understanding went, familiars don't actually improve their feats and skills as they level. however, i recall that a familiar is treated as having the same ranks in skills that its master does, so as to give basically infinite 'aid another' to attempts.

....should this be true, does it mean a familiar can use things like spellcraft to ID spells, or knowledge (religion) to ID undead, or appraise to ID items?

roguerouge

First Post
not to be dull, but as far as my understanding went, familiars don't actually improve their feats and skills as they level. however, i recall that a familiar is treated as having the same ranks in skills that its master does, so as to give basically infinite 'aid another' to attempts.

....should this be true, does it mean a familiar can use things like spellcraft to ID spells, or knowledge (religion) to ID undead, or appraise to ID items?

I vote yes, because it's more strange and magical and thus full of RP-goodness. I simply love the idea of a rat critiquing the idiocy of the barbarian in squeaks and chitters.

Notmousse

First Post

Yes, but you need to be able to effectively communicate with your familiar before that becomes a viable tactic. While a raven can do such from the start, any familiar that doesn't speak a language needs to have a master of significant level (5th, much more significant when multiclassing) before they can communicate effectively. But with the intelligence of familiars, well it's another roll anyway.

Remove ads