feat retraining - animal companion?

evilbob

Explorer
The PHB II describes a process of feat retraining that I find interesting. It's generally implied that this is for characters only, but would anyone consider allowing this type of retraining for an animal companion as well?

For example: the eagle animal companion has the feat "weapon finesse." Once it advances in hit die due to the druid's level, it becomes a medium creature, gains strength and loses some dex and ends up with a higher strength score than dex (str 10, dex 15 -> str 15, dex 14, due to size increase and +1 str and dex due to animal companion advancement). Weapon finesse is now basically worthless (unless you cast cat's grace on it or gave it some sort of special magical item that increased dex, but these are exceptions). Would it be reasonable to create a sort of "retraining" for the eagle to switch out that feat (perhaps a special "handle animal" check that could only be done when the eagle was advancing), or would most GMs rule that animals cannot be retrained in that fashion?

Thoughts?

Drowbane

First Post
evilbob said:
The PHB II describes a process of feat retraining that I find interesting. It's generally implied that this is for characters only, but would anyone consider allowing this type of retraining for an animal companion as well?

For example: the eagle animal companion has the feat "weapon finesse." Once it advances in hit die due to the druid's level, it becomes a medium creature, gains strength and loses some dex and ends up with a higher strength score than dex (str 10, dex 15 -> str 15, dex 14, due to size increase and +1 str and dex due to animal companion advancement). Weapon finesse is now basically worthless (unless you cast cat's grace on it or gave it some sort of special magical item that increased dex, but these are exceptions). Would it be reasonable to create a sort of "retraining" for the eagle to switch out that feat (perhaps a special "handle animal" check that could only be done when the eagle was advancing), or would most GMs rule that animals cannot be retrained in that fashion?

Thoughts?

Animal Companions do not change size for gaining HD due to Druid advancement (as opposed to an animal that your DM advances in HD to make a tougher challenge).

As to your retraining question: why not?

HeavyG

First Post
I'm away from my MM at the moment, but doesn't the eagle get Weapon Finesse for free because all animals with a dex higher than their strength automatically get this feat as a bonus feat ? (Or something like that)

If it's its normal feat and not a bonus feat, I don't see why you couldn't do this. In fact, if I was the DM, I would allow you to pick your animal companion's feat instead of it automatically having the default one.

evilbob

Explorer
Drowbane said:
Animal Companions do not change size for gaining HD due to Druid advancement (as opposed to an animal that your DM advances in HD to make a tougher challenge).

Opps! Ok, bad example there (I believe I remember hearing this from something, but does anyone know where it is actually written that they do not change size - I couldn't find it in the PHB).

As for why not, I guess just because it seems like such a munchkiny thing to do: "well, I know my own spot/listen checks are so much better than my dire wolf's, so I'll just replace his alertness feat with ability focus (trip)." Also it's not expressly said or really implied (nor any sort of rule created for it, like the handle animal thing I mentioned).

Anyone have any other specific reason for or against the idea (other than not replacing bonus feats, as mentioned)?

sydbar

Explorer
I would let the eagles owner to use his retraining option on the eagle, instead of himself, but then again, thats just the kind of person i am.

Remove ads