[FEAT]Springboad Step or How to get 5 more feet away free!

Romotre

First Post
this feat + spiked chain + combat reflexes + improved trip = too much
you get full attack action, step back. they move foward, suffer at AoO and if they survive and are still are they're feat they only get 1 attack. not even tarrasque can take a 10 ft step. i thought about a feat like this before but couldn't get everything to work.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Romotre said:
this feat + spiked chain + combat reflexes + improved trip = too much
you get full attack action, step back. they move foward, suffer at AoO and if they survive and are still are they're feat they only get 1 attack. not even tarrasque can take a 10 ft step. i thought about a feat like this before but couldn't get everything to work.

a tarrasque has reach though so even if you move 5ft it can stand still and still swipe at you. The beauty of this is that you get your action leap out of the way and wait for the enemy to get you. It requires 4 feats which a human could concievable get at 6th level (how many levles per feat?). Put ALL their points into dex starting at an 18, in 12 levels they would have a 21 to put into it.

now for a 12th level character this isn't too bad a feat to take. The quickest one could get it would be 8th level as a elf or halfling.possibly. I think it's balanced out quite nicely now. Comments questions concerns?

Romotre

First Post
What I meant was, not even the tarrasque can take more than a 5 ft step. if he (or anything) could, fighters would SUCK. the monster gets full attack and steps back, then the fighter can't reach him in a 5 ft step so he DOESN'T get full attack. Full attack is very good.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Romotre said:
What I meant was, not even the tarrasque can take more than a 5 ft step. if he (or anything) could, fighters would SUCK. the monster gets full attack and steps back, then the fighter can't reach him in a 5 ft step so he DOESN'T get full attack. Full attack is very good.

which is why the restrictions on the feat need to be as high as they are. Granted the tarrasque cannot take more than 5 ft step but it's got one HELLUVA reach on it. So even if the fighter takes a 10' step bacak the tarrasque can still get off some attacks....

Romotre

First Post
are you serious...for the last time...if the tarrasque steps back, the fighter will not have full attack, to illustrate that a 10 ft step is REALLY POWERFUL. now take two fighters fighting each other, when they both have 5 ft reach. the fighter with this feat gets full attack and steps back, and the other one doesn't get full attack. believe me, i've tried to get this to work but haven't come up with much.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Romotre said:
are you serious...for the last time...if the tarrasque steps back, the fighter will not have full attack, to illustrate that a 10 ft step is REALLY POWERFUL. now take two fighters fighting each other, when they both have 5 ft reach. the fighter with this feat gets full attack and steps back, and the other one doesn't get full attack. believe me, i've tried to get this to work but haven't come up with much.

let's take your example. 1 fighter with the feat 1 without. 1 gets full attack and leaps backwards 10ft. The seond one has to move in and get off his 1 attack nothing more. the other fighter has to move in and then get 1 attack. What about charge, bull rush, ranged weapons, etc.? too many variables that the other fighter can take.

I don't see the problem with a fighter having to take all these feats, have a 21 dex and pump his extremely low skill scores into skills he will use at a later date and time. Now how many fighters do you know that have a 21 dex have mobility, run, spring attack, and dodge? That's allot of feats to take just to be able to get this one extra feat.

Can it be done yes, but the fighter is risking allot by pumping his scores into DEX instead of other stats. Tis their choice but the fact is someone can blast out a full attack and leap away has been done in movies allot (jackie chan, bruce lee, jet li, all the people from crouching tiger hidden dragon).

This feat is meant for a more mobile character than anything else. A fighter (read tank) would probably not take this feat as 10-1 they are in some heavy armor and would not bother to take the PREREQS to get this feat. A monk or a rogue possibly, perhaps even a ranger.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Romotre said:

and I am going to use your tarrasque as an example. the tarrasque has a 25ft reach so no matter where anyone would go the tarrasque is gonna hit..

Romotre

First Post
My point was, not even elder gold dragons can take more than a 5 ft. and most of those feats are good anyway. and i think there's a reason nothing has more than a 5 ft it seems like it breaks the ideas of dnd AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH DEX.

Remove ads