Feat suggestions for low-level clerics?

Kalendraf

Explorer
Lately, I've become somewhat interested in the iconic characters, mostly from a playtesting perspective, but also a bit out of nostalgia. Most of the character's feat choices make a certain amount of sense. However, when looking at the iconic cleric, Jozan, I'm rather perplexed. From the information I've been able to gather, Jozan's two starting feats (1st level + Human bonus) are...

wait for it...

Alertness & Scribe Scroll

Those choices strike me as being both underwhelming and rather baffling. I'd certainly think there would be some more "cleric-ee" options to take. For example:

- Extra Turning or Improved Turning would help against undead
- Lightning Reflexes would help offset the cleric's low reflex saves
- Improved Initiative would allow spells like bless or prayer to get of earlier in a battle.

Wouldn't those seem to be more logical choices than alertness & scribe scroll? This has me wondering...just what feats do low level clerics tend to take?

IamTheTest

First Post
I agree that your feat choices are probably more stereotypically clericy. I have a Human Cleric3 that is trying to be druidesque. His three feats are Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, and Zen Archery. Oh yeah, he's the party's ranged threat.

Boddynock

First Post
I've just started a new campaign in which the cleric has low scores in both STR and DEX. Since the player is inexperienced, she was asking me for my suggestions for a 1st level feat (just one - she's a half-elf). At first I suggested Improved Initiative but then realized that it would be best for her to maximize her spellcasting effectiveness, so I've recommended Scribe Scroll for that reason. Scrolls aren't particularly cheap - but they can effectively double (or triple) her casting potential at first level.

'Nock

Jack Simth

First Post
Depends on what effect you are going for, cleric alignment, and domain choices - e.g., Strength Domain cleric might want Improved Grapple/Sunder (goes GREAT with Spell level-1 Enlarge Person and/or Spell Level-2 Bull's Strength). A Trickery domain Cleric might want to go with Stealthy or Skill Focus (Hide) (and maybe a race that gets a bonus to hide from being small).

Longbow

First Post
Augment Healing from Complete Divine is a good choice, a bonus healing to cure spells is always good (especially at low level).

Kalendraf

Explorer
Those are some good suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Longbow's Augment Healing suggestion is probably the all-around best choice. However, to create a stereotypical cleric for purposes of playtesting, I think it's probably best to stay within the bounds of the PHB/SRD. The feats I'm currently leaning toward are Combat Casting (thanks, Ferox4, I'd overlooked that obvious choice) and Lightning Reflexes.

IamTheTest: The archery feats may be good for low-level clerics, but later on, those choices will likely wind up seeming somewhat wasted. I find that casters often fallback upon their ranged weapons at low levels, but even by mid-levels (say past 6th or so), they tend to be casting spells almost every round.

Longbow

First Post
IMHO, I think for the 1st Level Cleric it´s hard to choose a good feat when you only have access to the PHB. Lighntning Reflexes improves your save but is it enough to really make a difference? Is Combat Casting really needed if you always maxx your concentration sill (and Skill Focus: Concentration is better if you really want the bonus)?

My vote would go for Scribe Scroll. While it may be too complicated for a new player it really can save your butt, especially at low levels.

(Or if the character had a focus like fighting with a reach weapon it would be Combat Reflexes.)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Longbow said:
IMHO, I think for the 1st Level Cleric it´s hard to choose a good feat when you only have access to the PHB.
This is an important point. I believe Jozan was statted up before a lot of the feats being mentioned in this thread were published. PHB is pretty much it for him. That said:
My vote would go for Scribe Scroll. While it may be too complicated for a new player it really can save your butt, especially at low levels.
I agree. In the game I play, our druid has taken Scribe Scroll and used it happily. In the game I just started DMing, the same player was strongly considering it for a Favored Soul, only changing her mind because of the FS's limited spell access.

For clerics, Scribe Scroll is a fantastic feat. There are a lot of countermagics and remedies that a cleric has access to, that they won't want to prepare, but when they need, they need.

Darthjaye

First Post
I would say invest in the Extra Turning Feat and then the no brainer would be Divine Spell power. It's from Complete Divine and it let's you boost your spells by making a turn check (to which by and only with the use of this feat you gain an additional +3 to this check. So, for example, if you have a 14 charisma and your level 1 you would still get a +5 to your turn check.) This is invaluable at low levels to make your 1 round/level spells last a bit longer, and it also boosts your healing spells. It also continues to make use of your turn checks when there is no undead around to use them on. Keeps all of your cleric abilities in use. Makes you important no matter what the enemy. To me this feat has proven highly useful no matter what the level and if you get a negative result on the turn check you don't have to cast the spell. You simply do something else that round and then try again next round and burn another turn use trying to boost your spell. If your not fighting any undead and you have extra turning, bang. Also, get Augment Healing as someone else pointed out as these two put together make you a healing machine at all levels. I would say, if you human,
1st level: Extra Turning and Divine Spell Power
3rd level: Augment Healing

By 3rd level your CMW have the potential to heal 2d8+11 (if you rolled max on your turn check you'd boost your caster level by 4 making it a 7 and Augment Healing would add another 4 to that. Cool thing about AH is that it can exceed the limit for the level of the spell i.e. the +10 limit for CMW)

Remove ads