D&D 5E Feats: Do they stifle creativity and reduce options?

Objectively? No. They allow for more creativity and increase options.

Anyone can feel like there is 'one best path' whenever options are involved. But that's self inflicted. It would exist with or without feats, and with or without multiclassing.

But some DMs have playstyles that reward some choices more than others.

Ristamar

Adventurer
The core feats in 5e act as key guideposts across the spectrum of normal skills/abilities, contrasting what is achievable by any adventurer versus those with highly specialized talents or training (akin to class abilities). Even if you run a game without feats, they can provide a lot of useful insight into other pieces of the system.

Of course, if you frequently disagree with the designers' guideposts, it would follow that you either dumped feats from your game in whole or vastly tweaked the system to your expectations.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
They already answered this question. I answered it as well.

There's no reason you couldn't make an attempt. But making an attempt involves a dice roll to determine the quality of your imitation. Taking the Actor feat means you don't. The feat removes the burden of the player making the attempt, placing the whole burden on the NPC to pierce the deception.

I think you are making a false assumption - that there isn't such a thing as passive insight, or automatic insight check calls.

If you try to imitate something, the opponent gets an insight check in most circumstances (it will be passive or active). It will be contested by your active deception check. This is the same result as if you didn't have the feat. There is no roll saved in these circumstances. You don't have to say, "I make an insight check" every time you use insight. Or maybe you do in your games, but in the games I've been in (several DMs) I will see a DM say, "give me an insight check" without being prompted by the player to do so, or else ask "What is your passive insight" or consult a pre-written list of player's passive insights.

Hussar

Legend
I think that feats do enhance creativity rather than detract.

But, I tend to come at this from the DM's side, rather than the player's. Far too many times, when a player tries to do something that isn't rules defined, the DM will set the difficulty far too high and/or set the cost of failure too high and discourage any further attempts to act outside of the defined rules. And that seems to be a very, very common issue from what I see on message boards whenever someone talks about setting DC's.

For example, in the recent Player's Decide to Go North, I saw more than a few DM's decide that the DC for determining north was based on 10 or even 15, meaning that most groups will fail far more often than succeed on something that I feel is pretty trivial.

Feats allow the players to do things without relying on DM's fiat which often is far too punishing IMO.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Actually I avoided Actor because it's the odd duck of the bunch.

Although if I had to come up with something imitating a voice, it'd take longer than a minute, so maybe it makes things quicker, rather than directly easier?

schnee

First Post
This is an extension of the OD&D argument that the Thief ruined the game. Now, picking locks and climbing walls and sneaking were the purview of a single class, and others - that formerly were able to do those things just fine - were now told they couldn't.

It's a natural progression that's inevitable. Just look at laws. Every time a law is made, there's a group that says 'oh, finally, that egregious oversight is closed', and another says 'that was completely unnecessary, and yet another blow against sanity and liberty'.

OD&D was barely more than telling campfire stories. 3E was about massive amounts of fine-grained crunch. 5E is trying to thread the needle in between, and it's using customer feedback loops unlike any other edition to do it.

Mearls has specifically said (on a DM roundtable with Mercer, Colville, and Lumpkin) that they aimed for accessibility to new players. That's why so much of the older game is embedded in there as 'optional'. I would bet Feats are specifically there because of the expectations of 3e players, but re-done in a 5E way. Much less necessary, much less complicated, very few restrictions on who can take them, no long 'feat trees'. Taking just one can be a character-defining act.

For myself, no, they don't ruin the game, but what we do take them as is guidance on what can be possible without a feat. So, Mage Slayer is the only way a character can interrupt spellcasting outside of Counterspell. Can a character otherwise do things to interfere with spellcasting? Sure, they can try, but those things are not automatic, IMO they'd have to be clever and fun about it, and the attempt would take their full action. Is that a house rule? Sure, but that's what 5E is about!

Nevvur

Explorer
Certain feats enable certain builds that are attractive to certain types of players. Your run of the mill optimizer will just seek out the next best build in a game without feats. I wouldn't try to use feats/no feats as a switch to social engineer my friends into being creative, and I don't think there's a direct connection between feat availability and the ability to express a variety of character concepts.

During session 0 of my latest campaign, I strongly advocated to my players for a game without feats and multiclassing. I also advised them they would be participants in part 1 of a 3-part campaign (roughly structured levels 1-8, 8-12, 12-15) and that we could revisit character creation and progression options between each part of the campaign. I also suggested that when we reach part 2 or 3, we would then activate feats, multiclassing, and possibly other options as a sort of "prestige class system." The players consented. They're going to hit level 4 soon, so it's just ability score increases for now.

I'm leaving the fluff of any potential prestige classes to the players. Maybe they're something new and unique, maybe they discover and join an ancient secret order. Or they can ignore that narrative framing and just treat their new abilities as a thing they've been practicing, I'm not actually that picky. The point is to shunt whatever imbalance these optional systems have into Tier 2 and higher, where things are a little crazier anyway. It enhances stability in Tier 1, and preserves most builds for players accustomed to games with those options (admittedly, it imposes some narrative timing on how the character acquires their build, unlike someone who acquires a feat or multiclass level earlier in their career)

It may not actually work out that way. As I said, the plan is to revisit character creation and progression options at a later time, and the group may decide to maintain the status quo. I'm fine either way. For now I appreciate the absence of feats and multiclassing for the reduced complexity. It has produced no noticeable effect on the creativity of my players.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
(replying before reading others' replies... apologies if I say something already said)

Their players can try almost anything listed in the feats by making some sort of check under appropriate circumstances without the need for rules text to overly mechanize it and, by implication, disallow others from trying those things without that feat.

Slowly, I am starting to see their point. I am starting to think the more rules you have, the less freedom and creativity the player's have under the illusion they have more "options" which were almost always options they had if they could think of it in the situation.

I always feel 'sophomore', and maybe that's why I like feats... but I can totally understand how the playstyle described is very valid, makes sense, and can totally result in satifsying games.

However, as soon as I see your examples I balked at your choice of them, because some of them give me the exact opposite feeling! Here is why...

Actor Feat: "You can mimic the speech of another person or the sounds made by other creatures. You must have heard the person speaking, or heard the creature make the sound, for at least 1 minute. A successful Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check allows a listener to determine that the effect is faked."

Without this feat in the game, why wouldn't you be able to try a Charisma (Deception) check to try and mimic the speech of another person or sound made by other creatures, contested by a Wisdom (Insight) check? And if Player X has this feat in your game, wouldn't it be natural for a DM to tell Player Y they cannot try that because they don't have the feat and it would step on the toes of Player X who spent a precious resource to gain that "ability"?

My gut feeling is that mimicing the speech of other persons is nearly impossible. It takes a huge talent to do so in real life, very few people (actually, even very few actors) can do that, and those who do probably had to exercise extensively.

I can't believe that someone can say "why wouldn't you be able to". Honestly, you can't really even try to pass like someone else. As for animals, maybe imitating some of them (dogs, crows, cats) could be tried, and some simple people can be fooled. Or you can change your voice to generically pass as someone else than you, but imitating a specific person? No way... try yourself to learn to modulate your voice and imitate one other person, and see how long time it takes, if you ever can learn that. We're not talking about imitating for the purpose to make a joke, we're talking about impersonating someone.

Despite the usefulness of this ability, to me it totally makes sense that nobody can reasonably succeed without innate talent and/or extensive training, which is what feats represent.

Inspiring Leader: "You can spend 10 minutes inspiring your companions, shoring up their resolve to fight. When you do so, choose up to six friendly creatures (which can include yourself) within 30 feet o f you who can see or hear you and who can understand you. Each creature can gain temporary hit points equal to your level + your Charisma modifier. A creature can’t gain temporary hit points from this feat again until it has finished a short or long rest."

Without this feat in the game, if a Player makes a very inspiring speech which the DM judges would give a psychological boost to their allies, the DM might choose to give those allies some temporary hit points from the speech related to the PC's charisma (and probably would limit it to those who could hear it rather than an arbitrary 30' distance). They might even allow it a second time without as rest, under appropriate circumstances (like a forced march while chasing foes who have kidnapped their companion). But with this feat in the game if Player X has it, it would be hard for a DM to justify allowing Player Y to try it, or to even alter the rules to have it work without a short rest or outside 30' because the rule is right there in black and white on a PC's character sheet that way.

Generically "inspiring" someone through speech clearly shouldn't require a special ability, because it's something very natural that every person does. But this feat is about a very specific benefit, in the form of temporary hit points. Why must the game allow anyone to earn a very specific benefit? The benefit is very gamist in the sense that it doesn't naturally represent something related to narrative, but is very much rules-bound, it is defined only in a game that uses HP and temporary HP in particular, so it makes sense that a benefit that leverage specifically on a rule requires a cost defined within the rules framework.

Keen Mind: "You always know which way is north. You always know the number of hours left before the next sunrise or sunset. You can accurately recall anything you have seen or heard within the past month."

Without this feat in the game, any of these things could be determined with an appropriate ability/skill check, or perhaps even automatically depending on the circumstances. And maybe it still could even with this feat in the game. However, if Player X happens to have this feat? The DM will probably naturally feel more reluctant to hand out that sort of information without the feat to the other PCs who lack it.

The feat specifically says you always know. This feat doesn't imply others should not be allowed to sometimes know, or always try. It just means that if you have this feat you bypass any chance of failure.

I would rather understand a DM who is concerned with bypassing any chance of failure, than a DM who is concerned with other PCs suffer because someone has this ability.

Linguist: "You can ably create written ciphers. Others can’t decipher a code you create unless you teach them, they succeed on an Intelligence check (DC equal to your Intelligence score + your proficiency bonus), or they use magic to decipher it."

Without this feat in the game
, I see no reason why any PC couldn't try and create a written cipher which could be broken by an Intelligence check similar to the one described. With it, I can see a DM having trouble justifying allowing such a thing without the feat.

This feat is more open to your sort of criticism that the previous ones IMO, because the benefit is not fool-proof.

Mounted Combat: "You can force an attack targeted at your mount to target you instead."

Without this feat in the game, I cam definitely see circumstances where a player will argue they can intervene in a strike against their mount like that. With it...DMs will feel the pressure to not allow that if some other player has the feat and they don't.

I would not allow something like that for free, once again because this specifically touches the core rules of the game. OTOH I can understand that some gaming group would want a much more open-ended combat rules, where you could try anything. It's a very different game from standard 5e, but it can be done. I remember that there were lots of talks in 3e about making the mechanics of power attack, combat expertise etc. being core combat rules open to everyone. So after all this is a good example.

Skulker: "When you are hidden from a creature and miss it with a ranged weapon attack, making the attack doesn't reveal your position."

Without this feat in the game, I can see a Player reasonably trying to not reveal their position after a missed arrow attack, depending on the circumstances. With the feat, DMs won't want to allow that if another PC has the feat and you don't.

Quite similar to the previous case, with the added complication that hiding rules in 5e often confuse people. I think it's an area of the rules that many groups handle with house rules (or just read the book differently) and this specific feat might be simply non-applicable for some of them. So I would read this feat as "to be used only if you enforce the general rule of revealing your position when attacking from range".

Valetudo

Adventurer
For the most part they are fine. I do think there could have been a little more balance and some feats shouldnt be able to combo so well.

Remove ads