D&D 5E Feats: Toughness, Inspiring Leader, Healer, and Magic Initiate

Stalker0

Legend
It's not quite that good because it comes at the opportunity cost of +2 Con. Toughness isn't +2 hp/level, it's +1 hp/level over the existing ASI. I'd rather have +1 to Con saves and checks than +4 hit points. If we say that the average hit from an average creature deals 8 damage, then it takes Toughnesss 8 levels to increase survivability by one additional hit over +2 Con.

A fair point..but it becomes mute if someone has a 20 con. And maybe that's toughness' niche, but it's still very strong in that niche.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's not quite that good because it comes at the opportunity cost of +2 Con. Toughness isn't +2 hp/level, it's +1 hp/level over the existing ASI. I'd rather have +1 to Con saves and checks than +4 hit points. If we say that the average hit from an average creature deals 8 damage, then it takes Toughnesss 8 levels to increase survivability by one additional hit over +2 Con.

A fair point..but it becomes mute if someone has a 20 con. And maybe that's toughness' niche, but it's still very strong in that niche.

It's "moot", not "mute". Sorry, I know I'm being pedantic, but pet peeve ;)

But on topic, I think you guys might be missing some things. I.e., hit points aren't only a factor from enemy attacks. They are also factored into trap damage and spells (like sleep). I'm not gonna say one way is better than the other because a lot depends on playstyle, but I would caution about saying why using an ASI on CON instead of toughness is generally the better choice. It's debatable.

Quartz

Hero
I believe it's gotten affirmation from one of Mike Mearls or Jeremy Crawford, but apparently using Fast Hands with the Healer feat, you can in fact restore 1d6 + 4 +HD hit points to an ally with a bonus action during combat, once per short rest. That's pretty darn powerful.

This is hardly game-breaking, especially as Healers' Kits are consumable and it's once per short rest per PC, though I'd argue that stabilising an ally at 0 HP with your bonus action is just as powerful because quite apart from them not dying any more you can then - if necessary - use your full action to expend another use to restore HP.

Remove ads