• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Feb] What are you reading?

Sam

First Post
Just finished The Da Vinci Code. Man, what a good book. Started it yesterday afternoon, put it down to go to bed and finished it on the train on the way to work this morning. Fast read. A real "Page Turner". Highly recommended.

Now, just to figure out how much of the story is actual Fiction.

LiVeWiRe

ENergetic Comm. Supporter
Sam said:
Just finished The Da Vinci Code. Man, what a good book. Started it yesterday afternoon, put it down to go to bed and finished it on the train on the way to work this morning. Fast read. A real "Page Turner". Highly recommended.

Now, just to figure out how much of the story is actual Fiction.

I also recently finished The Da Vinci Code. It is a good book and is a very fast (but very entertaining) read! You should also check out Angels & Demons by Brown...another good read and just as intellectual as his latest novel.

Reading both of these has me wanting to do a lot of research on several topics in the novels! Both definitely recommended reading...

I think I'll read either Deception Point or Digital Fortress (both also by Brown) next. I'm also contemplating The Pillars of Earth by Ken Follett and The Codex by Douglas Preston.

Anyone read any of these?

Thanks,

LW

Alcareru

First Post
Skarp Hedin said:
I seem to be reading quite a bit this month. On to Gene Wolfe's The Knight
Yay! Somebody else on these boards is reading it. (end hijack)

I quit Quicksilver (kinda got bored) and moved on to the Robert Fagles translation of the Illiad. Very nice-much better than I ever read in college.

Krug

Newshound
Just finished two Gaunt's Ghosts books; Ghostmaker and Honour Code. Both were quite enjoyable, but the latter has one of the quickest resolutions I've ever seen, like Abnett (the writer) is trying to tie things up so it doesn't exceed GW's prescribed word limit.

robaustin

First Post
Last book I finished was "Life Of Pi" by Yann Martel - a truly great story of survival in the face of horrible odds. I highly recommend it.

Also read The Da Vinci Code which was a quick, fun read.

In my Palm right now is "Eragon", which I am just started on. I am also reading "Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore in an effort to get myself MORE riled up about this year's election. On deck are "Pattern Recognition" by William Gibson and "Eastern Standard Tribe" by Cory Doctorow - for whom I want to put out a plug.

Cory Doctorow is one of the coolest new Sci-Fi authors out today. What's cooler is that his books and short stories are all available from his web site under a free license. I read his first novel - "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" last year and it's a great read. So if you're looking for something good to read - check out his stuff. IT's free, it's downloadable. Can't beat that! The site is: http://www.craphound.com

--*Rob

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
I'm a third of the way through The Golden Transcendence by John C. Wright. Its the final volume of the trilogy that begins with The Golden Age.

I think its absolutely wonderful. I disgree with his politics, but his arguments [in the form of these rich, strange, melodramtic, super-duper whiz-bang hyper-technology novels] are some of the best SF I've read in years.

Next up: I may just tackle the new translation of Swann's Way [becasue I'm feeling a wee bit competitive w/my GF].

Diavolo

First Post
i'm into reading harry potter right now. finished lord of the rings about a month ago, and after that, harry potter is light reading. i'm a slow reader as it is, but i'm already into the second year, and about to begin the third. great books.

before lotr, i read the star wars series of books put out by bantam books (i think that is the spelling) that was started by Timothy Zahn.

Wyn A'rienh

First Post
Right now I'm reading Gibbon's Decline and Fall by Sheri S. Tepper. Been reading a lot of her stuff lately. Finished Six Moon Dance before Gibbon's, which was tremendously good, and on deck I've got The Family Tree.

WizarDru

Adventurer
I'm currently reading Ready, Steady, GO! The Smashing Rise and Giddy Fall of Swinging London by Shawn Levy. Picked it up on a whim, and it's proving to be really interesting stuff.

I started Reading The High House by James Stoddard, and while it was well written...it just didn't grab me. Partly because I've been looking for a good Swords-and-Sorcery series, and it clearly isn't.

I think I need to track down some of Leiber's classic stuff, as I've never read any of it. I'm not terribly interested in reading intentionally "D&D" type material, such as the FR and Greyhawk books...but rather material that evokes the idea of D&D, if that makes any sense at all.

Last edited:

Remove ads