• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

February : What are you reading?

Nellisir

Hero
I wanted something different after finishing The Hypnotist earlier, so I splurged ($9.50) and bought The Winter of the World by Poul Anderson; The Ginger Star, by Leigh Brackett; and Under the Green Star, by Lin Carter. TWotW had a nice twist at the end that was both surprising and not; I enjoyed The Ginger Star; Under the Green Star was a slog and not very enjoyable. It's supposed to be "in the grand tradition of E.R. Burroughs and A. Merritt" (says so right on the cover), but there was just something wrong about ye olde hero being transported to what basically seems like Fairyland and hanging out with Robin Hood. Insufficiently weird, I guess. The Ginger Star, on the other hand, seems like it would make a really keen setting. Most of the references to it I've seen have sort of blown it off as not being Mars, but it's very cool in the far-future, post-diaspora, post-collapse, rediscovering-lost-planets category. (The planet, Skaith, has only been "discovered" in the past 10 years or so, but the human population on it has a history thousands of years old, and it's obvious that Mars, Venus, and Mercury have all been terraformed for a similar time period).

I started reading The Killing Moon, by NK Jemison, but have lost it (argh!) and started Red Bones by Ann Cleeves instead. :/ This is annoying because I was really looking forward to it, and I have book 2 (The Shadowed Sun), and now I can't read that either until I find #1.

Jhaelen

First Post
It took me a long time to finish Reamde by Neal Stephenson. For some reason I didn't really enjoy it, perhaps because there was a bit much going on between the Chineses gold farmers, hackers, terrorists and various secret services.

Today I started reading 'Vom Kriege' by Carl von Clausewitz which has been on my list of books to read for a very long time.

odinfellhammer

First Post
Finished reading Clockwork Angels by Kevin J. Anderson and Neil Peart (Light read, can be a little slow, nice allegory). Started reading Cold Days the latest Harry Dresden novel.

Remove ads