• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feint Whispers Chapter #4: The Hallowed Hills

jasamcarl

First Post
Two weeks have passed since the horrible events of that took place in the early darkness of the last day of the Festival of the Falling Leaves.

A number of problems arose from that fateful night, all of which fell on the shoulders of poor Sheriff Whiteclove. The loss of the Magistrate's office forced him to move the seat of government as well as an improvised jailhouse to the Hunched Miner's Inn nearby. The slaves that Daris had ruthlessly devalued through his many schemes and then purchased (only to abandon) had to be cared for. The Sheriff has been moving cautiously towards restoring their status as freemen, settling them on plots of nearby land made empty by the Burning Plague on the condition that they serve in the defense of the Pass. Such a defense would be needed given the precarious position occupied by Duvik's Pass in relation to the Lords of the Yellow Valley, notably the Aporos and Evenwood, both of whom lost their first suns in the tribulations othe Festival.

But all that is set aside for now, as the members of the Fists of Duvik find themselves mounted on horseback or in wagon, waiting for the long delayed aid caravan bound for the Order of the Risen Star to set out. Sir Whiteclove stands on foot near them. The small, blue-furred creature who has revealed himself through telepathy as simply Last, the only one of his kind to escape abduction at the hands of the redheaded slaver, clings to the Sheriff's breast plate. Whitelclove gently unhinges its claws and places it in a wagon behind the party.

The Sheriff speaks, "I'm sure the Order will see fit to provide this poor creature sanctuary. Given what that sand scum Salum was willing to employ and sacrafice to kidnap its brethren, it is not safe for either it or this town to have it continue to reside here. You should set out now. The All-Father might have given the monks of the Order infinite patience, but my more earthly sense of tact will not stand for further delays. Good luck to you. You are all my friends, even if you acted to restore my burdens along with my wretched life." He gives off a wry smile.

Tokiwong

First Post
Jericho nods from atop Saladin, his white warhorse, he gently pats the head of the steed as he cracks a wry smile, "We will have a good time, I am sure!"

Jericho glances to his companions, "Life is full of adventure it seems, I love this, can you smell the sense of adventure. And no Bhartus, no cheap smelly jokes, lest I start with my best dwarf jokes... ahh like this one..." he starts riding, an elf and a dwarf walked into a bar," he paused, "the human on the other hand ducked."

Festy_Dog

First Post
Norri laughs out loud.

"I like that," he replies, as he sits next to Last in the back of the wagon.

He gives the blue furball a friendly rub on the head and smiles at it.

"The good fellows where we're goin'll take good care of you Last. I'm sure we'll find your friends eventually while you're there," Norri tells him reassuringly.

He takes out his dagger and starts carving a little picture of a steroetypical monk in a plank.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Bhartus stitches his brow, trying to understand the joke. "Why would an Elf be with a Dwarf? And what do ducks have to do with anything?"

He looks at the blue furry creature.
Now we're babysitting this... thing. I wonder if it can read my mind. Ah Moradin what tasks you give to me but I am sure you have mightier plans for me.

Whitney looks up from her spot in the wagon, smiling a bit from reading her letters that she had gotten from some friends and her father.

"It's Jericho.. his humor is as odd as he is at times." shakes her head at the joke as she fishes out a treat for Mist her leaps into her lap with a loud 'Mwhour!"

Tokiwong

First Post
KaintheSeeker said:
Whitney looks up from her spot in the wagon, smiling a bit from reading her letters that she had gotten from some friends and her father.

"It's Jericho.. his humor is as odd as he is at times." shakes her head at the joke as she fishes out a treat for Mist her leaps into her lap with a loud 'Mwhour!"

"Good to see you well, Whitney, my heart was aching with great loss when you shut yourself up to do ye magic... it brings great joy to my big heart to watch your tantalizing form, in all its sultry glory..." Jericho grins a wide grin, giving Whitney a not so innocent wink, "I missed you too Mist..."

Mirth

Explorer
Sullen and serious, Tarowyn is the last to leave Duvik, riding out on his horse behind the wagon. Looking back at the sheriff and the burned buildings, the elf raises his fist in the air and holds it up as he gallops to the front of the line and leads the group out of town. Only when the town had receded out of view does he allow his fist to drop to his side. He rides on in silence scouting the path ahead for trouble.

Tokiwong

First Post
mirthcard said:
Sullen and serious, Tarowyn is the last to leave Duvik, riding out on his horse behind the wagon. Looking back at the sheriff and the burned buildings, the elf raises his fist in the air and holds it up as he gallops to the front of the line and leads the group out of town. Only when the town had receded out of view does he allow his fist to drop to his side. He rides on in silence scouting the path ahead for trouble.

Jericho looks curious, "Why are you so glum, Tarowyn, your manner is curiously aloof, or perhaps that is the typical elfy way?"

Jericho glances around, though his gaze is not as discerning as Tarowyn's.

Mirth

Explorer
Tokiwong said:

Jericho looks curious, "Why are you so glum, Tarowyn, your manner is curiously aloof, or perhaps that is the typical elfy way?"

Jericho glances around, though his gaze is not as discerning as Tarowyn's.

"Ah, Jericho," Tarowyn says and looks deeply into the D'orite's eyes for a moment before returning his gaze back the task at hand, "I am an old fool, pay me no mind. I'm just not sure we are doing the wisest thing by leaving Duvik's Pass undefended, especially after we were the ones who brought such pain and heartache to the town in the first place. What do I know? Mayhaps Duvik is better off without its Fist."

Krug

Newshound
mirthcard said:

"Ah, Jericho," Tarowyn says and looks deeply into the D'orite's eyes for a moment before returning his gaze back the task at hand, "I am an old fool, pay me no mind. I'm just not sure we are doing the wisest thing by leaving Duvik's Pass undefended, especially after we were the ones who brought such pain and heartache to the town in the first place. What do I know? Mayhaps Duvik is better off without its Fist."

"Pah, nonesense. That town's heartache it bought upon itself. Even if we were not the catalyst, trouble would have found it. Have no regrets over what you're done, elf. Even if you be near-immortal, you'll lose less years that way," says Bhartus.

"Shall we have a name for our blue thing?" says Bhartus. He sends a mindthought: Do you have a name? What do you eat?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads