Feint Whispers Chapter 7: Blood, Sweat, and Fears.

jasamcarl

First Post
The early morning mists retreat into the nearby forests as the Sun arches upwards, above the canopy so as to shine lite on the numerous tents pitched around Evenwood Castle. But occupied tents aren't what the light find even at this hour. Rather, hundreds of men brandishing diverse arms are striking their tents, collecting with their fellows and preparing to march.

It was a frustrating week for the Lord and the two heroes (Jericho and Tarowyn) who he would have lead the coming campaign. Try as they might to glean an clue as to the movement of either the goblin or rebel armies, no obvious pattern revealed itself.

It is in this context that the Fist finds themselves in Lord Evenwood's quarters; little more than candlelight creeps into the room, making it an oddly dank place that belys the stature of its resident. The old man, robed when you walked in, is now donning his chainmail, "Nothing!!! You'd think with age would come wisdom, but not enough to make up for the lack of good information in this corner of the Kingdom it seems." He turns to the five, "So I'm left unaware as to where to send my army and we have but enough supplies to maintain my men on the march for one week at most."

He smiles, "But I'm willing to take a gamble...." He turns to Jericho, "You will lead my forces into the woods. There you will dispose of whatever goblin refuse you encounter and raid their camps. The Aporos have been known to provide the humanoids with rations in exchange for slaves. Retrieve their stores and return with them to the castle. We will avenge my slain woodsmen and put a stop to whatever fiendish rituals the little monsters are partaking in, and you freebooters just might be able to restore some honor lost in your retreat.." He looks satisfied at that, "Then we can deal with the rebels."

He scans from face to face, resting his gaze on Whitney, "My lady, your father has asked me to see that no harm comes to you. Let your companions, with their strong..." he briefly glances downward at Norri, "..or relativly strong arms and more..dispensable credentials do the fighting. You will stay here in the castle with my son and I." He awaits the inevitable replies.

ooc: Apologize for the delays as well as the sloppy intro. Busy, busy week. :)

Last edited:

"And if I choose to disregard the wishes of my Lord Father, who only worries about his own standing and insist that one months recognition doesn't bind me to his commands?" Whitney asks quietly as she looks around. "I am a free woman, yet to swear fealty to my Lord Father.. why MUST I remain behind when I've proven myself an able mage and loyal subject willing to risk life and limb for the king? I do very poorly in the parlors of the noble ladies..I was raised as a woman of letters and the Art. I am better suited to that."

Festy_Dog

First Post
jasamcarl said:
"My lady, your father has asked me to see that no harm comes to you. Let your companions, with their strong..." he briefly glances downward at Norri, "..or relativly strong arms and more..dispensable credentials do the fighting. You will stay here in the castle with my son and I."

Norri shrugs, and lets his half-smile do the talking for him.

jasamcarl

First Post
KaintheSeeker said:
"And if I choose to disregard the wishes of my Lord Father, who only worries about his own standing and insist that one months recognition doesn't bind me to his commands?" Whitney asks quietly as she looks around. "I am a free woman, yet to swear fealty to my Lord Father.. why MUST I remain behind when I've proven myself an able mage and loyal subject willing to risk life and limb for the king? I do very poorly in the parlors of the noble ladies..I was raised as a woman of letters and the Art. I am better suited to that."

The Lord shoulders heave as he gives a gruff sigh, "Trust, my Lady, that I would rather your magics be made available to my men on the field of battle..." he looks into Whitney's eyes for but a moment, "Very well. You may accompany your companions. But by agreement with Lord Gellen, I am to provide you with a suitable guard whenever you travel beyond the walls of this castle. They are not to leave your side, understood?" He appears firm on this.

Tokiwong

First Post
jasamcarl said:
The Lord shoulders heave as he gives a gruff sigh, "Trust, my Lady, that I would rather your magics be made available to my men on the field of battle..." he looks into Whitney's eyes for but a moment, "Very well. You may accompany your companions. But by agreement with Lord Gellen, I am to provide you with a suitable guard whenever you travel beyond the walls of this castle. They are not to leave your side, understood?" He appears firm on this.
"Lady Gellen already has my protection, milord," Jericho responds as if his statement has said it all.

Last edited:

jasamcarl

First Post
Tokiwong said:
"Lady Gellen already has my protection, milord," Jericho responds as if his statement has said it all.

Evenwood responds to Jericho without turning, "I'm sure, D'orite. But the Lady's lordly father was very specific about what constitutes a 'guard'. You can best many with your blade, i'm sure, but even you can't do the job of a hundred swords."

Tokiwong

First Post
"No sir, to do my job you would need at least 300 swords..." Jericho replies calmly, "But I understand, your sentiment."

Remove ads