Few Questions: The Cooshie; Basic/OD&D

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The first time I recall seeing the cooshee was when it was introduced into AD&D in module S4, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, from 1982. That module a had a booklet of new monsters, spells, and items. Among the monsters it introduced were Valley Elves, Graz'zt, Fraz Uurb'Luu (or however you spell it), bodaks, chasme, fomorians, gorgimeras, pech, and Kostchtchie (or, again, however you spell it).

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Thanks for the replies! I thought the Cooshie was mentioned in Dragon Magazine, but wasn't too sure. I'll have to dig through some back issues.

Thanks for all the responses about Basic D&D---working on ideas for a group of NPC adventurers in my campaign which strongly resembles an basic D&D group of adventurers. I wanted to get some of the information right (sold by copy of the Rules Cyclopedia long ago), because I still recalled a lot of the stuff I liked from Voyage of the Princess Ark (being able to begin play as a 1st level druid, the bard class, options for half-elves, etc.), & I didn't want to get all of that information mixed up.

Here's a brief follow-up question: for those quite familiar with basic D&D, would this roughly mimic soem basic D&D characters?

*Human cleric
*Elf wizard with the Toughness feat (to approximate the d6 Hit Die)
*Dwarf fighter
*Halfling rogue (more or less for the d6 Hit Die & to have Hide as a class skill)
*Human monk

I wasn't sure if I should have the halfling be some sort of fighter class (maybe ranger, so as to get Hide as a class skill). Or, since the halfling class was a sort of Small fighter with a few special abilities, if I should have a human thief (to make things a bit more "authentic," so to say).

Once again, thanks for the help!

And here I thought you were a fellow Basic D&D player :(

That's okay though, the version doesn't matter--as long as fun is being had by all :)

Your Class and Race combos look good. The only one I would change would be the Elf--I think I would make him a 1st level multi-class Fighter/Wizard. He should also probably acquire the Still Spell Feat at the earliest opportunity, so he can cast in armour as a Basic D&D Elf.

Edit to add odd thought: You might even grant the Elf the Still Spell Feat for free, but rule that every spell must be memorized in this manner--even if he doesn't intend to cast in armour.

Game On!

Last edited:

arwink

Clockwork Golem
i agree with the comments on the elf above. One of the things that made them entirely cool was casting spells in full-plate while carrying a two handed sword. Nothing 2e ever through my way made me believe elves were an inherently magical race after that.

You might want to rethink the halfling a little too. They weren't really all that rogueish, more a subtle blend of fighter and rogue. Maybe a rogue/warrior rather than rogue fighter - that seems close to me.

Arwink

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Wound up rethinking the characters after all. Here's what I worked up:

*male human cleric
*female human rogue
*female human monk (for a mystic)
*male halfling ranger (gives him hide as a class skill; gave him a 10 Wis so he couldn't gain spells)
*male elf wizard
*male dwarf fighter

I'm still considering reworking the elf: maybe make the elf a bard instead of a wizard; still gets arcane spells, & can wear some forms of armor. Have the PC stick with more mage-like spells & keep away from cure spells & the like.

Remove ads