• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FF style Dragoon v0.4

Xris Robin

First Post
You know, I was thinking just the other day if it were possible to convert Final Fantasy to 4e.

I've decided the easiest way would be using Final Fantasy Tactics, since it already uses classes and map based combat.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Awesome, Kain has always been one of my favorite FF characters. There is one thing, though
generalhenry said:
Role: Defender. You are very tough and have the exceptional
ability to contain enemies in melee.
A Dragoon should be a Striker. The whole point of the class was always that they disappear from combat for several rounds and when they drop back in they do MASSIVE amounts of damage. Now, obviously removing a D&D chararcter from the action for 2 or 3 rounds every fight would get boring. Fast. But I think you could still focus on big damage attacks.

Oh, and a good source for conversion ideas might be XI. It has been several years since I played it, but it seems that their special attack based combat system would work wonderfully as At Will, Encounter, Daily powers.

generalhenry

First Post
A Dragoon should be a Striker.

I have mixed thoughts about that. There are no heavy armor strikers. Dragoons are heavy armor characters, with shields.

On the other hand, they're very mobile which suggests striker.

Hence they're defender/strikers the only question is whether they're defender/strikers or defender/strikers

Darkwolf71

First Post
generalhenry said:
I have mixed thoughts about that. There are no heavy armor strikers. Dragoons are heavy armor characters, with shields.
True, however in D&D spears/pole arms require two hands, so shields are out.

On the other hand, they're very mobile which suggests striker.
And they do LARGE amounts of damage. Which is the very definition of Striker.

Hence they're defender/strikers the only question is whether they're defender/strikers or defender/strikers
It seems to me, they heavily lean towards Strikers.

I certainly see where some concern may be, considering the use of heavy armor. It does seem unbalancing compared to other Strikers. Perhaps by keeping the relative damage output just slightly below that of the more lightly armored Strikers?

Last edited:

generalhenry

First Post
True, however in D&D spears/pole arms require two hands, so shields are out.

there are three spears in the PHB, javelin is a one hand heavy thrown, spear is a one hand versatile and long spear has reach.

Spear + shield is in.

And they do LARGE amounts of damage.

their damage per hit is great, but their damage per round isn't that spectacular.

But DPH v DPR aside it's their damage out to damage in ratio that makes them great in FF. And that's a defender trait.

Perhaps by keeping the relative damage output just slightly below that of the more lightly armored Strikers?

The good thing is that the decision can be postponed. If they're defenders they get extra HP and the ability to mark. If they're strikers they get extra damage each round. But for the most part there's no impact on their power selection.

The basic ability I have to define them is Combat Mobility (needs a better name)

It allows them to charge and then retreat giving them the characteristic melee attack from a distance.

But the class also needs a third class ability.

It also obviously needs a lot of powers.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Looking good. I like the 'Wyvern' named powers. Nice nod to FFXI.

Concerning the Lunge ability; (take into account, I am not fully familiar with PHB abilities yet so this may not be a valid concern.) It seems a bit powerful to basically give reach to a class as an at will power. Maybe this should be Encounter based?

generalhenry

First Post
Yes, reach is good, but they also have a spring attack more powerful most the time.

I like the 'Wyvern' named powers.

what other good ability names can you think of? I'm tapped out off the top of my head and the class needs quite a few more abilities to be complete.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads