• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FF Tactics DnD Campaign Setting

Squire James

First Post
Of course, if someone like Rafa and/or Malak is around (they must be, because surely they were dismissed from the party before Murond, weren't they?), a similar system can be employed for their abilities. I guess it'd be more like a racial ability than a PrC due to its fixed nature, perhaps worth a +1 or +2 ECL.

Like calculator abilities, only arcane spells that can affect a single target other than the caster will work in this way.

First spend a full-round action charging the spell, then cast the spell itself. Choose a target square, and roll 1d4+2. This is the number of 1d10 rolls made to determine which square gets targeted:

1 - 2 - 3
4 - 9,0 - 5
6 - 7 - 8

This makes it a bit more likely to hit the target square than Rafa and Malak had to deal with, but I think it's reasonable.

As for Olan's Galaxy Stop, we won't go there! Even FFT only let you have him for 1 fight, and this is a game that let you have Orlandu!

swordsman1612

First Post
Akunin said:

I never finished their write-up, but here's the short version: BAB and Saves were all average (I included the "+9 at 20th level saves" used in Star Wars), Perform ability-based talents that let them mimic other class abilities. There was another ability that functioned similar to the "Use Magical Device" skill (that skill was not a part of my conversion). Level in Mimic limited the level at which you could emulate another class. They got a few bonus Feats from a short list, a pretty decent skill selection (and 6 points / lvl, IIRC)

I'd love to see what you did here, mainly because I see this class as very problematic for a DM... many possibilities for abuse. Could he copy the effects of some feats and skills? Spells? AoO? other class abilities? Extraordinary or Supernatural Abilities from monsters?

On another note, I hated Rafa and Malak. Way too random for my taste, and too late in the game to bother building them up... Now Orlandu, he's pretty much unstopable once he learns that Vampiric Sword skill (was it Dark Sword?).

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
I think I'm going to scale character class choices from the bottom up, selecting classes individually to fit in. Here is what I am working with now, if it has an asterisk (*) that means I would like help balancing/creating this class. If you can help Email me at creamsteak@hotmail.com and I will send you .doc files with my current progress. I know cutting things keeps balance in check better than adding things, but I'm adding things to almost every class anyway.

Squire- This applies to 1st level multiclass characters. I'm using the rules from the DMG for this. I am expecting most of my PC's to actually start as multiclass characters and it seems to fit the game.

Knight- The fighter from the PHB but some bonus feats you can select include break attacks and weapon guard.

Archer- The ranger unmodified so far. I might consider trading in the usual favored enemies for some kind of charge type skill, but I'm doubtful its necessary.

Monk- The PHB Monk with the option to gain Hamedo at 12th level. Maybe there are other things to do with it, but I like the monk already.

Thief- A rouge that around 8th level can now start gaining charm related spells similar to a rangers list but applied only to people instead of animals. I also might include some kind of "catch" and poach related special abilities.

*Geomancer- I think this is going to become a sort of Shugenja from the oriental adventures book. Maybe I would be better off with a Wu-Jen. (This is one I would like help creating A LOT)

*Lancer- Able to perform his leap attack with a range determined by his level. Launching that jump is a full round action. Also gets double the maximum for any verticle jump. Needs work.

*Chemist- Lots and lots of skills related to alchemy, machines, and knowledge. It will start off only proficient with a few simple weapons like crossbows, and one exotic weapon "gun." The gun will be shown later on in this post.

White Mage- Cleric, but only good alligned spells and domains. Allignment will not effect its powers so you can have an evil white mage if you want. St. Ajora would be the primary deity, but others are possible. Deitys don't power magic, but arcane spell failure still won't be in effect. I would like to give this character some kind of bonus since it is unmodified as of right now.

*Black Mage- The Wizard with limitations on magic. Evocation is for sure falling under only the Black Mage. I was thinking he gets about half the different magic domains and Time Mage gets the other half. Needs a bonus possibly.

*Time Mage- Similar to the Black Mage. Maybe I should make both sorcerors? I'm not sure about that. Time mage focus would fall under spells that effect things like transmutation.

Mediator- Upgraded Aristocrat with gun proficiency and tons of skills. A squire Mediator Chemist character could build up a lot of potential with skills and manipulating people, but other than having guns its weak as hell if it gets into a fight.

*Oracle- Oriental Adventures Shaman with a few spells from the game so far... I am kinda clueless what else to do.

*Summoner- While the Time Mage and the Black Mage have spells with powerful effects, I won't let either of them have access to any summons. This would be a prestige class if it didn't have such a limited amount of choices. Using a mixture of all the summons (even astral construct from psionics) this character could be overpowered... but maybe somehow I can moderate it.

Samurai- I think this can be a normal character class. I think the Oriental adventures one will work, plus the ability to draw from his weapon like the Tactics Samurai.

Ninja- This looks like it would make a better prestige class. The ninja spy from the Oriental adventures book fits the job, just add two weapon fighting improvements gained by leveling.

*Calculator- Right now I'm questioning this one... Definitely prestige, definitely limited. Some of your ideas are giving me hints about what to do... since it is prestige I can work slowly on this one.

*Bard- Right now I am working with just the basic bard class to fill this job. Maybe if I cut the spells off of him and you get to chose one of the songs from tactics every other level or so...

Shadow Dancer- Prestige class from the DMG.

*Mime- Uber prestige class... Needs work. Hefty requirements and allows you to immitate any action you just witnessed. If you do not act on your turn you can take a readied action against a single opponent to immitate them precisely.
You make a perform check, and the person you are immitating gets a spot check to notice your actions. If they notice they can make an intelligence check to know what your doing, but if they have already seen you immitate someone they don't need to make any check. If they stop because you are immitating you lose your readied action.

The DC of the perform check with a spell would prolly be around 20+spell level+the ECL of the target. That brings the perform check to immitate a 20th level caster showering a meteor swarm on a target to 49... which is high enough to stop most people on an average roll. You could only immitate humanoid or monsterous humanoid characters. If there is no physical action to a spell it cannot be mimed.

If you immitate an attack it would be around 20+ ECL of the Target but you gain their attack bonus, not their damage bonus. You can immitate their entire. Of course you can only immitate humanoid or possibly monstrous humanoid enemies.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***The Guns- The standard gun is the pistol from the DMG in the renaisance technology section. 1d10 damage, x3 crit, 50 ft. range, standard action to reload.

Magic guns must be created to handle only one type of spell. Maximum spell level 4th. They will be very expensive first of all, and nobody will be willing to sell them for gold. They must be recharged by loading a type of ammunition similar in cost and ability to a wand.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Should the Deep Dungeon Exist? I realize a huge labyrinth with no light is a dungeon, and Im talking DnD, but there was never an explanation of its existence that was sensible.

Should the PC's be able to play one of the talking robots? Maybe make one like an Iron Golem? Or find it?

There was a third question... but I damned forgot it. Damned.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Archer: A ranged Fighter, or a Ranger?

Which will work better to fit the game?

A fighter with some interesting specialization into bows?

Or some type of Ranger?

Akunin

First Post
swordsman1612 said:
I'd love to see what you did here, mainly because I see this class as very problematic for a DM... many possibilities for abuse. Could he copy the effects of some feats and skills? Spells? AoO? other class abilities? Extraordinary or Supernatural Abilities from monsters?

I'll see if I can dig it up - I have a version on hand that is woefully out of date, and I think the new stuff is on a separate computer.

The biggest limits I was going to impose were that he can only mimic the abilities used by other members of the Party (active effects only, like a sneak atack or spell or a feat-enhanced attack - he could not, for example, mimic a character's spell resistance, or fire resistance, and nothing that was granted from items worn by the other character), the Mimic could only "mime" a character who had acted previous to him in combat (so holding actions became the easiest way to mimic, which keeps reducing his initiative), and he could only do it a limited number of times per day (I toyed with once per day per two class levels, rounded up).

I never got to playtest it, so I didn't go looking for any terrible ways to abuse it. I'm sure there are plenty. A part of limiting abuse was the intention of listing, at various levels, which special abilities he could mimic, or creating a list (i.e. Feats, Divine Magic, Arcane Magic, Summon Magic, etc) of effects, and allowing the Mimic to choose additional abilities as he progressed in levels.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
HEY! WAIT A MINUTE!

Why is it that I always have good ideas that other people get sooner. :)

Dude, here's a little proposition. I'm the dude running the Final Fantasy d20 project at Videogame d20, and, if you're putting this much work into it, you've met the same stuff I have.

I'd LOVE to see the stuff on Final Fantasy d20. Though I do have my own versions of the classes (more generic, universal Final Fantasy and less FFT-specific), alternates are always good.

So my proposition is to open up an FF Tactics area on Final Fantasy d20, with your help...this is *exactly* the kind of thing I want to see done with the rest of the Final Fantasy series, and, perhaps eventually, branch out into more games.

If you wanna check it out, go to http://stuffetc.netfirms.com/ff.htm

As you can see, there's not a whole lot there (FF 4 has the most stuff), but I've been hard at work on classes, and we could easily share information.

So without begging, I'd like to say: PLEASE?! ;)

If not, then I merely ask to link to your site, though it may not be subsumed into FFd20 in general, it's probably the most work anybody other than I have done on this thing, as far as I've seen (could be more than me :)), and I'd really like for this to be used on the site...

But, it's up to you, dude. I VERY MUCH would like this, but I won't weep too much if you decline. :)

-- Jacob Driscoll, Webmaster and Final Fantasy Fanatic

PS: I've got some preliminary stuff on a generic Geomancer that may be of some use to you...;)

Last edited:

I they weren't in tactics but what do you think about adding in the Red Mage from FF1. It's my all time favorite class from the FF
games and I've always thought it would make a real cool class for D&D.
What do you think?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads