• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FF Tactics DnD Campaign Setting

Akunin

First Post
For the version I'm doing, I'm trying to include all the classes from FF 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, and Tactics (the others didn't really have classes, per se). I'm also trying to make each into a "true" 20-level class. So I've got your Red Mage covered (along with the "Magic Swordsman", it's one of my favorites).

The Tactics classes I see as being the toughest. Besides the problems inherent in Mimes and Calculators, making a Squire, Chemist, Oracle, or Mediator into a 20-level class is rough at best.

Maybe after I'm done, I'll try tackling the "special" classes from Tactics as a set of Prestige Classes.

Creamsteak

Explorer
For the squire I'm just using "squire" in place of apprentice characters. Those are 1st level multiclass characters and it makes sense because of how much you want to multiclass with my tactics characters.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Red Mage

For the Red Magician, think along the lines of the Bard. Remove the singing flavor from it, and switch a few spells, and you've got your basic Red Magician. :)

FF1 is probably the easiest, since many classes are rather closely based on D&D classes as it is. The more unusual classes (like Geomancer) take a bit of doing, however.

Akunin, creamsteak, this would be stupendous information to add to the site (even if it differs from the "middle ground" classes I've decided to do, it's still a wealth of information).

It's almost exactly what I'm trying to do. However, I'm more concerned with preserving "flavor" than preserving the class in it's entirety. And I'd also like to include things like monsters, etc. that are common to the setting.

For Instance: The HP+10/20/30% that many FF games have as an accessory ability are, in my translation, feats. Toughness problem solved. :)

For Instance: Magicians all use arcane magic, as either a sorcerer or wizard (their choice, by level...e.g.: White Sorcerer is different from White Wizard).

For Instance: "Limit Breaks" are acquired by "Limit Points" that accumulate when you get hit. For the most part, they are just ultrapowerful attacks that vary with level...does require a bit of CR adjustment.

Mostly, for my project, I've taken similarities and melded them into a complete class. Of course, this leaves some abilities out in the cold, but I'd like to think I preserved the style of it enough to be cool.

I'd really love to include some of this stuff on the website...if you guys would be kind enough to loan it to me. :) I'm hoping that the site becomes a sort of central area for anyone inspired to do something D&D with Final Fantasy. :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Oopsie

*Doh!*

Sorry about that, mate. Ah, well, it's fixed now, so no worries.

Anyhoo, yeah, I'd like as much help as possible with this thing. I tried to recruit here once, but the post quickly got buried, and I figured there was a lack of interest. But if there's more interest, I'll be busy pushing stuff out some more!

Most of the stuff I mentioned here is in the process of being made into something pretty (particularly the Classes...I'd like to think they look really stylish, using FFT pics, Amano artwork, and character shots from games 1-10. But I'm probably biased. :)), so it may not be up for a few weeks, but my little hands are hard at work, and I'd like to team up with others who are also hard at work. :)

Creamsteak

Explorer
I can help with classes, monsters, and the stuff that involves stat blocks. I am not an artist, and dagnabit- I don't have a scanner. I have tons of books with appropriate artwork, but if someone can help me with art when I make the .pdf file as a finishing touch it would be grand.

Just keep talking and I'm sure we can get some stuff done... Tonight after some other things I must do I think I will finish up to Geomancer. The spell lists are taking time to make, but I might be done with them in the next 2-3 days.

Andor

First Post
What reason is there to try turning all the FFT jobs into full 20 level classes? They weren't portrayed that way in the game, and 3E already has pretige classes.

I'd say most of them should be 5 to 10 level prestige classes depending on how you want to spread out the abilities.

The only real question is if you are trying to acurately portray the FFT world (For example being able to heal someone by whipping a potion bottle at his head from 70' away) or simply trying to translate some of the flavor into a more D&Desque world.

One of the big ones is ressurection. Damm near everybody in FFT can bring people back from the dead, if they can get to them quickly. (Chemists, monks, white mages) There is a new spell in MotW called Last breath that lets you raise dead on someone if you can get to them within 1 round of their death, you might use similar rules for tactics.

And remember - Never trust the dancing girls. ;-)

-Andor

Creamsteak

Explorer
I am opting for 20 level classes to keep the game open. I think that a character could be just an Archer, but they really slow down on gaining abilities after level 10. I'm trying to influence people to play multiclass characters, and the squire class has influenced them to follow that line.

I do have prestige classes, the Samurai, Ninja, Calculator, Dancer, Bard, and Mime. I believe that since they require you to gain levels in multiple areas they make sense as Prestige classes even while I make everything else a 20 level.

It also seems to me, that characters like to think of themselves as a Geomancer (for instance), and not a Squire/Knight/Monk/Geomancer.

Of all my players, all of them want to be a squire (apprentice- 1st level multiclass character). You should look at my classes as they are right now, and you might get an idea. Email me if you havn't already, and I will send you the .doc or .wks file. (request which one you want). Thanx.

-Added
As for reviving... The monk gains revive 1/day at level 20, and the DC to create a Pheonix Down is 50. The cost to make ten attempts to create a pheonix down is the DC squared (2500), but the items required to make one are rare (namely you would have to locate some Pheonix feathers, or Pheonix down). So to guarantee yourself just one Pheonix down it costs 5000 gp and a quest for some feathers, plus you would need a craft or alchemy type check +30 minimum.

The Priest doesn't learn any of the spells from the game, just the DnD healing spells and one spell I am adding, Holy. The spell lists are in construction right now, so don't expect them done till sometime next week. I will add flare to the Wizard, Quick to the Time Mage, and the Summoner is begging for me to do some work on him.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Drool....pdf's!

Woo-hoo! :)

.pdf's! I'm extatic. I've just got purdy Word files.

Right at the moment, I'd say that the Tactics-specific stuff would go on a sub-section of the site itself...including the classes. Just like "generic" D&D.

That's the cool thing I'm trying to do with this -- make everything modular. The thing is, especially with recent FF's, no class is "pure." 5 and Tactics had "secondary powers." The ones in 9 and 10 have mostly uniform progression, but dive into other classes on occasion (such as Stiener, with his Break attacks, also gaining some powers from paladins of previous games (like Shock).)

So, these classes are for those who want more Final Fantasy Tactics "purism." While those who aren't as concerned may wish to take the Generic Geomancer instead (or rule the Tactics one is cooler)...or they may be FF6 fanatics and take the alternate Geomancer presented in that site (for Mog). It's all about options. :)

As far as 20 level classes go...thankfully, the Generic classes have an answer to it that can turn every class into a Prestige Class by shortening the ability list, enhancing it a bit, and adding some prerequisites. And there's encouragement for weird multiclasses (not in the least because most Final Fantasy beings are humans) in the form of "Affinities"...for instance, if you progress as a Gray Magician (Time Mage) and suddenly decide to take a level of Archer, you gain shots related to Time Magic earlier, due to your power with it.

And reviving...that's just something any Final Fantasy character would have to endure. People regularly come back from the dead. Of course, there *does* still need to be an intact body for most of those spells to work...:)

In Final Fantasy, death does loose much of it's punch. But destroying the body, or dying willingly (and not suddenly in some large battle) is irreversable. Any sacrifice you make is permenant, and foes can foil your rivival by using disintegrate, no problem.

And potions...just grenadelike items. :)

Now I gotta get back to work on 'em, so I have something to show for my babbling. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads