• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E FGG Lost Lands: Borderlands is 5e

Charles Wright

First Post
This is the book that ties a lot of the old Necromancer Games setting material together (Endhome/Lost City of Barakus, the area surrounding Rappan Athuk, as well as the "Sundered Kingdoms" which includes the areas around the NG modules "Aberrations", "Morrick Mansion", and "The Crystal Skull".)

Borderlands details the areas that fans have been speculating about for at least a decade. I know, I was one of those speculating fans back in the day before I started working with Bill and company. :)

Charles Wright

First Post
Quests of Doom 3 is in the works with a version for 5E. We currently have Quests of Doom 1 Vol. 1, Quests of Doom 1 Vol. 2, and Quests of Doom 2 all for 5E.

This Kickstarter event is us testing the viability of doing campaign resources for Fifth Edition as we're not sure if there's a market for that yet.

Charles Wright

First Post
So if that's what you want, let people know! Spread the word that this "water-testing" and who knows, if enough people want it, we might even do the older campaign resources for 5E, too.

Mythmere1

First Post
We had a great question about the 5e version of Borderlands on another thread, about the general flavor of the campaign and the basic approach to this book specifically, from someone who hasn't previously gotten any of the Frog God Games products. Here's from the answer I gave:

First, the campaign book is designed for traveling adventurers, the type that prefer hitting the road and picking their own destinations rather than following a set adventure path or exploring hex-by-hex. The Firefly series and the Traveller game are good analogies in science fiction. So it's at its strongest for a DM who likes making up his own adventures or using modules, as opposed to longer pre-programmed series. (for non-5e DMs, those big series are already located in the area, but unless you enjoy converting stuff they aren't relevant to you as a 5e player). The campaign area absolutely doesn't depend upon you having any familiarity with those resources, incidentally -- it's absolutely stand-alone. It's designed around travel, like I said, with a scattering of multiple one-session lairs throughout, and the adventure book provides seven longer adventures - again, not a series.

In terms of the flavor of the place, if you're familiar with Clark Ashton Smith's Averoigne stories, those are the best analogy. There's also a lot of influence from Jack Vance (more on the Lyonesse side than the Dying Earth side). Both of those authors portrayed worlds with a veneer of civilization under which there are some horrific realities lurking, both supernatural horrors and also horrors of human nature. Borderland Provinces weaves in and out the description of the veneer (government, trade, culture) and of the underlying menaces and horrors (the descriptions of monster lairs, ongoing villainous plots, and other such DM information).

silverhair2048

First Post
If you enjoy 5E please let FGG know that so they can accurately judge whether to continue to publish campaign setting books in 5E. If this LS doesn't do well for the 5E side there may not be anymore campaign setting bonks for 5E. Personally I am comfortable with PF, so 5E doesn't interest me. But to each his/her own.

Mythmere1

First Post
We've already got 379 backers, so we're looking for about 100 more game masters who enjoy running sandbox-type adventures! One nice thing is that we have player packs as well, so you can tell your players to go and buy their own gazeteers and so on without you having to foot the bill for their resources!

Remove ads