• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Fictional positioning and currency rules in 4e.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=386]LostSoul[/MENTION]: The thread on General where you linked to Story Games got closed, but I wanted to follow up on your links, which were interesting. They also took me back to the Lumpley Games posts about character sheets and currency that I haven't thought about for a while.

Naturally enough I'm of the view that 4e does have fictional positioning - both in combat and out of it - but it makes some featuers of the fiction more salient than others. The example I gave on that other thread, of the DC to spot the markings on the prone snake's back, is a fairly uninteresting example. Skill checks, page 42, some aspects of cover and difficult terrain, some aspects of movement and tactical location, etc are more front and centre in the game. One of the posters on the positioning thread suggested that nothing in 4e requires fictional positioning to feed into skill challenge resolution, but again I don't really think this is right. Or, at least, I'm curious: how do groups work out what is going on in a skill challenge, what each roll means, and thereby what the outcome is, if they don't rely (at least in part) on fictional positioning?

The currency stuff, on the other hand, I'm less confident about. I think a lot of the currency rules in 4e play (at least my game) are unstated and ad hoc. For example, one of the PCs in my game is a Warpriest of Moradin. Given this positioning, he was able to use both his polearm fighting abilities and his Diplomacy and Intimidate skills (both elements of effectiveness) to get some dwarf warrior NPCs to become his followers for a little while (new positioning, plus some new effectiveness and resources). In a fight with a hobgoblin-controlled Spirehorn Behemoth the behemoth used its Trample attack to take down a number of these NPCs (who, mechanically, are minions) - which meant that the behemoth won't have the trample avaiable to hurt the other PCs (so the NPCs became a resource, which was spent) but also makes the Warpriest someone who led his followers into defeat (further positioning, which has implications for the effectiveness of his Diplomacy in future dealings with the dwarves). Most of these currency rules aren't there in the rulebooks - it's my adjudication as GM, constrained by my sense of what the shared fiction permits or mandates.

Any thoughts on how to unpack this more coherently (whether in general, or in relation to 4e)?

LostSoul

Adventurer
I'm glad you started this, it's something I'm interested in! I'm not sure how much I can add, but let's give it a shot. :)

1. Fictional Positioning.

(For those who care about the origins of the term, I think it was first outlined here.)

When talking about action resolution, including skill challenges, combat actions, and simple skill checks, I think the key is that the system does not require any reference to your character's fictional position. We don't need to know the fictional details of your character's action to proceed with resolution; the game will work even if that is ignored. Here are some simple examples:

• Simple skill check: "I Stealth past the guard." Per the game's rules, we compare the result of your Stealth check to the guard's Passive Perception. This is the least egregious example; we all have an idea of what the character is doing.

However, how your character uses Stealth may be an issue. Imagine that the next room - past the guard - is well lit, with other guards/characters there, no possibility of Stealth. Now imagine two different uses of Stealth: Moving slowly through the shadows with your cloak drawn up around yourself, all creepy and shifty in the classic thief style, and moving up to the guard, then walking normally once he turns his head.

The method you use can feed into the next situation. But if you simply state "I use Stealth" - which is all the system requires - we don't know how you enter the next room. The reaction of the guards in the next room should be different based on how you used Stealth. You can stop and ask at this point once the new situation has been revealed, but this can be troublesome; if either player does it (DM or Player), there are conflicts of interest. The DM can't fairly make the call (does he maintain the challenge or allow the PC to get by? both can be railroading), and the Player is forced to set his own opposition.

A good DM will already know what's in the next room and make sure he asks how you use Stealth, because he knows that fictional position is going to have an effect on the game's economy. My view is that good rules will force DMs to be "good". If the skill check resolution rules are written in a way that requires that we know the character's fictional position before action resolution is possible, we don't find ourselves in this situation as often. "Good" DMing practices are enforced by the system.

My hack tries to get around this by removing verbs from the skill list and decoupling stats from skills. You have to describe actions in order to apply bonuses, either from a stat or your skill. It's not perfect and there are times we've forgotten to describe an action ("I sneak past the guard using Guild Trained Thief"), but since those skills are described in fictional terms they give us something to base decisions on, which is better than nothing!
  • Combat actions: This has been covered many times by many different people. "How do you knock a snake prone?" has been the most recent one. I think the issue is the same as above: the system works fine if you don't give fictional positioning any considerations. (See my next post for a controversial statement about 4E.) In other words, the game doesn't care about how you knock that snake prone, just that you apply the Prone condition to the character.

In my experience this leads to players focusing on their character sheets and the powers they have available instead of focusing on the game world and what their characters (and foes!) are actually doing. It's a strange problem, because it comes from the fact that 4E combat is so tactically interesting and deep without any fictional positioning!

It's not that the system can't handle it; there's no reason you can't make a Cha-attack action that causes Psychic damage by intimidating an opponent or calling for their surrender. (The game's economy is simple: Standard Action, Cha vs. Will, +2 if trained in Intimidate, Hit: medium normal damage expression of your level psychic damage; if the target drops to 0 HP he surrenders.)

It's my view that this doesn't happen often because the game system doesn't require attention to the fictional details; characters and situations are complex enough that it's difficult for players to keep both their powers/abilities and the fictional positions in their mind at the same time.

I tried to change this in my hack by adding Triggers to martial encounter powers, decoupling stats from attack rolls, and adding all sorts of modifiers to attacks and defences based on the action taken. Again, it's not perfect, but players who take the time to focus on the fictional situation usually end up much more likely to succeed than players who don't. (I've seen 2nd level characters engage with the fiction and gain high attack roll modifiers than 6th level characters who did not.) This is okay in my hack since it's a player challenge-based game.
  • Skill Challenges: These have the same issue as simple one-off skill checks, but there's another wrinkle: how does each action build up to success or failure in the skill challenge as a whole?

Five characters can make five totally unrelated skill checks and those unrelated checks can add up to success.

Let's say we want to talk to the Duke. The PCs take all sorts of different actions, none of which are really related. "I greet the Duke,", "I comment on his family's storied History", "I look buff and capable", etc. All of these are initial actions that should prompt a necessary further action along the same lines, but suddenly we have success on the challenge as a whole.

A good DM can get around this but it's a lot of work for the DM that isn't helped out by the system.

And again, skill checks can be made without consulting the fictional situation: "I use Diplomacy", "I use Athletics", "I use History", etc.; this doesn't make sense, but the system doesn't require it to, and this was made all the worse by the write-ups of skill challenges with their "required skills" or whatever.

Now on to the controversial statement...

LostSoul

Adventurer
This is going to be a controversial statement. I don't want people to think I'm just bashing 4E or edition warring; it's made in good faith in an attempt to understand how 4E works.

It's my opinion that movement and position, including terrain, in the combat system is not fictional; it's part of the real world, just like character sheets and dice.

I think it's because tactical positioning, movement, cover, terrain, etc. are all put on the grid and interacted with by moving miniatures around. When you play 4E it's too easy to see the lines on the grid - both the 5' squares and the lines denoting walls and terrain - instead of what they represent in the game world.

One of the players in my 4E hack game recently joined a regular 4E game. She described a lot of the things I noticed back when I was playing regular 4E - players staring at their character sheets, etc. She described an encounter in a forest with vines on the map as difficult terrain, but when she was playing she didn't imagine vines - she saw squiggly lines drawn on a sheet of grid paper.

I think this makes it harder to use fictional positioning in play. I can imagine a wand or orb wizard grabbing a vine to hold out in front of him to help parry a club or mace (but not a sword or axe), or using the vines to garrotte a foe, or possibly a trip attack. I don't think these often occur to players because it's too easy to focus on the lines on the paper instead of what they represent in the game world.

I think if you drop minis then terrain, movement, tactical positions, cover, all of that moves from the real world into the imagined game world, and it's more likely that it will be interacted with.

edit: I have some thoughts on 4E's currency regarding positioning elements of characters, but that will have to wait.

LostSoul

Adventurer
On to my thoughts about currency. I don't think I'm well-versed in 4E's currency, since I've been focused on my own game.

The currency stuff, on the other hand, I'm less confident about. I think a lot of the currency rules in 4e play (at least my game) are unstated and ad hoc. For example, one of the PCs in my game is a Warpriest of Moradin. Given this positioning, he was able to use both his polearm fighting abilities and his Diplomacy and Intimidate skills (both elements of effectiveness) to get some dwarf warrior NPCs to become his followers for a little while (new positioning, plus some new effectiveness and resources).

One of the reasons I really like 4E is because the currency of the game is so transparent. It's easy to give everything a level, and from that level you can determine XP, DCs, GP, encounter difficulty, and other game mechanics.

How does what your dwarf cleric did feed into the currency of the game? I think it's pretty simple. He made some checks against DCs - DCs which have levels attached to them - and is therefore due some kind of consequence. The consequence, I suggest, should be equal to the level of the DCs.

How to translate the fictional positioning into concrete game mechanics? I think that's pretty simple as well. You just have to look at magic items that provide the same benefit - items such as the Ebony Fly (in this situation) provide a template that can be used to determine the effectiveness of the PC's resource!

(Since things like the Ebony Fly are Daily, I'd suggest that the NPCs are too tired after a single encounter to be of much use. They could probably assist in Aid Another actions - that's fictional positioning in play! - but no more fighting.)

The only criticism I have of 4E is that it doesn't suggest this sort of use of its mechanics in the DMG. This is the whole reason I use 4E as the base for my hack; I often marvel at how easy it is to make these sorts of rulings: how much should something cost, how many guys can you recruit and for how much, how much damage does a catapult made by a 7th-level character do, and other such questions.

So I agree with you that they are unstated, but there's a really robust system underneath the hood. I think the key is that everything has a level; from that, pretty much anything else can be determined.

(The only issue I've noticed is time; it doesn't seem to be part of the game's currency. I don't think that's exactly true, though; it's not really time that the game is concerned with, but encounters, short rests, and extended rests. How one deals with these can make a big difference in the choices the players make. Time was one of the big things that I had to add to my hack, and I did it in more of a game-world passing of time sort of way, but I imagine you could work out a system that ties actions to rests that works better than what I've come up with.)

In a fight with a hobgoblin-controlled Spirehorn Behemoth the behemoth used its Trample attack to take down a number of these NPCs (who, mechanically, are minions) - which meant that the behemoth won't have the trample avaiable to hurt the other PCs (so the NPCs became a resource, which was spent) but also makes the Warpriest someone who led his followers into defeat (further positioning, which has implications for the effectiveness of his Diplomacy in future dealings with the dwarves). Most of these currency rules aren't there in the rulebooks - it's my adjudication as GM, constrained by my sense of what the shared fiction permits or mandates.

So, based on the above, I think that these currency rules are in the rulebooks, they're just not framed in that way. (It would be interesting to draw some flowcharts about how 4E's currency works.)

There are some missing places; if you get into a skill challenge to recruit more dwarves, it's only the DM's call that determines the Complexity of the challenge. As a comparison, when you have a "martial loss" (whatever that means; the vague notion of a martial loss is what allows fictional positioning to apply) in my hack, that gives you a -4 penalty to "Reaction Rolls", which I use to determine the Complexity of a social skill challenge.

However, even in the (in my opinion) flawed skill challenge write-ups that you see from Wizards, you can easily apply the fictional positioning into effectiveness - would you make Diplomacy a skill in a skill challenge with the dwarf fortress from which you gathered your recruits?

Anyway, that's how I see 4E's currency working. I added some things for my hack (time, as above, and I did work on interaction with settlements) but I think I only spelled out what already existed. I'm not sure how the currency of the game works with the advice in the DMG and the new monster damage expressions; someone who's not so far removed from the game as I could probably do a better job at that!

AeroDm

First Post
This is a cool issue and I don't mean for this response to sound dismissive, so please read it as though I'm trying to paint similar arguments from a new angle.

Video games have a tremendous leg up on table-top RPGs in being able to instantly compute tons of variables to allow for incredible system depth and balance (to say nothing of visuals). They stumble, though, in being able to facilitate free-form or creative play outside what they predicted. That is where table-top games excel.

It feels to me that when people get hung up on stuff like fictional positioning or "can a snake be knocked prone" they are shooting for the worst of both worlds. For a system to consistently resolve those questions, it would have to be as limited an environment as a video game but, instead of dealing in decimals, still be constrained by variables from 1-20 and limited to intergers.

Don't get me wrong, I too want an elegant system that rapidly resolves issues and I think discussing limitations is the best way to spur ideas that lead to such a system. It often, though, feels like a core part of the desire for consistent resolution is a lack of trust in the DM. Yet we still let the DM build encounters, decide what skills are useful in a skill challenge, or decide the emotional response of NPCs. There are tons of opportunities for a bad DM to be bad, but it often feels like we are diminishing opportunities for good DMs to be good.

Incenjucar

Legend
I've always been pretty comfortable with narrative shorthand, but it may require a certain range of mindsets, comfort levels, and methods. For those who find it difficult to get past the jargon and lines and strange translations between the rules and the story, listening to some of the old narrative music, like Peter and the Wolf, with no visual accompaniment, might help.

yeloson

First Post
Hi,

I'm also "Bankuei", the guy who wrote that post on Fictional Positioning (based on Emily Care Boss's writings).

One thing that's pretty interesting to see with D&D 4E, in general, is that you'll often find that how a group handles it's Fictional Positioning is also related to how it's currency works in 4E.

"I'm going to roll a barrel down the stairs at these orcs!"
a) "Ok, we'll count that as a ranged 'Aid Attack' for your friends next turn"
b) "Roll to hit vs. Reflexes! We'll use Page 42. They'll be knocked prone for medium damage!"
c) "Aw, geez. There's like no room to jump out the way! Don't even roll to hit, just roll damage!"
d) "Dude, the barrels are full of scrap metal, these guys are just knocked out, or, at least, knocked silly long enough for the rest of you to come finish them."

(I'm sure you can easily imagine examples for a Skill Challenge)

Notice that all of these, are valid possible rulings, and go from least powerful to very powerful. If you have stuff under a certain level of effect, players will just ignore the fictional stuff and stick to their powers, and if you have stuff over a certain level of effect, players will always be looking for fictional uses rather than their mechanical abilities.

Now, when you think about that range, you also start coming up with how much Fictional Positioning plays in the role of Currency, in -that- specific game. On one end, barely anything, on the other end, incredibly important!

Whatever you end up with, it's crucial that the whole group has some idea of what sorts of things are likely to happen- if the same action is very powerful and overrides the detailed mechanics one time, then barely impacts them the next time, the players won't know what works or doesn't work (and, likely end up going back to sticking to mechanics only - reliability is what most folks will go for).

If you want to think about it really game-theory-like- D&D4E has a strong mechanical currency system, with a variable Fictional Positioning component- in some games, it has minimal impact, in others, it's all important (with regards to Currency as being described by Lumpley/Vincent Baker).

Chris

LostSoul

Adventurer
Interesting. Thanks for that, Chris.

"I'm going to roll a barrel down the stairs at these orcs!"
b) "Roll to hit vs. Reflexes! We'll use Page 42. They'll be knocked prone for medium damage!"

This is the option I would have chosen.

My experiences were generally that, even though I (as DM) allowed such actions, and when PCs attempted these actions the players noted that they were even better than their PC's at-will actions, I rarely saw this sort of thing happen.

In one very difficult encounter (5 8th-level PCs against a MM1 Human Lich), I tried to load the encounter area with neat stuff that could be used. I can recall a strange grasping tentacle thing and some arcane experiments. (I didn't pre-determine how they could be used; I wanted to leave that for the players to decide.) I told the players that they could manipulate these things.

The players didn't pay much attention to anything that wasn't on their character sheet, not until the very end of the encounter (when an Immovable Rod was jammed into the Lich's mouth to keep him from maintaining his zone), when it looked like the PCs were going to die.

My experience has led me to believe that, unless the players are really focused on the fictional situation, the game's complexity makes it hard to deal with all the choices you've got on your character sheet as well as the ones the fictional situation presents.

pemerton

Legend
Fictional positioning

When talking about action resolution, including skill challenges, combat actions, and simple skill checks, I think the key is that the system does not require any reference to your character's fictional position. We don't need to know the fictional details of your character's action to proceed with resolution

<snip>

My view is that good rules will force DMs to be "good". If the skill check resolution rules are written in a way that requires that we know the character's fictional position before action resolution is possible, we don't find ourselves in this situation as often.
I think this is a matter of degree - and hence depends a bit on the comparison class. For example, your stealth example could play out much the same way in Runequest, Rolemaster or 3E.

That said, I think you're perhaps a little hard on 4e here. To use stealth requires either cover, concealment or a distraction. So when the player says that his/her PC is going to use Stealth to sneak past the guard, the relevant cover, concealment or distraction has to be indicated, and there is a reasonable chance that that will help set up the next scene.

Skill Challenges: These have the same issue as simple one-off skill checks, but there's another wrinkle: how does each action build up to success or failure in the skill challenge as a whole?

<snip>

Five characters can make five totally unrelated skill checks and those unrelated checks can add up to success.
I think that what you describe here is a poorly-played and adjudicated skill challenge, but it's hard to work out what the designers had in mind because the rules are pretty poorly written, and the examples illustrate features of the system that the rules don't expressly mention (for example, the sample of play in the Rules Compendium illustrates the GM determining the complication that results from a failed skill challenge on a purely metagame basis, rather than as the natural evolution of gameworld causal logic, but nowhere do the rules point out the need/desirability of the GM adjudicating in this sort of way).

Let's say we want to talk to the Duke. The PCs take all sorts of different actions, none of which are really related. "I greet the Duke,", "I comment on his family's storied History", "I look buff and capable", etc. All of these are initial actions that should prompt a necessary further action along the same lines, but suddenly we have success on the challenge as a whole.

A good DM can get around this but it's a lot of work for the DM that isn't helped out by the system.
As best I can judge from the relevant passages in the PHB and DMG, the idea is that the GM should resolve each check in turn, presenting the new ficitonal situation that results from success or failure at each attempted check. This reduces the problem of unrelated actions at least a bit, in my experience. What the rules don't give advice on is how the GM can help bring the situation to a culmination as the final checks start to be made - there is nothing analogous to the discussion of narrating action point gain/loss in the HeroWars rulebook, for example, and guidance has to be extracted from the samples of play.

skill checks can be made without consulting the fictional situation: "I use Diplomacy", "I use Athletics", "I use History", etc.; this doesn't make sense, but the system doesn't require it to
The books expressly state that the player should give some account of what his/her PC is doing, and if you take seriously that the unfolding situation has to be narrated than such an account will be a necessary input. I agree that the books don't do a very good job of explaining how this all might work.

this was made all the worse by the write-ups of skill challenges with their "required skills" or whatever
I think that these examples are best read as examples of the sorts of notes a GM might make to help run a skill challenge, with the "required skills" treated more as a "here's how I envisage this might play out" crib sheet, which will have to be departed from to a greater or lesser extent as the challenge is actually resolved. There is no doubt that this could have been better handled in the rulebooks.

Combat actions <snip> the system works fine if you don't give fictional positioning any considerations.
It's my opinion that movement and position, including terrain, in the combat system is not fictional; it's part of the real world, just like character sheets and dice.

I think it's because tactical positioning, movement, cover, terrain, etc. are all put on the grid and interacted with by moving miniatures around.

<snip>

One of the players in my 4E hack game recently joined a regular 4E game. She described a lot of the things I noticed back when I was playing regular 4E - players staring at their character sheets, etc. She described an encounter in a forest with vines on the map as difficult terrain, but when she was playing she didn't imagine vines - she saw squiggly lines drawn on a sheet of grid paper.

I think this makes it harder to use fictional positioning in play. I can imagine a wand or orb wizard grabbing a vine to hold out in front of him to help parry a club or mace (but not a sword or axe), or using the vines to garrotte a foe, or possibly a trip attack. I don't think these often occur to players because it's too easy to focus on the lines on the paper instead of what they represent in the game world.

I think if you drop minis then terrain, movement, tactical positions, cover, all of that moves from the real world into the imagined game world, and it's more likely that it will be interacted with.
I'm not sure whether my experience here is different from yours, or whether your standards for engagement with the fiction (and the sort of engagement you might have experienced playing RQ, RM, AD&D, Traveller etc) are higher.

I'm not sure what I would expect my players to do with vines. I know that they interact with furniture from time to time (including to gain cover based on vertical rather than horizontal considerations) - which means that they're treating the squiggles on my map as guides to the fictional content rather than the content per se. They fly up into trees (which on my maps are green squiggles), take advantage of slopes and drops, etc. In the last session, too, a Spirehorn Behemoth crashed through some houses (no one disputed my ruling that peasant huts aren't more than difficult terrain for a Huge Behemoth) and one of the players reminded me that the huts between his PC and the Behemoth, which on the drawing are an obstacle, don't block line of sight to the Huge monster or its rider.

Maybe all this is in part because we use mostly abstract tokens (coloured pieces from old boardgames) rather than miniatures, and because my handdrawn maps aren't very good! So the physical reality of the props is very obviously not the situation with which the PCs are engaged.

In the end, I can only report that for me, at least (and those of my players who have commented on it) it is a phenomenological thing - because the mechanics make it salient, the fictional geography seems more vibrant in 4e than in other games we've played. On the other hand, the physiology and facing of PCs and NPCs is less salient because the mechanics ignore it. For me, this is the lesson from the prone snake - prone is a condition that is on the cusp of incoherence in a game that doesn't care about facing or body shape (contrast RM or RQ, for example). But I don't feel the force of the generalisation from applying prone to a snake or ooze in an abstract fashion, to a general problem with fictional positioning.

In my experience this leads to players focusing on their character sheets and the powers they have available instead of focusing on the game world and what their characters (and foes!) are actually doing

<snip>

the game system doesn't require attention to the fictional details
Yes and no. I don't think my players look to their sheets in 4e any more than in other games, but I do agree that their sheets are their first port of call. But at least in my experience I tend to find it is looking to their sheets to find resources to tackle the current fictional situation - so, for example, equipment (and not just magic items, but - for example - jars of wrestling oil that might be used to make the ground slippery and thereby enhance a force movement power) is one of the things they look at. I regard this as expressing a more general preference for deploying known resources than doing the additional cognitive work of building up a robust mental picture of the minutiae of the external environment (and probably also connects to a degree of actor or author stance by habit, rather than blurring into director stance). When the fiction of the external environment becomes as salient to the players as the fiction on their character sheets - for example, walls or furniture or pits or fires that they are dealing with in the course of their own round-by-round decision-making - then I find they will tend to engage with it more.

It's not that the system can't handle it; there's no reason you can't make a Cha-attack action that causes Psychic damage by intimidating an opponent or calling for their surrender. (The game's economy is simple: Standard Action, Cha vs. Will, +2 if trained in Intimidate, Hit: medium normal damage expression of your level psychic damage; if the target drops to 0 HP he surrenders.)
Something like this is written into an encounter in a recent module (I think the frost-caverns one from the Monster Vault). My players occasionally do stuff with Intimidate (and Religion against Undead) but mostly for effects rather than damage.

characters and situations are complex enough that it's difficult for players to keep both their powers/abilities and the fictional positions in their mind at the same time.
My experiences were generally that, even though I (as DM) allowed such actions, and when PCs attempted these actions the players noted that they were even better than their PC's at-will actions, I rarely saw this sort of thing happen.

<snip>

My experience has led me to believe that, unless the players are really focused on the fictional situation, the game's complexity makes it hard to deal with all the choices you've got on your character sheet as well as the ones the fictional situation presents.
I agree with this to an extent, but I'm not sure it's a flaw. It depends, in part, on what parts of the fiction one has in mind.

As I said, I agree that the character sheet is always the first go-to for my players when it comes to looking for resources to deploy. I think this is a natural consequence of a game that makes PC-build such a mechanically significant part of the game - players look to the resources that they have built into their PCs. But I don't think that this makes the fiction irrelevant, or even less relevant. Compare, for example, the player in my game playing the dwarven polearm fighter/warpriest of Moradin, to the typical player of a dwarven cleric/fighter going through White Plume Mountain. When it is time to proceed through the frictionless corridor, or to jump across the spikes of super-tetanus (? am I remembering properly) my player is probably more likely to look at his sheet first, than at taking doors of hinges and using them as surfboards. (In this respect, it is probably true that all 4e PCs are more like wizards in the old game, who always had their most reliable resources on their character sheets.)

But the upside of this is that the typical action the PC takes is, in at least some respects, more expressive of the character that the player has built, and hence reinforces other elements of fictional positioning that player and GM can jointly build on as part of the game. When this PC uses his polearm to do something tricky in a situation, it reinforces one element of the fictional position in a way that doing clever stuff with the hanging vines is less likely to. So I'm not too fussed about how much attention the system makes my players pay to the vines per se.

What I would like, though, is for the ranger with Acrobatics to pay more attention to the vines than he currently does! But I'm not sure if that's a system thing or a player thing - that is, I'm not able to judge whether my players who pay more attention to the fiction and use it to express things about their PCs are overcoming a system flaw, or are simply playing the game properly while the ranger player slacks off a bit (he is certainly the player least likely to be at the table at any given moment).

This is going to be a controversial statement. I don't want people to think I'm just bashing 4E or edition warring; it's made in good faith in an attempt to understand how 4E works.
In your posts at least I take this to go without saying!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads