• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Fiery Dragon] BattleBox 4e Preview!

jephlewis

First Post
Ouch. That's a lot. This looks pretty useful and I'm sure the cost of producing all of that stuff is high, but that's a good chunk to lay out for this. Although, I've spent $30 a lot on books that I look at twice and throw on the shelf. This would get heavy usage every week, so maybe it's a good investment.
I'll agree with you; forty bucks IS a lot of money to me as well, BUT i'll be getting a great value for my money AND a whole bunch of stuff i've wanted in one box that wotc apparently won't make. YMMV.

Now, as for whether or not it's a good investment for you, let me ask you a few questions:
1. do you already have enough minis to represent the core classes for 4E?
2. do you already have some kind of battlemat, and are you satisfied with it?
3. are you satisfied with whatever you use for tracking action points, conditions, and stuff like that?
4. do you already have enough dungeon tiles [or something like them] to represent the basic stuff, like stairs, pits, rubble, and scenery stuff like chests, barrels, and crates?
5. do you already have something to represent areas of spell effects?

The dry erase player and DM combat sheets, character sheets, and power card sheets are just icing on the cake for me.

To me, this is a GREAT product to go hand in hand with the wotc 4E starter and/or with the 4E core books.

I've been looking for something like this; a BIG BOX of fiddly bits. I got into 3.x late, like 2006, so I missed out on the 3.x battlebox. I'm not missing out on this one.

Klaus, is there any way that you guys would ever do 'stand up' counters? Like, instead of the people counters being square and mostly showing just the 'top half', they could be rectangular [two squares 'tall', one square wide, one piece] that shows 'the whole person' and could fit into a stand up base?

I understand that it would probably be impractical for large creatures, but what about the pc races and most humanoid size monsters, like orcs, goblins, and zombies? Or even just the PC's?

Klaus

First Post
I'll agree with you; forty bucks IS a lot of money to me as well, BUT i'll be getting a great value for my money AND a whole bunch of stuff i've wanted in one box that wotc apparently won't make. YMMV.

Now, as for whether or not it's a good investment for you, let me ask you a few questions:
1. do you already have enough minis to represent the core classes for 4E?
2. do you already have some kind of battlemat, and are you satisfied with it?
3. are you satisfied with whatever you use for tracking action points, conditions, and stuff like that?
4. do you already have enough dungeon tiles [or something like them] to represent the basic stuff, like stairs, pits, rubble, and scenery stuff like chests, barrels, and crates?
5. do you already have something to represent areas of spell effects?

The dry erase player and DM combat sheets, character sheets, and power card sheets are just icing on the cake for me.

To me, this is a GREAT product to go hand in hand with the wotc 4E starter and/or with the 4E core books.

I've been looking for something like this; a BIG BOX of fiddly bits. I got into 3.x late, like 2006, so I missed out on the 3.x battlebox. I'm not missing out on this one.

Klaus, is there any way that you guys would ever do 'stand up' counters? Like, instead of the people counters being square and mostly showing just the 'top half', they could be rectangular [two squares 'tall', one square wide, one piece] that shows 'the whole person' and could fit into a stand up base?

I understand that it would probably be impractical for large creatures, but what about the pc races and most humanoid size monsters, like orcs, goblins, and zombies? Or even just the PC's?
We keep looking into it, and we want to try it, but we have pressing products that need to get out before trying something like that.

But's something we've considered for quite a while.

Rechan

Adventurer
Does this have PC counters, or are all the counters in the Battlebox monsters?

(Alas, I am too cheap to pick up both the Heroic tokens and the Battlebox).

Klaus

First Post
Does this have PC counters, or are all the counters in the Battlebox monsters?

(Alas, I am too cheap to pick up both the Heroic tokens and the Battlebox).
The BattleBox has only PC counters. For creatures you can get Counter Collection 4th Edition: Heroic 1, Epic 1 and (soon) Paragon 1.

thundershot

Adventurer
Wow. This is definitely awesome I'll have to add it to my list of things I want...

Well, at least it's not "slaad" becoming "salad" in the 3e Tome of Horrors... :D

That's not as funny as my wife and I going to K-Mart a few years back, and she wanted some ham salad, and we found it, and the bin tag said "Ham Slaad". :D

I never did try to get someone to stat me up a Ham Slaad. :D

Chris

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads