• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiery Dragon & other Creature Counters- how to store them?

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I'm sure this has been brought up and solved before, but I have to know if anyone's got a good solution.

I have both COUNTER COLLECTIONS, and I really just want to pop them all out and use them all the time. However, once they come out, they're so hard to keep organized. Does anyone have a solution? I want something small, lightweight-ish, that can keep the creatures (or at least different kinds of creatures) separated and stored safely.

The best I can think up is using little ziploc bags to separate the creatures alphabetically. Aboleth through Azer in one bag... and so on. There's got to be a better way. Anyone?

Fayredeth

First Post
It's not very small, but you could try a plastic box/container/thingie that has the dividers, so you end up with small compartments. That way everything is together and light. Sorting with all the A's together, etc., would be the way to go.

Crothian

First Post
I use the baggies solution myself. Easy and cheap. Others have suggested using a tackle box or other storage device. I can only see using something like that if I had a really large number of counters.

Voadam

Legend
I've got dragonscale counter ones and I use small zip locks with about 20 in each one and a little label on them like devils, another is demons, another is undead, another is npcs, etc.

I would go by monster type before alphabetical.

Last edited:

danzig138

Explorer
I would go with a tackle box/nuts&bolts storage box myself. I'm looking to get one for my RL counters and tanks, since my sewing box broke. If the markers are too large, and you don't have a lot of them, you might try one of those plastic sewing kit boxes. They have several compartments, and they are smaller than tackle boxes and such. Either way, you might still want to keep them in small baggies also. One of my players knocked over my container of RL counters, and the hinge broke, and the pieces went everywhere, so now I keep them in little sandwich bags also.

mtbdm

First Post
Storage

The best storage options I have found for counters are plastic boxes with dividers (intended for sewing kits) that come in a variety of sizes. There are also flat plastic tackleboxes with removable dividers (so you can adjust compartment size). Either works quite well.
MtbDM

Storminator

First Post
I use an embroidery thread binder. It's a small binder (maybe 3x5) with ziplock bags for "pages." Got it at WalMart for about $3. Easy to carry, easy to sort, cheap...what more do you want? :)

PS

Bill Muench

First Post
Personally, I highly recommend a product by Chessex. They're lightweight lexan trays, about the size of a D&D book, that have fold over lids and stack securely.

They have room for about 40 5'x5' counters or 20 10'x5' counters in each little "dimple", with 16 "dimples" per tray, IIRC. Since I have gobs of counters (last count was about 2000-3000), I've got a tray for undead, outsiders, humans, good humanoids, bad humanoids, etc. Very handy.

They've very durable, lightweight, and easy to carry. Unfortunately, I can't find them on the Chessex website, but they were selling them at GenCon. I also showed them to Fiery James and the rest of the crew and they all thought they were pretty cool.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I use what people in thread call sewing kits (white transluscent plastic tray/box, 1 inch deep, divided into various compartments) that we used as body jewelry boxes.

For the counters I've pulled out for the current game / module, I put them in an old Magic:the Gathering card box between sessions.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
I use the ziploc baggies, but sorted by creature type instead of alphabetically. Outsiders in one bad, goblinoids in one bag, NPCs in one bag, animals in one bag, etc.

J

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads