D&D 5E Fifth Edition.....Why?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I was in your boat for a while. I played AD&D 1st Ed through grad school...into the late 90s/early 2000s. We dabbled with 3e. Totally skipped 3.5. Skipped 4e after buying it up; play what you like! You are not compelled to play all editions. At all.

I just lucked out in really liking 5e...but if they pump out a 6e at some future date And I don't think it is superior to 5e...I am gonna skip 6e and keep playing 5e!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
When I started gaming it wasn't on AD&D, it was West End Games Star Wars, TSR Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Shadowrun 3rd Edition, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Vampire the Masquerade. It wouldn't be until about 4 years into my gaming tenure when my grandmother would purchase the blue and red box of original DnD for me complete with the crayon to mark the dice with. Having begun my RP experience with systems that offered generous character options and variability. I disliked the limitation of AD&D where humans only actual benefit was they could progress through a class for a bit, then could restart progression in another class, and there was no limit to their progression, however, no group I ever played with followed that proscription, and for every 40th level Human 20 rgr/5 fgtr/ 5 rogue/ 5 mage/ 5 cleric there was a 40/40/40 Elven multiclass that shouldn't have ever been allowed. I didn't get into DnD until 3rd Edition where some of Ed Greenwood's characters in his novels finally made sense statistically. And I adored 3rd edition, it allowed me to create the fantasy character I wanted to play in an easy to delineate manner. Then came fourth edition which eliminated everything great about 3rd Edition but tried to turn the system into a tabletop World of Warcraft, a system I promptly demonstrated the idiocy of its lack of thought with by building a fey aspected warlock with a cape of the mountebank which let me basically deal damage and teleport, the damage and teleport, and when the GM tried to be clever and isolate me then I used the cape to teleport me back behind the line the party had formed, the whole system was stupid, not to mention the abject horror they turned the Forgotten Realms into.
Then I bought the 5th Edition players handbook, It seemed to actually streamline the 4th Edition and make it less a tabletop MMO while bringing back the simplicity of the old school blue and red boxes. However what drove me to ignore the rule set was that fundamental lack of variability that 3rd Edition actually offered. It seems like I'm pretty much stuck in the class I began the game in and I can either choose a mediocre stat bonus where I used to be able to alter the standard progression path by taking a feat, and the stat bonus would come later which demonstrated a focus in a differing area of my character's priority.
So, why should I play 5th Edition? It eliminated the wonderful options a player could take his character and even it's weak multiclassing can't portray the most famous characters of our favorite DnD novel characters. I mean, stat out Elminster the way he should be in 5th Ed, or even Mirt the Merciless.
Truly. an exemplar of the classic forum post "Why, oh why, don't all you simpletons share my game preferences?!" Editions may change, but forum posts stay the same.

Schmoe

Adventurer
5e looks pretty good, but I've stuck with 3.5e so far because I'm more comfortable with it. It sounds like you should do the same!

G

Guest 6801328

It eliminated the wonderful options a player could take his character and even it's weak multiclassing can't portray the most famous characters of our favorite DnD novel characters. I mean, stat out Elminster the way he should be in 5th Ed, or even Mirt the Merciless.

I'm not sure I can think of factor I care less about than whether or not my RPGs can accurately model one-dimensional characters from 3rd rate fantasy. Even historical realism/accuracy doesn't rate this low on the "Things That Matter in RPGs" scale.

jasper

Rotten DM
So, why should I play 5th Edition?....
Because boss Morrus, boss Meepo, boss Gynax, and boss hogg advises you too. Or you will be busted for white lightning in your trunk.
And was me. I could swear AD&D topped at level 20. I think the xp 2,250,000+ was printed.
PS. You will eat Boss Morrus' biscuits even when they ain't real biscuits.

G

Guest 6801328

And was me. I could swear AD&D topped at level 20. I think the xp 2,250,000+ was printed.

Yeah, well, a bunch of his details seem strange. Shadowrun 3e was around 2005, for example. And he went from there to basic set to AD&D to 3rd? Heck 3.5 was out before he even started gaming, apparently.

I still play 3rd edition, and there's nothing wrong with that. If the number crunching and multiclassing of 3rd edition is what you enjoy, then by all means stick with 3rd edition. Plenty of other people do.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
5e looks pretty good, but I've stuck with 3.5e so far because I'm more comfortable with it. It sounds like you should do the same!

I have to say I agree with you wholeheartedly even though I was not a fan of nor played 3.5!

The cult of the new is hard to resist at times. I get it. I also know I had the most fun gaming with an out of date system for many years.

I am hoping 5e provides the same thing for me. If it does, there may be people playing 7e while I am on the sidelines.

The OP should feel empowered to play what he/she likes! I bought up 4e and we played a couple of sessions, total. It was not for us, but I will wager some people still tell great stories about the fun adventures they had with 4e. Hell, there are people STILL making fun adventures with the out of date edition of their choice!

Call me nuts, but I would play 1e again someday. I am too hot on 5e to totally say that with a straight face for a while though...

The cult of the new is hard to resist at times. I get it. I also know I had the most fun gaming with an out of date system for many years.

After playing 2nd edition for years, it was really hard for our DM to convince us that 3rd edition was a lot better. But once we started playing, we never looked back.

When 4th edition came along, it received the same treatment, only this time we were all a bit unimpressed. Plus it felt like a step backward to simply toss our vast collections of 3rd edition books aside for an edition that was only just out at that point.

My current group has given 5th edition a fair look (or at least some of my players have), and we all seem to agree that it is a pretty solid system. It is really well designed, easier to understand than previous editions, and way more accessible to new players. But we also find it a bit lacking when it comes to depth, number tweaking, and fiddling with character stats. That's just a personal taste, and really not a fault of 5th edition. It is the inevitable downside to being more accessible.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
After playing 2nd edition for years, it was really hard for our DM to convince us that 3rd edition was a lot better. But once we started playing, we never looked back.

When 4th edition came along, it received the same treatment, only this time we were all a bit unimpressed. Plus it felt like a step backward to simply toss our vast collections of 3rd edition books aside for an edition that was only just out at that point.

My current group has given 5th edition a fair look (or at least some of my players have), and we all seem to agree that it is a pretty solid system. It is really well designed, easier to understand than previous editions, and way more accessible to new players. But we also find it a bit lacking when it comes to depth, number tweaking, and fiddling with character stats. That's just a personal taste, and really not a fault of 5th edition. It is the inevitable downside to being more accessible.

There you go. And honestly, we like some things like feats and multiclassing but number tweaking was low on our list of priorities. Taste in games is not "wrong." The downside of older editions is sometimes feeling like an isolated enclave...but we are brave our characters. Few stood against many!

Well until a couple of years ago. We are freely rampaging with the wild horde...but for how long? We shall see...

Remove ads