• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter/Mage/Boba Fett, advice welcome

Mort

Legend
Supporter
IcyCool said:
Well, unless you get an ability that lets you do this, or spell-storing weapons, you're out of luck on this count.

On that note, why not ditch the fighter/mage and go duskblade - it fits the concept perfectly - lets you channel spells without need of spell storing.

quaidbrown

First Post
Spell Storing maces is what I'm looking at. I can deliver a spell with them, and then reload them later. If I have 6-8 maces on a belt, with quickdraw feat I can swap them out easily.

I chose light mace because rods are light maces (right?), and I could make some nasty rods later on that exceed a spell storing mace.

quaidbrown

First Post
Which book is duskblade from? I believe they have a very limited spell selection, right? I'm not necessarily looking for overwhelming damage-dealing action. I would rather be able to disable opponents through spells like blindness and contagion and move to someone else, letting the tanks finish them off.

With dual wand wield, I could cast 2 spells per round from a wand, which would be some serious damage (or hold person and dimension door, then swap wands and blast.)

I also want the versatility of a wizard's spell list, and am willing to sacrifice damage for this.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
quaidbrown said:
Which book is duskblade from? I believe they have a very limited spell selection, right? I'm not necessarily looking for overwhelming damage-dealing action. I would rather be able to disable opponents through spells like blindness and contagion and move to someone else, letting the tanks finish them off.

With dual wand wield, I could cast 2 spells per round from a wand, which would be some serious damage (or hold person and dimension door, then swap wands and blast.)

I also want the versatility of a wizard's spell list, and am willing to sacrifice damage for this.

duskblade is from PHB II.
Yes the have a fairly limited spell selection (which I can't get to right now; at work). That said, the only other way to channel spells, other then spell storing weapons, is with the spellsword 4th level+ ability and you won't qualify for many levels.

Also keep in mind only some rods are maces, most are just scepters and not suitable for melee. Further, I just looked up some prices on the SRD and rods are fairly expensive. It's unrealistic to expect to have more than 1 or 2 and still have a broad amount of other equipment (armor, scrolls, other magic etc.)

IcyCool

First Post
quaidbrown said:
Spell Storing maces is what I'm looking at. I can deliver a spell with them, and then reload them later. If I have 6-8 maces on a belt, with quickdraw feat I can swap them out easily.

I chose light mace because rods are light maces (right?), and I could make some nasty rods later on that exceed a spell storing mace.

6-8 Spell Storing maces is going to be silly expensive.

No, rods are not necessarily light maces (some act as such).

Malum

First Post
I don't know of the BobaFet connection other than both trying to be a BH, are you talking looks? Personality? Because the build aint fitten that description. I can say from experience (others here on this site should concur) with bounty hunter builds your skills play arguably the biggest role and your build is quite frankly handicapped for this profession; having the lowest skill pts available and for this profession possibly the worst skill selection necessary to capture a criminal. Escaped criminals will be hiding, on the run & more than likely be at least partly Rogue and have class skills that far exceed your builds skill capability. I would say that concentrating on fighting styles and spells is a normal pc but for a BH? Unless your part of a team and you fill the "stand back and blast em’ role".

quaidbrown

First Post
I say Boba Fett because he used all kinds of nifty gadgets to compete with Jedi.

Seeing Bobafett use ziplines, rocket packs, blasters, and wrist blades to complement his abilities is fun to watch. I'd like to do the same with maces, rods and wands.

quaidbrown

First Post
Yes, but if I'm making them myself, it is cheaper... a +1 spell storing mace is only 4k I think (spell storing is +1 equivalent), I think this halves if I make it myself?

In the long run, I'll still have a lot of spells to cast (I'm only giving up 2-3 caster levels), and these maces and wands will be fun to play with.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
quaidbrown said:
I say Boba Fett because he used all kinds of nifty gadgets to compete with Jedi.

Seeing Bobafett use ziplines, rocket packs, blasters, and wrist blades to complement his abilities is fun to watch. I'd like to do the same with maces, rods and wands.

Maybe an artificer for the Ebberon source book? I think they have more skill points (though not in the BH specialties) and have an xp pool to build all those "cool gadgets."

quaidbrown

First Post
Yes, the monetary cost is seeming to be the biggest hindrance here. I plan on making these items myself, so the cost is halved, but of course that also costs experience. The rods can come later when I have more income. I'll just play as a typical wizard (which I'll still be pretty dern good at) and pull out the wands and maces during emergencies/when I want to look cool.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads