Level Up (A5E) Fighter stacking Combat Maneuver swap + Maneuver Specialization?

steels12

Explorer
Hey all, quick question: unsure if anyone's had a read on this, but I'm curious how you'd all rule a synergy between two traits of the fighter class:

Combat Maneuvers
"At 1st level, you gain the ability to use combat maneuvers. You gain proficiency in two combat traditions of your choice. You learn three maneuvers of your choice from traditions you are proficient with. You gain an exertion pool equal to twice your proficiency bonus, regaining any spent exertion at the end of a short or long rest. You use your maneuvers by spending points from your exertion pool. The Maneuvers Known column of the Fighter table shows when you learn more maneuvers from a tradition you are proficient with, while the Maneuver Degree column shows the highest degree you can select maneuvers from at a given level. Additionally, whenever you learn a new maneuver, you can choose one of the maneuvers you know and replace it with another maneuver of the same degree from a tradition you are proficient with."

Maneuver Specialization
"As you experience combat and perfect your techniques they get easier for you to perform and more difficult for your foes to overcome. At 3rd level, and again at 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th level you may choose to master a combat maneuver you know. You cannot master the same maneuver more than once in this way. The exertion point cost of mastered maneuvers is reduced by 1 (minimum 1). Your maneuver DC for mastered maneuvers increases by 1. Any attack you make as part of a mastered maneuver (including triggering attacks) deals 2 additional damage."
My question is, effectively, if one were to want to swap a known maneuver that they had mastery over, would that mastery carry over to the new maneuver, or would you just lose that level's mastery permanently because of the swap?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I would require both be swapped. There is a section in the downtime activity rules for to "relearn" class abilities. The only real time is a number of weeks based on the level that you get the ability you are swapping

Stalker0

Legend
"By the book" there is no method to swap your maneuver specialization when you level. The only way to do it is as Tetrasodium mentioned, using the "relearn" class feature.

As a house rule, I think its a very reasonable one. I feel like O5e allows a lot of flexibility in shifting your character as you level, and LU is a bit too rigid in that respect, so I would be fine if the fighter swapped their maneuver specialization when they level, assuming they also swapped out the specialized maneuver.

Remove ads