• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter Substitution Idea

Tetsubo

First Post
I am thinking about a lightly armoured Fighter build that uses two handaxes as his primary weapons. I don't want to go Ranger because of all the class features that I don't want and the extra Fighter feats. So I was thinking of swapping out Medium and Heavy Armour and Shield use for the Barbarians fast (+10) movement ability and adding Tumble to the Fighter class skill list. Does that sound balanced?

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
It may actually be slightly underpower . . . It depends on how potent you see tumble, and what kind of magical protections are made available. I'd be tempted to throw in one of the following as a bonus feats, dodge, combat expertise or toughness.
That doesn't make a really significant difference but I thik it should be balanced. But you never really know untill you play-test it.

Technik4

First Post
I am thinking about a lightly armoured Fighter build that uses two handaxes as his primary weapons. I don't want to go Ranger because of all the class features that I don't want and the extra Fighter feats. So I was thinking of swapping out Medium and Heavy Armour and Shield use for the Barbarians fast (+10) movement ability and adding Tumble to the Fighter class skill list. Does that sound balanced?

No. You are trading features you don't plan on using for a significant boost in power. I would let you change skills and get Tumble on your class list, but Barbarians get fast movement, not dual-wielding fighters.

Felnar

First Post
look up the non-casting ranger variant from Arcane Unearthed (and its other variants)
or maybe take barbarian, drop rage, gain ranger twf progression?
would either of those fit your character concept

also look at Arcana Evolved's Unfettered class if possible

maggot

First Post
Tetsubo said:

The UA Thug variant swaps out Medium&Heavy armor and your first level fighter bonus feat for 4 skill points per level and some new class skills (knowledge local, bluff, gather information and sleight of hand). It is a very good class if you aren't going to wear only light armor because long term the extra feat isn't all that to the feat-rich fighter, but the extra skill points and class skills are very cool for a the skill-starved and class-skill-starved fighter.

So I would use the thug as the basis for what you are looking for. Swap out one of the class skills for tumble and maybe another for balance and call it good.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads