• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 figments in combat (3.5)

orion90000

First Post
I mostly play combat, and I'm trying to think of ways to use Ghost Sound and Silent Image in combat.

Can you use Ghost Sound to set up flanking for an ally in combat? In theory, making the sounds of a man in armor grunting right behind the combatant. This may be short lived. But what saves would that entail? any skills (bluff v sense motive?)

Could you use a similar effect with Silent Image, obviously requiring the image to be in the sight of the enemy?

I can so far think of creating illusionary walls for cover. Any other ideas?

udalrich

First Post
I wouldn't allow Ghost Sound to create a flanking bonus. Guidance (also a 0 level spell) only grants +1 on one roll, where as flanking grants +2 and possible several d6 (if the flanker is a rogue). Guidance does have versatility, in that you can use it for any roll within a minute, but I wouldn't think that is worth the extra +1 (and potential extra damage).

Ghost sound might be useful just before combat, to try to get someone to move to a less favorable position to investigate the noise. During combat with limited or poor visibility, you might also use it to create the sound of approaching allies, hoping to get an enemy to investigate.

Silent image might be able to imitate a summoning spell, especially if the enemies do not have spell craft. (Monster appears. Wizard shouts "he just cast an illusion". Everyone ignores the "monster".) If the target fails a Will save, I'd grant the flanking bonus from this. Summon Monster I would also allow a flanking bonus, no save and might actually do real damage as well. It also would not require concentration to maintain.

Walls to grant concealment or make someone think they need to move around it can also be effective. If you know the enemy is coming, using it to cover a pit (or something similar) can be effective.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
If your DM is willing to cooperate with you, and if I was your DM I'd permit this, having the opponent roll will save to disbelieve and visual or auditory illusion and consider that as something to interact with in combat.

Imagine being a castle, having just been jumped by 3 assassins and fighting ensues between my party and the would-be killers. If I used Ghost sound to simulate the sound of solders footsteps, armor clanking and orders being given, coming just down the hall around the corner out of my sight, I'd expect an opponent that considered strategy and personal safety to possibly use a round to move away from the hallway, possibly move to a more strategic position to anticipate the incoming enemies, or maybe even flee.

If I was in the woods and we were being attacked by a pack of wolves, the sudden appearance of the Silent Image of a grizzly bear should cause the wolves to back of and regroup around the new threat for at least a round or two before they realize they cannot smell or see the new threat, and then maybe in round 3 I'd allow a will save since such creatures would instinctively back off out of self preservation before they considered the reality of the threat.

Anytime your opponent might think you're capable of casting Summon Monster spells, you can toss up an illusionary creature instead. That should buy you a round or three.

Case in point, the Celestial Tree Sloth Attack and Vaarsuvius Education On Illusionary Summons.

Last edited:

Gantros

Explorer
Here are some more ideas for Silent Image:

• Baiting an ambush or trap
  • Creating an illusion of a wall, bush, etc. slightly displaced from its true position, so allies can hide or move stealthily behind it
  • Creating a diversion (e.g. a pile of treasure to distract greedy creatures, a powerful-looking unattended magic item, or a helpless child in danger to distract good-aligned opponents)
  • Controlling the battlefield by creating false barriers and covering up doors, passageways, or pits
  • Duplicating the effect of an Obscuring Mist (only better because it can be moved, allies can be allowed to ignore it if the caster informs them that it is an illusion, and because it’s mist, most interactions with it would not trigger a check to disbelieve unless an opponent physically entered the area)
  • Creating one or more ghostly copies of the caster or an ally (would not necessarily trigger a Save if hit because it appears incorporeal)
  • Creating an illusion of a large rock or similar object to hide inside of
  • Creating a false bridge, or extending a ledge over a chasm, then luring opponents on to it

Empirate

First Post
I'd be very leery about the simpler figment spells, like Silent Image. It creates a purely optical illusion, and thus, if you use it to create something that normally produces sound, heat, smell etc., I'd grant a hefty save bonus at the very least. Consider the primary senses of your opponents in this.

Against creatures relying on sight a lot (like humans, or maybe eagles), Silent Image is probably quite useful. Against a pack of wolves? I don't think so. You'd need a Major Image in my game: wolves rely on hearing AND smell to a very great deal, probably more than we humans can even imagine. So forget purely optical illusions. A wolf might be startled by it, but when its blood is up and real prey with real bleeding wounds are already present, it would likely ignore the image completely. The same is true for most big predators.

Another thing to consider is what you use your spell to imitate. Your best bets might be other spell effects, especially against seasoned veterans without much formal spellcraft training. Your image may easily look like a summoning spell to them, or whatever else. Best yet: mix in real summonses with illusions...
The aforementioned Obscuring Mist or stone wall is another favorite, since it works in its obscuring function as long as the other side doesn't make its save, and your group can train this tactic beforehand. Like Tiny Hut, but cheaper in spell slots.

All in all, I'd say Silent Image is given too much credit on CO boards: yes, it's flexible, maybe the most flexible spell in 1st level. But it also requires concentration, it's small and anchored in place, and the limitation in affected senses really puts a dent in its usefulness in a lot of circumstances. At the latest after 7th level or so, the spell really peters out, while Major Image remains useful for a looong while after. As do some other 1st level spells, btw, like Identify, Mage Armor, Protection from Evil, Unseen Servant, True Strike, Enlarge Person, even Magic Missile. Silent Image is a very good spell, but lacks some important functions that only higher-level spells can supply.

Remove ads