• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final Fantasy J

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Frida lets out a small shriek or fear as the flames erupt from the front of the oven monster, but is relieved to see Kyo unharmed by its belch of flame. Her eyes watering from the high tempeature, she looks to Mikken an sees that he's been singed.

Seeking to protect her friend, she invokes a prayer "O light of heaven, I invoke the shield of Amity to bind our fate!" Briefly, a shimmering shield forms in front of Mikken, then fades away.

She then looks around to see if the other customers are safely away, and holds her staff in front of her defensively in case the creature slips by.

[sblock=Jemal, Mikken] Shield Other on Mikken. Frida'll be taking half of any damage dealt to Mikken.

*Kicks self as Frida didn't prepare resist energy as well*[/sblock]

Arkhandus

First Post
Sweat condensing on his skin and dampening his clothes a bit, Mikken grits his teeth and waits for Kyo to knock the beastly oven closer.

Calling over to Kyo, he says "Coz! I might be able to blast this thing but I can't try it if you're in the path of my spell!"

Then Mikken brandishes his katana in both hands, keeping his shorter blade sheathed as he strikes twice in a spinning maneuver he's seen Kyo use many years ago, not nearly as flashy and powerful as the technique Kyo just used.

[sblock=ooc]In other words, Mikken flanks with Kyo and uses a normal, two-handed full attack with the katana.

Mikken's two katana strokes, flanking and wielding the blade two-handed (1d20+11+2=20, 1d10+5=7, 1d20+6+2=15, 1d10+5=14)

So attack rolls of 20 and 15, 7 damage if the first strike hits, and a separate 14 damage if the second strike hits.

Oh, also: Mikken's AC is currently 23 against the oven, from Frida's Shield Other and his own Dodge feat. And he has +1 on saving throws from the Shield Other.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
[sblock=initiative order]
Kyo
Mikken
Frida
MonsterOven
[/sblock]

Kyo Pokes harshly at the oven a few more times, leaving a pair of well-sized dents (31 after hardness). Mikken, meanwhile, uses his cousin's distraction to land a blow of his own, though it barely scrates the tough surface (2 damage).

Frida chants a few magical words and shares her spirit with Mikken as the Oven's heat flares up again (9 fire damage Kyo, 5 Frida, 4 Mikken.) as it lets out a strange mechanical roar. It's door flies open as it steps forward, smashing into the floor as Kyo nimbly sidesteps the devastating blow.

[sblock=ooc]
Um, can't remember.. Did I say I was forgetting about All the focus/Material components? I think so, but can't remember. The reason I ask is b/c Shield Other has a 50GP platinum ring focus, so even if I didn't, I'll waive it for now.. doesn't seem final fantasy-ish
[/sblock]

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
The girl winces as searing pain travels across the fate link she established with Mikken. She blinks back tears as she begins a new incantation. "O Heaven's light, gird our weapons with thy holy light!"

[sblock=All]
Frida casts Blessing of the Righteous. Our weapon attacks deal +1d6 points of holydamage on a successful strike, and they overcome damage reduction as if they were good-aligned weapons. This effect lasts for 10 rounds. If there are any other allies within 40 feet, they get it too. ;)

Obviously, this won't help until next round.

Jemal: re material components. You mentioned the non-focus with regard to Raises, Resurrections and such, but not otherwise. For some reason I always forget about Shield Others' focus component. I'm really sorry about that. :eek: [/sblock]
She looks again anxiously toward the oven creature as she wipes away sweat and tears from her eyes. Her mind is racing as she tries to figure out what to do next.

Caros

First Post
Kyo's view of the battle was almost absolute, catching each move of the creature, reacting to it almost before the beast itself knew what part it was going to flail. It was such with the massive door, slamming down at where Kyo had been standing only a moment before. Kyo's bokken struck firm after that miss, driving hard into the metal, only to have him, spin a short distance and add another quick flurry of blows, hoping to score more lasting damage to the creature.

A look across the length of the beast showed his cousin swinging, his arms unable to bring much power to bear against the oven, steel skipping off steel, scratching but ultimately doing little to inhibit it, his cousin's own words spurring him into action.

Waiting for the creature's next swing, Kyo hopped, striking down with both hands on the bokken, driving the wood into the creature's metal top. Midair he shifted his weight, planting a hand on the reverse edge of his weapon and tumbling along it, keeping away from the creature's hot surface and ultimately dropping to the ground just next to Mikken. "If you've got the spell, cast it now cousin!"

[sblock=stats]Alright, simple repitition for the time being.

Kyo makes two tumble checks, one after his first attack, then one after the second as he moves away. Technically he's walking around the creature's to stand by Mikken, just thought the flavor of him jumping over it sounded cooler ^_^;

That said, I hope you're not putting penalties on skill rolls for a 1. (Technically there aren't any) Rolls are seen here! 26,16

His two attacks are again at +18/+13 and hit AC 29,31

Lastly, since I think I'm rolling damage... 21,19 [/sblock]

Arkhandus

First Post
Once Kyo maneuvers over to Mikken's side, Mikken flips back a few feet to put some distance between him and the oven, then stares intently at the monstrous oven and shouts out a few words of eldritch power. As he shouts out the last, loudest syllable, a thunderous wave ripples through the air towards the deadly oven, battering everything in front of the young mage.

[sblock=ooc]Mikken takes a 5-foot-step back and casts Shout, dealing 5d6 sonic damage to the oven. The monster oven can attempt a Fortitude save (DC 19) for half damage.

Technically the spell only affects creatures and crystalline objects, so the inn's walls and furniture shouldn't be destroyed, but any glass objects in the Shout's path will shatter.

Rolled damage for Shout was 11, sigh. Cruddy rolls for Mikken so far.
Sonic damage from the Shout spell (5d6=11)[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
[sblock=initiative order]
Kyo
Mikken
Frida
MonsterOven
[/sblock]

Kyo flips over the Flaming Metal Monstrosity, Smashing a large dent in it's top (16 damage) before landing by Mikken, who wastes no time in Releasing a blast of Sound at the beast. It shudders as the waves of sonic force roll over it, shatterig the glass placed in it's front door as it turns to face them (11 damage), and travelling on to shatter all the glasses on the (singed) table behind it.

Frida, meanwhile, calls upon her holy powers to bless their weapons with holy might against the Monster.

Seemingly enraged at this new outcome, the Oven flings opens it's door and unleashes a blast of flame in the direction of Kyo and Mikken, who only then realize they've put themselves close together enough for such a thing to suceed. (39 fire damage, reflex dc 22 for half, and Frida takes half (round up) of whatever Mikken would take. Ouch, almost max, sorry guys.)

[sblock=ooc]
BTW, normally I DO make nat 1's and 20's mean something special, regardless of the roll, but for this ONE I'll make an exception, b/c that was just cool. Instead, I'm going to negate your secondary attack and replace the tumble check with that attack role.

And yes, I do sometimes play a little loose with the rules in order for a cooler looking fight, but don't worry guys cuz usually it plays out to your advantage.

Also, could you include AC and current/max HP somewhere in your posts during combats, please? thnx.
[/sblock]

Caros

First Post
Kyo seems to just ignore the flame as it washes over him, twisting so that he avoids the brunt of the attack, he glances back at a shout from Frida, finding her skin growing red in places, as though she had taken at least some of that attack.

He shouted then, a powerful kiai as he drove into the creature with his blade, the emerald of his eyes seeming to flash with rage. Still, he was not lost in that anger, twisting away from a brief attack from the creature he whirled out of line of mikken, making it have to chose its attacks, hoping that his constant damage seemed more a threat to the beast than Mikken's slashes or Frida's spells.

[sblock=stats]Alright, its that time again. Round 4!

I make the save. And how. 26

Kyo then takes an attack from where he is standing, takes a step back (1 tumble) and moves around the creature, getting to the side closest the door (ie away from frida an mikken), then takes his second attack. Tumble roll is... 25

Kyo's attacks are hitting at +18/+13. And they hit at 20,30 Which should be hits.

Damage for them is...24,23 [/sblock]

Arkhandus

First Post
Wincing at the blast of heat, singeing his body and causing similar harm to Frida through her spell, Mikken tries to shake off the pain and focus on another spell. While disappointed that his thunder spell did little harm, the youth figures a more consistent spell should be effective.

Motioning a few different handsigns and muttering simpler words of power, Mikken stretches out his hand again and unleashes four bright, blue-white rays of magical energy from his fingertips, which spiral and zag until they lance through the monster-oven like needles through cloth!

Once the rays of eldritch force have faded, seconds after they had sprung forth, Mikken clutches his katana's grip in both hands and carefully steps a bit closer once more. "Sorry Frida!" he exclaims, belatedly realizing Frida must've been singed too.... Mikken winces again.

[sblock=ooc]Mikken narrowly fails his save with a total of 21, so he and Frida each take 20 damage it seems.
Reflex save against oven, with Shield Other's +1 deflection bonus (1d20+8+1=21)

Mikken's current status afterward is HP 46/75, AC 23 vs. oven, Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +6.

On his turn, Mikken casts Magic Missile at the monster-oven for 16 damage, then steps closer while resuming a two-handed grip on his katana, preparing to try another melee assault next round.
Damage from Mikken's Magic Missile barrage against the oven (4d4+4=16)

He doesn't want to risk destroying a wall, or much more, by casting Lightning Bolt or Ice Storm within the confines of the tavern. And unfortunately, he has no energy resistance spells prepared at the moment, nor any more shouts or magic missiles.[/sblock]

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Frida grits her teeth from the pain as the searing fire envelops Mikken. She begins to feel a little faint for just a moment and leans on her staff for support. Biting back a curse, she intones, "Tree of life, restore us!"

The sting begins to fade as Mikken and Frida's wounds begin to heal. She grimaces slightly as Mikken aproaches the over beast again, but pushes the sensation of pain to the back of her mind.

[sblock=ooc]
Spontaneously casting Mass Cure Light Wounds on Mikken and herself. It heals 25 points of damage.

Frida was at 24/49 hp, but is now at full hp (49/49). Her AC is 17. [/sblock]

Remove ads