• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finding a New Group

Squnk

First Post
Once again I turn to enworld to help with my gaming dilemmas. I recently moved and find myself looking for a new group to play with. I have many concerns and reservations about start over with a new group. I played with my old group for about 2 1/2 years and we were a very tight group of friends that worked together and lived close to one another, this has been my first and only gaming group experience.

I am having trouble just trying to find gamers, I have used the gamers seeking gamers feature on enworld but have had no luck. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to finding a new group? And also one of my biggest concerns is my old group never did much role playing; we kept in to a minimum. I am a little afraid playing with a new group those does a lot more role playing might be tough for me.

I'm just looking for any help I can get and I'm very grateful for any advice. So please if you can just share some stories or guidance. Thanks in advance.

I've had some VERY good luck thus far with my gaming groups and meeting new people from the interwebs. I just took a chance on these sites and put together groups. The current group I'm in I've been with 2 of the others for over a year now and had a couple leave for various reasons then I recruited 2 more that have been playing with us for about 6 months now. So you can find good friends and fellow gamers on the sites I list below, just keep an open mind and good luck!

The best places that I've found so far:
Meetup.com - Found most of my fellow gamers on this site!
Penandpapergames.com - Another good place where I've found a couple of gamers for my groups.
Gamers seeking Gamers - which you already tried.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I have always found my fellow gamers at work. Then again, I work in a library; most of my co-workers are imaginative and friendly people...

Your local gaming store, especially if they have game space in the store, can be a great place. Post a sign advertising a "start up game" or a "one-shot" and see what happens. I suggest playing somewhere public the first time or two so you can safely get to know people (a library, perhaps?)

Karak

First Post
I've had some VERY good luck thus far with my gaming groups and meeting new people from the interwebs. I just took a chance on these sites and put together groups. The current group I'm in I've been with 2 of the others for over a year now and had a couple leave for various reasons then I recruited 2 more that have been playing with us for about 6 months now. So you can find good friends and fellow gamers on the sites I list below, just keep an open mind and good luck!

The best places that I've found so far:
Meetup.com - Found most of my fellow gamers on this site!
Penandpapergames.com - Another good place where I've found a couple of gamers for my groups.
Gamers seeking Gamers - which you already tried.

I agree with all these posts.
Especially the Gamers seeking Gamers here. Man I put in a playtest post and was flooded even locally. Really nice connections there.

Quickleaf

Legend
Once again I turn to enworld to help with my gaming dilemmas. I recently moved and find myself looking for a new group to play with. I have many concerns and reservations about start over with a new group. I played with my old group for about 2 1/2 years and we were a very tight group of friends that worked together and lived close to one another, this has been my first and only gaming group experience.

I am having trouble just trying to find gamers, I have used the gamers seeking gamers feature on enworld but have had no luck. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to finding a new group? And also one of my biggest concerns is my old group never did much role playing; we kept in to a minimum. I am a little afraid playing with a new group those does a lot more role playing might be tough for me.

I'm just looking for any help I can get and I'm very grateful for any advice. So please if you can just share some stories or guidance. Thanks in advance.
I've met a great couple thru the Gamers Seeking Gamers resource here on ENWorld, and they've joined our gaming group. :)

I invited some gamers over thru Meetup to play Star Wars - the game hasn't got off the ground because I didn't find critical mass, but they are nice guys. :)

I've played a drop in game at Other Realms, our FLGS in Honolulu, which wasn't that great but the people were nice. :)

Those are the places I would check. Well, your FLGS, not mine. Good luck!

A local game or book shop is a good place to start.

Is there a local university nearby? Even at a small one you may be able to find someone to play with, at least temporarily.

If you're worried about your new group, you could use something like this:
New Player Survey

Ronin Talon

First Post
I've found just talking to people about games, current or prior, I have been inundated with requests to join games. I guess it may be harder on the other side of the table for a DM to get players. I agree with other posts, that advertizing at game stores and online rpg forums should be a good way for a DM to get a new crew to game with. I wish you luck in your quest :)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I found a group once through my local gaming store. Haven't gamed with them for years, but still friends with them all.

Ludus

First Post

I met some gamers through Meetup.com, although nothing developed beyond a few gaming sessions.

I met my current group in a way that I completely would not have guessed. I work for a corporation, and my particular department has about 120 employees or so. One day I had a department meeting, and I happened to sit at a table with a fellow employee...

...who was wearing a Gen Con VIP lanyard for his employee badge. I asked him about it, we struck up a conversation, and he invited me to a game. Four years later, I'm still part of what turned out to be a great group.

I got lucky, but what happened in my case does illustrate that meeting gamers can happen in unexpected places. Here's hoping that you too will experience the unexpected.

Remove ads