• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finger Lakes Area as a possible setting?

Sir Elton

First Post
Weather in Upstate New York

I really should add this to my other post. But, oh well.

LightPhoenix said:
Mmm, salt. :)

I think the best thing about the area, as a campaign, is that you really have an opportunity to make weather play a large role in the campaign.

I've rambled a bit, but my point is the area provides a unique option to make weather very important.

During the winter strong storms come up from the south (Nor'easters), and lake effect snow pummels hits the mid-region. Also, Syracuse is one of the snowiest cities in the US, and Oswego (north of Syracuse, on Lake Ontario) is known for ice storms as well as excessive amounts of lake effect snow.

Don't mind the first paragraphs, just some brainstorming on my part. :D

hmm. If Frostburn was Open Game Content, I could really run wild with this scenario, since I'll (presumably) have official rules on how to rule an icestorm with a culture that doesn't have the Automobile. Too bad, I bet ice storms there are extremely beautiful as everything looks like it's crystalized. :] Although I'd hate any Spartan societies and the way they train their soldiers if they started up in the Finger Lakes area. Young soldiers will have absolutely no protection against the cold and would have died of Hypothermia wearing only the thin chiton they wear all year around.

During the spring, there's often heavy flooding as the snows melt, often extreme in the southern areas, around Binghamton, but even as far north as Ithaca and Cortland. In 2006, the Susquehana rose so high that it flooded parts of Binghamton. It turns large streams into small rivers, and makes all rivers very treacherous to cross, especially due to debris.

Stormwrack! Again, if Stormwrack was Open Game Content, I can put in the official playtested rules. Debris floating down the river, what kind of damage does it do? I bet 5d6 to Gargantuan creatures. :]

During the summer, it can get fairly hot, though it seldom gets excessive. On a clear day, it can be nice. On a cloudy day, it can turn muggy and uncomfortable very quickly. Also, of late mosquitoes have been somewhat of a problem in the area - perfect for a plague or general sickness to hit.

Like I said above, plagues have been known to hit 1/3 of a populace in the Bronze Age, and early and middle Iron Ages. By the Late Iron Age (around the time of Galen of Alexandria), the people would have understood the methods of externally controlling the plague. And since these are Greeks, you're dealing with a culture who didn't think too badly of being free of their clothing. Because of the heat and high humidity, they'd probably wear only the linen chiton; and while it is really hot, they'd of course do all of their hard work without it.

As for rules of plagues, the Mound Builders had around 20 some-odd species of herbs to work with for relieving pain and suffering. These Greeks will know how to make any number of concoctions for medicine: infusions, syrups, poultices, and tinctures to name a few. And since these are Greeks, a number of surgical operations. Nothing medieval like bleeding and that stuff. Of course, there is magic and psionics: cure light wounds, and holistic touch healers.

Fall is by far the most beautiful time in the area, though at night it already gets cold. It also tends to be fairly windy in the area, at least in my experience. It's probably the mildest of the four seasons, IMO.

How pleasant.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Mycanid said:
QFT!

And I loved it!

I didn't (there was a lot to like about high school in Fayetteville and a few years post-college in Rochester, but the winter weather was not a plus...). Hence, the current location tag (well, the low demand for junior-level web programmers in upstate NY in late 2000/early 2001 had something to do with it, too :) ).

LightPhoenix is right about the wonky weather. Where I grew up, it was the spring mud. Awful at times. The kind of stuff that sucks your shoes right off when you try to step through it.
Fall is indeed amazing up there. Crisp and breezy. The sun warming you inbetween gusts. Clear, blue skies. The rattle of leaves bouncing around. ~~Makes you feel alive. Would be a perfect holy time for nature clerics.

Drothgery reminds me of driving by the Morton Salt processing facility all the time on the way to the grandparents. That would certainly be a good addition, too. Salt, as a food preservative, would likely be very valuable.

Last edited:

Mycanid said:
I cannot speak of the other lakes - Mighty Halfling's suggestions somehow did not really "fit" for me regarding Skaneateles Lake other than the one about the fey and the galeb duhr. (Very nice suggestions these were IMO!)

Funny thing is when I looked at the Wikipedia link above and saw "Skaneateles Lake," I said to myself "I've never even heard of that one before!"
I rarely visited northeast quadrant of the Finger Lakes region that much. Guess that explains our different perceptions of the area! :)

grodog

Hero
Mighty Halfling said:
As a minor plug, check out my Dungeon magazine adventure, "Throne of Iuz," in issue No. 118. I based my idea of the Serpent Mound off the Ohio Serpent Mound, which was constructed by one of the ancient mound-building cultures.

Pleased to meet you John, that was a fun adventure, providing some interesting ideas for olven burial practices! :D

Sir Elton

First Post
I love all the responses I've been getting on this topic. I appreciate everyone who is participating. And I urge you to continue to participate. All of this is great stuff!
:D

For those following this thread, I've started a Homebrew Diary. Go there to see how it turns out.

Last edited:

Remove ads