• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finish them!!!

How often do you do it?

As a DM how often do you have your NPC's step forward for that coup de grace after the sucessful hold person?

I look at it this way currently. If the NPC thinks the battle will be over before the spell expires he will not bother to finish off the helpless target. If dispel magics are flying around the battlefield then he will take the effort.

How do you normally do it?

Sniktch

First Post
If the NPC has a reasonable chance to finish someone without getting himself overexposed to attack I take it. If there are still active combatants going after the NPC and its not likely for the helpless victim to participate further in the combat then I leave the helpless person alone and keep fighting.

It also depends upon the combatants. A wicked dark elf, for example, is more likely to go for the coup de grace as soon as possible, while a less intelligent or less evil creature is more likely to be satisfied with removing an opponent from the combat.

Enkhidu

Explorer
As a player, I make sure that any foe in the position to make a Coup de Grace on one of my companions gets my full attention. Usually I put myself between the bad guys and their victim - at the very least this will make sure I can make an AOO on them if try it.

green slime

First Post
It depends on the actions of the players as well.

Should they start CDG:ing those opponents they have held, their adversaries are going to take notice of the "No Quarter" flag being raised, and react in kind.

Thus there have been two character deaths caused directly by the PCs being too eager. Doesn't happen everytime, as the party is more likely to drop everything in a desperate attempt to save friends from a CDG-death than a group of evil dudes, out to look after number one first.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I rarely include hold person effects, but every once in a while I'll come up with a cleric or wizard who does. I go for it especially if it does not expose the NPC to certain death by stepping up to do so, because usually the party stay close to the helpless character and fend off CDG'ers.

Sagan Darkside

First Post
DocMoriartty said:

How do you normally do it?

As often as my players do it. :)

That may seem like a silly answer, but I love recurring villians. I let them know that. If they insist on killing every opponent they have, then their opponents will respond in the same way for the mere sake of survival.

Granted- some opponents are just out to kill them, but they are usually pretty clear.

SD

Dr. NRG

First Post
I want to make sure I'm understanding clearly. It seems to me that a couple of DMs are stating that if their players won't meta-game to allow the DM to keep the recurring villain alive, then the DM will be more apt to CDG them as retribution...

Am I misinterpreting? Isn't the character's goal (generally) to remove immediate threats to their well being?

NRG

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads