• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fire Domain-Suggestions?

RustyDemiGod

Villager
Fire Domain

For as long as mortals can remember fire has provided warmth, light, and protection from those things that dwell in the dark places. Clerics of the Flame understand the necessity of fire to survival. When they are not bringing warmth to the hearth, they are bringing purging flame to the wicked.

Fire Domain Spells

Cleric LevelSpells
1stHellish Rebuke, Burning Hands
3rdHeat Metal, Scorching Ray
5thMelf’s Minute Meteors, Ashardalon’s Stride
7thFire Shield, Wall of Fire
9thFlame Strike, Immolation

-Fire In The Blood: Starting at first level, you gain the Control Flames Cantrip. For you this Cantrip counts as a Cleric Cantrip, and does not count against the number of Cleric Cantrips that you know.

-Forged in Faith: At 1st level, you gain resistance to Fire damage.

-Channel Divinity, Turn or Command Elementals: Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to cause Elementals to flee. As an action, you present your holy symbol, and each elemental within 30ft of you that can hear you must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, elementals other than fire elementals, are turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage. If the Elemental is fire based they are forced to serve you for 1 minute. On each of your turns you can issue orders to a commanded Fire Elemental as a bonus action.

A turned elemental must spend it’s turn trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can not willingly move into a space within 30ft of you. It also can not take reactiocns. For it’s action, it can only use the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

If the elementals true form is concealed by an illusion, shape shifting, or other effect, that form is revealed while it is turned.

-Blue Flame: Starting at 6th level, your fire burns exceedingly hot, and may turn blue from the intense heat. Your abilities and spells ignore Fire Resistance.

-Blessed Burning: When you reach 8th level, you are blessed with divine might in battle. When a creature takes damage from one of your Cantrips or weapon attacks, you can also deal 1d8 Fire damage to that creature. Once you deal this damage, you can’t use this feature again until the start of your next turn.

-Primordial Mastery: Starting at 17th you gain immunity to Fire damage.

Additionally, whenever you are targeted by an effect, spell, or any other attack that deals Fire damage, you can use your reaction redirect that damage to a different target. A target of your choice, within 30ft of you, must make a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failure they take Fire damage equal to the redirected attack’s damage, or half as much on a success.

I am not opposed to cleric spells being on the domain list, but I think conjure elemental might be better than flame strike. When you get planar ally at level 11, you can ask your god to send you a fire elemental (or better yet fire myrmidon) all day with no concentration involved, and then you can cast conjure elemental, so you are the best fire summoner. If that doesn't prove your god loves you best, I don't know what does.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i note that while control flames is a nice gain for flavour the cleric doesn't innately have any fire damage cantrips, i would suggest adding produce flames and green flame blade(for both ranged and melee builds) to their Fire in the Blood feature.

personally i would also swap out one of the first level spells for searing smite as both a thematically apropriate and viable melee option.

RustyDemiGod

Villager
i note that while control flames is a nice gain for flavour the cleric doesn't innately have any fire damage cantrips, i would suggest adding produce flames and green flame blade(for both ranged and melee builds) to their Fire in the Blood feature.

personally i would also swap out one of the first level spells for searing smite as both a thematically apropriate and viable melee option.
A good suggestion! I’ll keep that in mind for version 2.0!

RustyDemiGod

Villager

There’s some fire-esque cleric cantrips that deal radiant damage like Divine Flame. , but it’s not quite what I’m looking for

Quickleaf

Legend
I really like the turning/commanding elementals power - it's unique, echoes existing mechanics, and feels like a great fit for the concept.

I have some critique as well. Disregard my critique if it's not relevant for you.

For me, the mechanics read more like a pyromancer and not a cleric. With a cleric, I'm not looking for primarily a literal interpretation of the element (fire), but rather more of a symbolic one. A great example of this was the old AD&D Al-Qadim spell called Fire Truth where a lie told in the presence of a candle caused it to flicker.

And the flavor text gave me whiplash going from "protecting the hearth" to "purging flames to the wicked." Whoa! Pick a color! ;) (Note: your mechanics are 100% the latter concept, and 0% the former)

But those concerns might mean nothing for the direction you want to push your design.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
@RustyDemiGod if you haven't already i might consider comparing and contrasting your fire domain with the existing cleric domains of light and forge as well as the druid circle of wildfire which also contains very similar themes.

RustyDemiGod

Villager
I really like the turning/commanding elementals power - it's unique, echoes existing mechanics, and feels like a great fit for the concept.

I have some critique as well. Disregard my critique if it's not relevant for you.

For me, the mechanics read more like a pyromancer and not a cleric. With a cleric, I'm not looking for primarily a literal interpretation of the element (fire), but rather more of a symbolic one. A great example of this was the old AD&D Al-Qadim spell called Fire Truth where a lie told in the presence of a candle caused it to flicker.

And the flavor text gave me whiplash going from "protecting the hearth" to "purging flames to the wicked." Whoa! Pick a color! ;) (Note: your mechanics are 100% the latter concept, and 0% the former)

But those concerns might mean nothing for the direction you want to push your design.
I agree looking back on it, I will retool this a bit

RustyDemiGod

Villager
@RustyDemiGod if you haven't already i might consider comparing and contrasting your fire domain with the existing cleric domains of light and forge as well as the druid circle of wildfire which also contains very similar themes.
I appreciate the way you phrased that. I was looking for reviews on Reddit and all I got was “this is the exact same as the light domain”. You ask for suggestions to clarify you get “just use the light domain”

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads