[Firefly] Ruthless Bastards of the 'Verse (Completed 3/6/09)

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
“Episode 11 –Financial Woes” - Second Session

Synopsis of 10/02/06 session - subtitled They pretty much just waste time

Over four months had passed. Most people, when faced with the death of a good friend or loved one let themselves go a little. You expect the rumpled clothes, the five o’clock shadow and the stench of scotch. Not Jack. His clothes were still clean and stylish. His hair was groomed and, while he smelled a little of cigars and scotch, it was the smell of despair and pity. Sure, the friendly smile was missing from his face, making him a look a bit less inviting. His eyes had lost some of their fire, replaced by something darker. But he didn’t have the look of someone who was crawling out of a tub of booze. He had the look of someone with a mission.

On the Cortex screen in front of him sat the image of Irené Williams. Her elegant clothing had been traded in for stylish, frontier business attire. Her long, blonde hair had been shortened into something much more manageable. Nothing could take away the air of society around her but she now looked much more like a Border Planet businesswoman than a Core World socialite.

Jack: I’ve received confirmation that the funds have arrived. You can pick them up at anytime. I’d suggest a sooner pick-up if possible, though. This kind of money has a tendency to make people get stupid. And stealing from the Consortium is almost as stupid as you can get.

Irené: Lau tells me we’re only a few days out, so it should be quick.

Jack: Good. I’d suggest heading on to Ebbon’s World from here. The trail is a little cold but you might be able to get some more information about them. I talked to a Lieutenant Kat Massie from there, but he wanted a face to face meeting to discuss what he knew. He did say he could put us in contact with some personal acquaintances of theirs.

Irené: How much does he want?

Jack: Wouldn’t say so we can assume a significant sum. Just watch your back around him.

Irené: Thanks. Are we going to meet up somewhere?

Jack: Eventually. I’ve got my own lead to follow. It’s a long shot, but I’ll let you know if I find something.

As Ezmerelda headed out the door she noticed five miners hanging around on the porch of the saloon. They didn’t seem to be doing much more than shooting the :):):):) so she paid them no heed and moved on.

Mort and Asta followed a few minutes later. The Bartender called out after Mort.

Bartender: Leaving so soon, purplebelly?

Mort declined to respond, since he was a little confused. As he headed out the door, the miners moved around towards him.

Lead Miner: We don’t like yer kind round here.

They disregarded Asta as she slipped past them to follow Ezmerelda. Mort made quick work of the miners with several swift groin kicks, but took a few punches himself. He heard a gun being cocked inside and noticed the bartender heading around the bar to make way towards him.

Mort: (yelling to the downed miners) Don’t mess with Campan!

Mort then ran down the street a little bit and climbed up onto the overhang above the porch of the General Store. He hid out on the roof to keep an eye out. He saw the bartender rush out of the bar with a pistol in his hand, looking up and down the street. When the bartender didn’t see Mort, he helped the miners up and into the bar. Mort decided it was a good idea to stay up there for a while.

Ezmerelda helped her drunk friend back to his place. As they walked Asta followed at a good distance. They made their way up to a one story building. Light shown out from a side window and the drunk fiddled with some keys. Being drunk, he had a considerable time trying to find the right key for the door. As he struggled to get his key in the lock the door opened to reveal a rather disheveled man.

Disheveled Man: Good heavens, Jonah, we thought you had gotten mugged or something. (turns to Ezmerelda) Are you the doctor?

A loud scream of pain then emanated from further into the house.

Ezmerelda then calmly turned and stepped aside, gesturing for Asta to approach. Asta walked right up and asked where the patient was.

They were led through a rather small house. Walking through a small living room they passed a kitchen on the left and headed right back into a bedroom. A woman was stretched out on the bed, clearly in labor and looking very tired. A window lay open to let in some cool air next to a door to the outside. Asta didn’t bother asking the disheveled man any questions as she examined the woman. She found that the woman was displaying all the symptoms of Bowden’s Malady and was acting like she hadn’t received any medication in a couple weeks. The drain on her energy from the sickness was coupled with the baby being breach turning this into a rather dangerous birth.

While examining the woman, the door outside opened as a short, grey-haired woman in her fifties entered the room. She was wearing a simple dress and smoking a cigarette. When Asta asked her why this woman hadn’t received her medication, the older woman responded with a gravely voice that they hadn’t received their shipment in several weeks. It wasn’t a commonly needed drug, so Asta didn’t stock it in her med kit or on the ship. Over the course of the conversation Asta found out the older woman’s name was Martha Davis. Asta sent Ezmerelda off to get some vodka for sterilization while she set Jonah and the husband to the task of boiling some water. The husband fetched a pail and headed outside.

Asta: (rolling her eyes) We really are out in the boonies.

Daniel and Campan had no problems dropping their buoy and made their way back to the ship. Daniel decided he wanted to play a game of cards while they waited, so he rounded up Take’s dinosaurs and headed for the mess area.

Campan: The pterodactyl is totally worth three times the T-Rex.

Jenny wandered by.

Jenny: Ooh. Card.

Campan: Yeah, alright. You got any dinosaurs?

Jenny: Ooh. You’re not playing for money?

Campan: I don’t HAVE any money!

Daniel: I paid you.

Campan: (glares at Daniel) Paid me… (smiles and extends his hand towards him) Hi! I’m Campan. Have we met?

They sat down and played cards.

Ezmerelda made her way back to the Dead Dog Saloon. Mort watched her run by and enter the saloon. He decided to wait for her to come back out and follow her.

As she hurried in, she noticed the five miners from before huddled together at a table with ice packs. Looking over at the bar, the bartender glared at her as he was cleaning his pistol.

Bartender: What the hell do you want?

Ezmerelda: Jonah’s roommate’s wife is having a baby and they need vodka. Lots of vodka.

The bartender reached under the bar and slammed down a glass bottle filled with clear liquid.

Bartender: Now get out.

Ezmerelda grabbed the bottle and ran out. As Mort watched her run back past he dropped down to the ground and followed. Watching her run into a house, he moved up and looked in the front window. Seeing two men, one of which being the drunk Ezmerelda left with, boiling some water on a stove, he moved around back. Looking in the back window, he saw more than he wanted to, really. Asta and Ezmerelda were over by a pregnant woman giving birth. He paid no heed to Martha a few inches from him, leaning out the window smoking a cigarette.

Mort pulled out his cigar and lit it off the woman’s cigarette.

Mort: Oh, hi there. Everything going okay?

Asta: Just a pregnant woman giving birth here.

Mort: Okay. I’ll just stay out here and smoke then.

Martha: Friend of yours?

Ezmerelda: Yeah, I know him.

Several hours past on the ship. Jenny had wound up with most of the dinosaurs, with Daniel holding on to the pterodactyl. All Campan had was a five year old beernut. He happily ate his ‘winnings.’

As dawn broke, Mort radioed Take.

Mort: Doctor ran into some work. We’re going to be a while. Birthing a baby.

Take had been blissfully sleeping and wasn’t happy about being woken up.

Take: We’re not taking that with us.

Mort: (long pause) No, we’re not.

Now past dawn, Asta completed getting the baby out of the mother and keeping the mother alive. She left some detailed instructions with Martha about caring for the mother and baby. Martha had said she had two sons, so she seemed to know how to take care of a baby. Asta made sure to give the baby all of the vaccinations she felt the child would need. She also threw in a circumcision before leaving.

As they wandered out, they noticed that Jonah had wandered off during the night.

Mort: Why don’t you go ask useless where his friend went. You need to clean your dress off.

Asta: Yeah, you seem to have cake all over your dress. How did that happen?

Ezmerelda: Long story.

Ezmerelda went back to the house and asked where Jonah lived, since he had her purse. The husband pointed her to two doors down.

The door to the house two doors down was wide open. Jonah was passed out on the floor about two feet in. Mort walked right in and looked around. He found the kitchen, what he figured was Jonah’s room, and three other rooms. It looked to him that this was a communal house for several bachelors. He dragged Jonah into the room and had the two women follow him. Mort shut the door as Asta settled down at Jonah’s cortex terminal to start working on hacking. Asta found the place had a sophisticated security system. She figured they were going to want lunch and possibly dinner if she was going to be at all stealthy about her breaking into their computers.

Mort wandered into the kitchen to find something to eat before people started waking up, but only found uncooked bacon. He decided to wait until people left. He rifled through the room quietly while waiting, but didn’t find anything he wanted.

Back on the ship, Daniel woke up after several hours of sleep. Since the shuttle wasn’t back yet, Daniel assumed the worst and set up a secure channel to the shuttle. Take was woken up to the sound of lots of beeps as Daniel sent a morse code message to him.

Take: (over radio) What the :):):):) is that supposed to mean?

Daniel then responded in binary to Take Jackass.

Take let Daniel know that Asta had found another charity case. Daniel told him to check back in after six hours.

Asta made sure she was careful as she made her way through the database. After Mort heard people leave he headed out to the kitchen to cook bacon. Mort made them all bacon and bacon sandwiches. He then did the dishes.

Asta found out that the complex was not located within a town, so it had its own dedicated water and power. She verified the location of the power generators and the backups. She tried to get info on the rail system, security personnel, the cleaning company, and the cafeteria staff. She found what companies they contracted with for janitors and lunch ladies. She got a listing of ingoing and outgoing transactions and where they were currently being stored. She found out all this info was being stored in archive Aa-Ge.

Six hours came and went. Then six hours came and went again. Mort radioed Take to give him an update during that time. During that time Daniel received word from Mascovich with a time and a place for a meet (four am at the buoy). Daniel let Campan know they had an appointment and suggested they take a nap.

Asta finished up retrieving the information around three in the morning. Since they had been up for about forty eight hours by then they were a bit punch drunk and very high on caffeine. Mort and Ezmerelda had gotten very bored during this time, especially once people came back home. He amused himself by kicking the sedated Jonah until Asta made him stop.

They tied Jonah to the bed and made it look like he had a really good time. They then climbed out the window and headed back to the shuttle. Once there, they woke Take up. Mort used the distraction to slip into the co-pilot’s seat. Asta curled up on the floor and used her medical bag as a pillow. But, since she was pumped full of caffeine and couldn’t sleep she decided to talk incessantly the whole trip back.

The shuttle got back to the ship just as Daniel and Campan were pulling out on the mule to go to their meet with Mascovich. Daniel left a note on the pterodactyl that they were going to the meet. He took a second to note there was a note on the T-Rex saying All These Belong to Jenny.

In their punch drunk state Asta went around trying to convince crew members to leave her their brains when they died. Ezmerelda agreed in exchange for birth control.

As they drove Daniel radioed the ship and asked Asta if she was moderately successful. She responded with a very long response spoken very quickly. Daniel turned off the radio a few seconds after she started.

Asta curled up on the floor of the medbay. Mort curled up in his room. Ezmerelda curled up in her room. Take curled up on the bridge.

Daniel and Campan got to the meet point in a forested area. A short and skinny man with distinctive Slavic features stood leaning up against a mule waiting.

Daniel expressed his desire for Mascovich to figure out a way for them to join the workforce temporarily.

Mascovich: What you need?

Daniel: Basically we need to sneak in there as workers.

Mascovich: Uniforms.

Daniel: And any protocols you know of for us to get on the train.

Mascovich: Usually money.

Daniel: When I say get on the train I mean also walk in the front door of the place.

Mascovich: Ah. ID badges. Little bit harder to get than uniforms.

Daniel: You know how hard checked they are?

Mascovich: Never tried go in.

Daniel asked for a good place to oversee a workday from a discrete distance. Mascovich directed them to the bluffs by some old mines.

Campan: I take note.

Mascovich: Wodka!

Campan: No. It’s called vodka.

Mascovich: Wodka.

Campan: No, vodka.

Paul: This is an argument that will end in Campan shooting someone.

Campan: VOD-KA!

Daniel asked if they had a repair station for the train at the complex. Mascovich said no. When asked how far away they had one, Mascovich said there was one before Paradiso and one at the Alliance camp.

Daniel: Do we have anything we can use to blow up train tracks?

Campan: Mort.

Mascovich laughed.

Daniel asked if they had any good aerial sensors around the area besides on the complex. Mascovich responded that there was the Cortex. Daniel asked about areas around there that could be used to duck down for escape. Mascovich pointed out the canyons, about twenty miles past the bluffs.

As they concluded things, Mascovich said it would be two days before he could get uniforms and badges. They could discuss price then.

Daniel: I missed the part where it was a monorail.

Campan: Because if there were two it would be so much better.

Daniel: Yes, because then we could use the mule and just hop on the tracks. What are we going to do now?

Campan: Well, considering we’re already known outlaws the Orasca could just swing in and pick us up.

Daniel: That’s a last ditch effort at best.

Campan: Well, unless the monorail strangely stops working and crashes.

Daniel: Oh, that’s already intended.

Campan: With Mort on it. (pause) I know…

Daniel: Campan. If we break the monorail with Mort on it we can’t have him break any more monorails.

Campan: I didn’t know this was planned to be a multiple things.

Liz: Yes. We’re the anti-monorail brigade.

Paul: We prefer the trirail.

Liz: Monorail jihad. Wo wo wo wo. (like an indian)

Campan and Daniel got back to the ship to find everyone asleep. Daniel wandered into the medbay to wake Asta up to get the data from her. He tried to help her to her room.

Liz: Am I even vaguely coherent?

Alex: Are you even vaguely waking up?

Gabe: If I drop her down the stairs, she’ll wake up.

Paul: Yes, but this is the sadistic doctor we’re talking about. Do you really want to drop her down some stairs? Dropping Campan down some stairs. Funny. Dropping the doctor down the stairs. Likely to get you killed later.

Daniel called Campan over to help him pick her up.

Paul: (to Liz) So, two strange men are fondling you in your sleep.

She freaked out and tried bashing them away. They managed to get some drugged coherence out of her. She beat up her terminal to get the data on it to come up, but it disagreed.

Daniel: Campan, help me into her bed.

Campan: Umm.. I don’t know what kind of ship you run, sir, but I’m not into that.

They got Asta to her bed and Daniel spent a couple hours trying to find the information they wanted. He tried to find out if their deposit had a scheduled date for pickup, but it didn’t. He found out that only one of the main doors worked with power and all of the emergency escape doors worked without power, but the vaults did not work without power. He then spent lots of time trying to figure out the solution to something that was Mort’s area of expertise. He eventually realized this and went to sleep.

When Take woke up he found Jenny’s note about the dinosaurs. He wrote a note saying No they aren’t. They owe you something else and stuck it to the door of her room.

Once everyone was awake Daniel called a meeting. The discussed things like sabotaging the rail line between the depository and the Alliance camp. Mort had several ideas involving circuits and polarity. Mort figured out a way to disable all of their power at once. It involved him being in the basement near the center of the building. He didn’t need any smuggled in items, but the procedure itself had the potential to be dangerous.

They then plotted how they were going to poison the water supply. They ended their meeting by discussing going to the bluffs to observe a work day.

*Fade to Black*

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Ha! We've finally had another session. There was a rash of weeks where I was too tired and ill-mannered to GM. Session Three, tentatively titled 'Let's Do This the Hard Way' should be up before thursday. I hope.

Sidekick

First Post
YAY!!!! more Firefly style goodness from the overkitty.

hey I was wondering, you know you how use the whole 'fade to black' thing that you use at the end of your posts?

Did you know that they don't actually use black on the show? I only found that out the other day.

Apaprently Fox doesn't allow black on their screens and whenever black appears their machines cut to commercial.

So Wheddon used a deep Suede, ie the darkest colour he could muster that wouldn't trip the machines.

So on the cast/crew always say 'fade to suede'.

This lame factoid that that most people here already knew was brought to you by the letters B, C and the number 26.

Sidekick

First Post
Yuck…
Fade to Rum - check
Fade to Tequila – only if I’m really drunk

But fade to chartreuse - only if I’m desperate to throw up within the next 60 seconds. And I dealt with that problem years ago…

And your right this show wouldn't ever get on Fox.

Why did they axe the show again?

Muppets

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Well, I'm over a third of the way done with it. I'm playtesting my All Flesh Must Be Eaten oneshot for the providence gameday tonight, so I'm kind of working on that at the moment. It should be up within the next couple days.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
“Episode 11 –Financial Woes” - Third Session

Synopsis of 10/30/06 session - subtitled Things Run Smoothly For A Change?

The crew continued discussing how they were going to poison the water supply.

Gabe: As long as Mort knows how, we’re all saved. And you should be worried that Daniel says that.

Daniel occupied himself for the day by spending it upon the bluffs observing a day of work. Some workers in white outfits and puffy hats showed up around 6am by the rail and entered through the closer side entrance. Two hours later a large group of workers arrived and entered through the main entrance while a small group of cleaners entered through the side entrance. Both groups were checked in in a single file line by guards. Around three in the afternoon another wave of workers arrived while the first group left. Around ten at night a small group of people arrived and entered through the closer side entrance while the second group of workers left. The guards seemed to arrive with both group of workers and the late night cleaners.

While Daniel was away for the day, Asta was busy finishing up the diuretic that was to be added to the water supply.

Jenny: Shouldn’t we test that out first?

Asta: I suppose we should.

Jenny: (grinning) I have the perfect test subject.

Asta: I don’t think I want to know. Here.

Asta wrote out the proper dosage for one person and gave Jenny a sample of the poison. Jenny walked off smiling and humming a happy tune. Mort noticed how happy Jenny was and decided, whatever it was, he was happy he had never annoyed Jenny.

About midday Take began to feel a bit incontinent. He spent a good amount of the rest of the day making frequent, long trips to the Head.

Jenny wandered by the infirmary and let Asta know the drug seemed to be working.

Daniel got back to the ship late.

Campan: Sir, it’s eleven fifty two. It’s dinner time.

Daniel: Yup. I’m late.

Mort, Campan, and Asta discussed what Daniel learned while Daniel ate. Daniel felt they should poison the water supply the day before, since they weren’t receiving any cook uniforms from Mascovich. Mort didn’t like this, since he felt they would change things the next day due to low worker counts. Daniel felt they wouldn’t get the benefit of poisoning the food because the cafeteria would make the food before the water was poisoned. Jenny wandered through the common area.

Jenny: It’s fairly fast acting.

Mort took note of this. Jenny continued on and banged on the door to the communal toilet.

Jenny: How you doing in there, captain?

Mort talked about acquiring a cook’s uniform and inserting them into the cooking staff. Daniel felt this plan was doomed to failure, since it suffered from a large probability of ‘let me double check that.’ He felt it was better to sneak everyone in with the masses of office workers and forget about the cook part.

Asta: So send someone who can talk.

Mort: Send someone believable.

Campan: (slams down his beer) Alright, I’ll do it!

Mort: No. You missed the part about believable.

Campan: Oh. Then I won’t.

Later on in the conversation Jenny asked Asta if she had made an antidote for the poison. Asta answered no in a very roundabout way.

Jenny: So how long does it take to run it’s course? Well, we’re kind of checking that now, I guess.

Asta let her know somewhere between a couple hours to a day.

Jenny wasn’t worried.

They then discussed for a long time about how to go about obtaining a chef’s uniform and ID badge. It got horribly complicated with trying to make the bad plan work. Eventually they went to bed.

The next day Mort and Campan walked back to town to watch the rail for chefs. When one got off the train with the other workers at four, they shadowed him. When the guy walked into the Dead Dog Saloon, Mort turned to Campan.

Mort: Campan, go in and chat him up.

Campan: Aye Aye, Mortain!

Mort: Oh, and you’re a browncoat.

Mort tried to hand Campan his browncoat, but Campan refused, saying he didn’t need it.

Campan took a few steps towards the door and then turned around.

Campan: Umm, can I have a few dollars?

Mort sighed and then pick pocketed a miner for company credits.

Mort: Here. It’s like money, I think.

Campan took the credits and wandered into the bar. Looking around, he didn’t see the guy with the white uniform on. It took him a little bit to figure out the guy had gone into the kitchen. Campan went up to the bar and ordered a beer and asked to see a menu. He found out the food was just protein.

Ryan: What the :):):):) do you need a chef for that for? Which I do not say out loud.

Campan ordered a sandwich. He was mildly annoyed when one of the female waitresses picked up the order and brought him out his sandwich with no appearance of the chef.

Campan: Mmmmm. Delicious. I wish to send my compliments to the chef, if I may.

Bartender: (yelling towards the kitchen) Hey Henry. He likes your food.

Campan: (yelling towards the kitchen) Yes. Thank you Henry.

Henry: (yelling from the kitchen) Thanks.

Campan drank until he ran out of credits, leaving Mort to stand outside for a couple hours.

Three hours later he finished off his last beer and headed outside to ‘case the joint.’ He met up with a grumpy Mort.

Campan: I wasn’t prepared for him to be working. And it was hard to get to him. So I gave up and drank beer.

This statement left Mort on the verge of tears. Or homicidal mania. We’re just not sure which. Finally Campan radioed Daniel for help. Daniel told him to just go talk to the chef and try and find out how to get hired so they’d have a place to start.

Campan walked around the back of the saloon and knocked on the back door. There was some confusion for a bit because the GM initially thought Campan had walked into the saloon, through the bar to the kitchen door and knocked. Because this would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do for Campan. Once this was straightened out the group had to wait for Ryan to stop crying.

Ryan: That’s it. Everyone gets rubber balls. We’re going to bounce them a few times and then call it a night.

Gabe: And we’ll have gotten more done.

Ryan: Yes!

The door to the kitchen opened to reveal a guy in a white uniform.

Campan: (himself near tears) You’re obviously the chef. Because of the white uniform. I wished to complement you on your food. I haven’t had such good protein cubes in many years.

Henry: Would you like the recipe?

Campan: Yes. Yes I would. Is it free?

Henry: Yes.

Campan: Oh. You’re such a nice man. I want to be someone like you… someday. How would I go about being a chef like you?

Campan managed to get out of him what company he worked for and where to apply.

Campan: How is that corporately structured?

He found out Henry’s immediate boss was Martin Yan.

Ryan: (mumbles) Must kill GM.

Campan: Good to know. I’ll be sure to do such things tomorrow. I appreciate you giving me this recipe.

*Everyone but Ryan is laughing hysterically by this point.

Ryan: It’s working, shut up!

After Henry shut the door Campan wandered back to Mort.

Campan: I got the recipe!

Mort cocked his shotgun.

Campan: Oh. And the name of the supervisor. Yan. Martin Yan. So we should hunt this man down and kill him. And take his stuff.

Liz: No, not kill him.

Ryan: You’re not there! We can kill him many times. Slowly if we want.

Mort and Campan walked back to the ship and looked up where Yan lived. They found out he was two towns down the rail line away from the depository. They took the rail over and wandered into the bar there. With some quick information gathering they found out where Yan lived. Mort stole a company credit from a waitress and tipped the bartender.

Finding Yan’s house wasn’t hard. Since it was now late in the evening they wandered around the house looking in windows. They found a little girls room, a kitchen, and the main bedroom. They radioed back to Asta for chloroforming equipment for the residents. Campan actually thought to ask about the proper dosage for a child. Asta drop shipped them some at the edge of town using the shuttle. The two of them burst in sneakily, knocked the family out with their drugs, tied them all up to the beds and stole the chef’s uniform and ID badge. They then searched around for other stuff to steal. They found the family was actually pretty poor.

Campan: I’m half tempted to steal something from their neighbors to give to them.

About this time Daniel and Take headed out to meet Mascovich. As they arrived at the meeting point they found Mascovich already waiting for them. Mascovich handed over six ID badges and six office worker uniforms.

Mascovich: You want deal with money through you or through Logan?

Daniel:I’d say through Logan unless you want to take some less mobile goods off our hands.

Mascovich: (slightly confused) Less mobile goods?

Daniel:Food stuffs.

Mascovich: Oh. I thought you talking about concrete blocks or something…

Daniel and Mascovich then discussed how Mascovich would acquire the payment. They initially agreed that Mascovich would follow them back. Mascovich made a comment that he’d need another mule anyway. This confused Daniel.

Paul: The GM is smiling. I’m confused. Things have gone horribly wrong.

They changed their plan so that Daniel stayed with Mascovich while Take went back to the Orasca, loaded up the shuttle with the food, and flew back to the meeting point.

Mort then headed out and set up the tracks between the Depository and the Alliance base to breakdown at a specific time the next day.

After everyone was well rested and the ship was moved to the canyons near the depository they were ready.

They still had problems figuring out how they were going to escape the Depository afterwards.

Daniel: How do we walk out the door with a duffle bag full of money?

Mort & Campan: Casually.

Many things were discussed. Campan even offered to steal some horses for the crew. No consensus was reached.

Pictures of the crewmembers were substituted for the photos on the ID badges. Mort’s badge said Joe Johnson, Campan’s said Campan, Daniel’s said Johnny Paesan, and Asta’s said Donna Joe.

Ezmerelda was the first to go in, since she was taking the place of the chef they had tied up. She took the rail in with the other chefs, getting strange looks but no one talked to her. She followed them over to the side entrance when they arrived at the depository and was the last in the line to get checked in by the guard. Procedure being procedure, it didn’t matter if the guard believed her story that the head chef was sick and she was filling in or not. They had received no word of this and had to check with the main office. Ezmerelda stood there as the group shouted out suggestions to Arianne on how to drama point herself out of the bind.

Gabe: Drama points: how to solve bad plans.

Paul: Yup.

Gabe: We could have done better than that plan.

Paul: We didn’t. Moving along.

Arianne: Drama point: he hits his head and forgets everything.

Alex: Eh, what the :):):):). I don’t care.

Ryan: Oh no. This is sounding very familiar.

Dan: Yeah, but I think he has the guts to kill everyone.

Ryan: Mine wasn’t that kind of game!

Ezmerelda played dumb and sneakily nudged him into a greasy spill she created with a pouch Mort gave her, forcing him to fall into the Cortex terminal and knocking himself out. Trying not to look up at the camera getting this all on recording, she hurried inside and rejoined the cooks. They continued to look at her funny, but didn’t question her presence. After all, the guard let her in. She went about poisoning the food and mixing up breakfast and lunch. Several janitors did ask her who she was, though.

A few hours later the rest of the crew blended in with the morning shift of workers and got in line. Mort looked funny in an office uniform. He looked even stranger with a clean-shaven face and combed hair.

Asta: (to Campan) You did wash, right?

Campan: I was told not to wash. We are the unwashed masses.

All five made it through the checkpoint just fine, since they were gunless workers. Their faces were nicely recorded by the photo capture, but they were expecting that. Each were careful to note that the guards were armed with batons. The crew split off into groups. Campan and Mort went off to get to the water supply for the building. Daniel and Take wandered around casing the joint and looking for where vault was. Asta headed for the bathrooms.

Campan and Mort found a basement access door and found it was locked. Mort swiped a keycard from a janitor and the two wandered down into the poorly lit basement. They wandered around the basement looking in rooms and knocking out old men until they found the water purification center. Mort and Campan found maintenance supplies and some metal pipes for weapons along the way. Once Mort had shut down the purification system and emptied the poison into the water they waited.

Daniel and Take kept an eye on the security guards. He found five of them were stationed outside the large dummy vault. The rest were patrolling the building or in the security office.

Asta mostly camped out in stalls and moved from bathroom to bathroom to avoid suspicion. She figured that when people started using the bathrooms much more frequently and sounding sick the plan was working.

After a while Mort showed Campan out of the basement and headed for the power supply.

For lunch, Ezmerelda served people poisoned meat. Campan wandered into the cafeteria and nodded to Ezmerelda. He was able to resist the temptation of the evil jello. After he finished going through the lunch line he ditched his tray and left.

Campan: (with complete lack of emotion) I don’t feel well. Ow, my tummy.

He then wandered around the building looking for Asta, Daniel, or Take. As people were starting to get sick he ran into Daniel and Take near the security office.

Back in the lunch line, Ezmerelda gave a security guard an extra helping of poisoned food. He just thought she was hitting on him.

With people thinning out, the trio headed up to the Office of the head of Accounts Receivable to obtain a key to the vault. Seeing the office was unoccupied, Take stealthily picked the lock on the door. They then filed in and shut the door, searching around.

Back in the cafeteria, one of the other cooks told Ezmerelda that they needed to close down the lunch line since people were getting sick from something. She told him that was a good idea and said she had seen Henry stir something into the mixture earlier.

Once they had found the security code Daniel slipped a trophy under his coat to use as a weapon. Take didn’t see the point in taking a weapon himself, but Daniel insisted. Take picked up a paperweight on the way out and headed for the security office.

As expected, there were fewer guards around the large vault and fewer guards in the security office. Daniel stumbled into the security office looking very sick and complained of a stomach pains. He put on a very good performance so the two guards actually got up to get out of the way of the vomit they thought was coming. Campan wandered in behind Daniel and attacked a guard with his lead pipe. A couple blows to the head later from the pipe and the trophy and the two guards were knocked out on the floor. Daniel then induced vomiting on himself and puked on the guards. He then pulled out his bottle of non-poisoned water and cleaned his mouth. Daniel told Take to stay in the security office and yank the discs while he and Campan headed for the vault their money was in. Take picked up one of the guard’s sonic guns and looked over the computer. He sounded very confident that he knew how to wipe the security footage. Daniel radioed Asta and told her to head for the security office.

Asta wandered into the cafeteria and found Ezmerelda. She grabbed Ezmerelda and dragged her out into the building. A chef tried to stop them but Ezmerelda made some excuse about feeling really sick and needing the bathroom. She completely ignored the chef trying to director her to the closest bathroom. The two began heading towards security.

Campan and Daniel discretely moved into the office on the second floor the vault was connected to.

Daniel: Campan, close the door and hit anyone on the head that isn’t us.

Campan: Aye Aye.

Daniel entered the code into a keypad on the underside of the desk. They watched as a section of the floor opened up beneath them to reveal a ladder down to the first floor of the building where this vault resided. Daniel was very confused when he heard sounds coming from inside the vault. He quickly realized that someone was having a Nooner inside the vault.

*Ryan proceeds to make several obscene sex sounds.*

Daniel: Alright. I guess we have to do this the hard way.

Daniel then pulled the trophy out of his jacket and thunked it in his hand.

*Fade to Black*

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
“Episode 11 –Financial Woes” - Fourth Session

Synopsis of 11/13/06 session - subtitled Mort > Machine Gun

Asta and Ezmerelda walked through a cubicle maze in the direction of the security center. They noticed a security guard turn a corner and head in their direction, but decided to keep their cool and continue on their way. The security guard moved right up to them and stopped, blocking their path.

Security Guard: (to Ezmerelda) Excuse me, miss, but you’re going to have to come with me.

Ezmerelda: But I’m really sick. I have to go to the.

Security Guard: You don’t look sick.

Ezmerelda tried to explain she wasn’t obviously sick and that she just needed to go to the bathroom, but the guard didn’t seem to be buying it. He told her he would escort her to a bathroom, despite her comments that Asta was already helping her.

Security Guard: (to Asta) Are you acquainted with this person, ma’am?

Asta: In a vague sort of way. (pause) She served me lunch or something.

Unsure how to dissuade him, the two went along with the security guard as he escorted them in the direction of the holding facility.

Back by the vault, Daniel gave Campan the instructions to stay at the top of the ladder into the vault and to wait for his signal to come down. Daniel grabbed onto the ladder and quietly started climbing down. As he climbed down he noticed metal tracks on the sides of the ladder that likely were used for a loading platform. Once he got to the bottom he found himself on a small alcove on top of a small freight platform. He noticed a small computer panel on the wall to his right with controls for the platform and a keypad for the vault door. He moved through a very short entryway to the main vault room. The room was the size of a small office with metal walls. Six metal crates about the size of small dog crates with money markers on them were secured to the ground around the room. A security camera in the far left corner overlooked the entryway and vault proper.

Daniel ducked down to survey the situation and the naked people. He quickly moved over, shoving the woman off of the man and knocked the man on the head with the trophy. Daniel then ordered the panicking woman to shut up and kneel, making sure she didn’t turn around. Once she was kneeling, he tied her up. Searching the crates, he found the three crates that actually had money in them. Noting there was a mixture of credits and platinum, he knocked the woman out and then started dragging the crates over to the platform.

Take watched Asta’s group and Daniel over the security feeds and kept the bored Mort apprised of the situation over the comm. Daniel told Take to shut off the camera in the vault so that, should someone else enter the security office, they wouldn’t see what was happening. When Take informed him that Asta and Ezmerelda were being taken to a holding facility Daniel told them to be ready to cut power once he was out of the vault.

Take had been rather busy with the others so he almost didn’t notice something strange at the main entrance. It looked like three workers were beating up the security guard. This amused Take and figured it was a good distraction.

Take: (over Security’s channel and group’s comm.) We’ve got a situation out front at the main doors. Officer needs assistance.

As the guard went down Take noticed that the workers were armed.

Paul: Oh god. Somebody is robbing the place.

Take: (over group’s comm.) Looks like some people are coming in to rob the place.

Mort cursed.

Take: (over group’s comm.) Looks like they’re armed.

Daniel: (over group’s comm.) Nee ta ma duh tyen-shia suo-yo duh run doh gai si.

[sblock]Nee ta ma duh tyen-shia suo-yo duh run doh gai si = :):):):) everyone in the universe to death.[/sblock]

As Daniel reached over to activate the lift the three heisters moved through the main door into the Depository. The normal lighting of the building was replaced by flashing red lights and the quiet office noise was replaced by loud alarm klaxons. The vault door above Daniel slammed shut and the lift lowered back to the floor. In the security office the computers flashed the message ‘Lockdown Procedure Activated.’

Though he already had the door shut, Take moved over to quickly lock it. From outside the security office he could hear a gun going off and loud shouting.

Mort swore and activated his device that was set to mess up the rail.

Back with Asta and Ezmerelda, the guard swore and grabbed Ezmerelda’s arm. He slapped a handcuff on her arm, holding the other cuff. Asta jabbed the guy in the jugular with a needle and injected him with a sedative. He backhanded Asta’s face, knocking her back into the wall. Ezmerelda yanked her arm out of the guy’s grip, slapping him in the face with the free cuff. Asta slapped him back, but her punch hurt less than his. He took a step back and raised his gun at her. She dived out of the way, causing him to knockout an office worker with his sonic gun. Ezmerelda grabbed Asta’s medical purse and bashed the guard in the groin with it. The guard crumpled and succumbed to the pain and sedatives.

Take watched the security monitor showing the entrance area intently. He saw that the heisters consisted of a short man with a shotgun, a scruffy guy with a submachine gun and an ugly woman with a big pistol. He watched as a guard up front got shot by the shotgun.

Take: That’s unfortunate for him.

Back in the vault, Daniel was dismayed by the security code not working. He was further annoyed by not finding a release valve to open the vault door.

Daniel told Asta over the comm. to get to the security office and get the vault unlocked.

Asta: (over group’s comm.) Bastard hurt my face.

Take: (over group’s comm.) Yeah, that’s nice. Get moving.

Asta picked up the guard’s sonic gun and rifled his pockets for something useful, like keys for handcuffs. She heard the gun shots echo through the building.

Asta: (over group’s comm.) Okay. Who brought guns to the party?

Mort: (over group’s comm.) Someone brought us guns for Christmas. Don’t ask questions.

The group discussed things for a short while.

Mort: Getting bored.

Asta handed the gun to Ezmerelda and the two set off.

Take noticed the woman with the big pistol heading over toward the security office so he set the two guards up in the chairs and positioned himself behind a guard to use as cover. The door knobbed rattled then blew off as it was shot. The door swung open and the woman waved her gun. As she started to speak, Take aimed his sonic gun and fired, blasting her back.

Take: (over group’s comm.) Oh great. Now the door is wide open. Hurry up, would you!

Noticing the two other heisters were coming over on the door, Take moved up next to the door. As soon as the guy with the shotgun was in his line of sight in the doorway, Take blasted him with the sonic gun, knocking him back and out.

Asta and Ezmerelda arrived just in time to see the guy with the submachine gun opening up on the security office.

Asta: (over group’s comm.) Holy :):):):) he has a machine gun...

Mort: (cutting her off over group’s comm.) Ooh. Get it for me!

Asta: (over group’s comm.) Uh, no! Retreat!

Asta and Ezmerelda turned around and headed for the basement to find Mort instead.

In the security office, Take was dropped to the ground covering his head as glass and sparks rained down upon him.

Take: (over group’s comm.) How far away are you guys?

Asta: (over group’s comm.) Getting further away, sir! Can’t deal with machine gun. Getting Mort.

Paul: Hmm. Mort equals machine gun. *grins*

Alex: No. There is a greater than symbol in there.

Mort, having decided to improvise, got to the point where he could cut out some of the power without affecting everything. He slit the wires, causing all security feeds and transmissions to cease.

Take took a peak up at the remaining security camera to see if more heisters were coming in. As he watched a bunch of workers trying, and failing, to get out the front door, the cameras all went dead.

Take: (over group’s comm.) Oh. I’m blind now. Thanks Mort.

Having accomplished this task, Mort started running towards the basement access door to get up to the security office.

Take noticed that the guy with the submachine gun was trying to wake up the other heisters so he started stealthily crawling towards the doorway. The heister noticed Take, but Take had the faster draw. Just as the heister went down a security guard showed up.

Take: I got them! Help me tie them up.

Security guard: Good work office worker.

Down in the vault, the man started waking up. Daniel played the part of another captive and ‘interrogated’ the guy. The worker told him to sit tight and wait for the Alliance to show up to shut down the lockdown.

Daniel: Are we going to suffocate?

Tied-up Office Worker: Not unless someone turns off the power.

Daniel: (look of panic) I hope that doesn’t happen.

While Take and the security guard were tying up the heisters another security guard showed up. The guard had been paying just enough attention to him, giving orders, that he couldn’t just slip away.

Take: (pointing at the security office) Holy crap. What happened to them in there!

Security Guard: (to Take) Go check it out.

Take’s shoulder’s slumped as the guard stood over the heisters and watched Take go to check it out. The second security guard collected the heisters’ weapons as the first told him they needed to get the people down to holding.

Daniel relayed to the others quietly that if they cut power to the vaults they suffocate.

Security Guard: Everything alright in there?

Take: (looking at the dead guards and the sparking and smoking equipment) Uh, yeah. Everything should be alright until you get back from getting those guys to holding.

Take closed the door a bit so it was less likely for someone to see in. He heard some groggy noises and the group head off. Peaking outside he saw they were gone but noticed two new guards.

Mort stopped by the janitor he killed earlier and grabbed some tools and duct tape. Asta and Ezmerelda met up with Mort at the basement access door as he was duct taping it open. Ezmerelda handed Mort the sonic gun and they headed off for the security office. Once they got to the main area Mort left Asta and Ezmerelda behind the corner and ran up to the guards.

Mort: (loudly) What’s all the commotion out here?

Security Guard: Sir, you should move to lockdown area A.

Mort: Oh right!

Mort then raised the sonic gun and fired. A brief fight then ensued as Take ran out and rushed the guards as well. There was lots of getting knocked to the ground by the guns Mort and a guard got knocked unconscious, leaving Take to deal with the other one. Thankfully the guard couldn’t radio for help since Mort had knocked out communications. Ezmerelda screamed to distract the guard at a key point, allowing Take to knock the guard out.

With the guards out Asta and Ezmerelda rushed over as Take was kicking the guard some more for good measure. Take ordered Ezmerelda to gather up the guns while he started dragging the guards into the security office. Asta started poking around the computer room. Eventually they remembered Mort was knocked out on the floor still. Asta pumped Mort full of stimulant.

Mort: OWWW!!! My appendix! Oh wait, I don’t have one of those.

Once Mort was awake and all the guards were in the security office they barricaded the door. The remaining security computer had a map of the complex on it with red Xs over all the exits and ‘Lockdown Procedure Activated’ flashing on the screen.

When Asta tried to get into the system it requested a security password. Not finding any written around the room she injected a mild stimulant into the highest ranking security guard. Mort then proceeded to interrogate and torture the guy for the passwords. After Mort jabbed a needle into the guy’s eye and he refused to break Asta tossed Mort some sodium pentothal.

Mort: Sodium what? What’s this?

After making the guard loopy with the drug they got the password out of him. The guard then started rattling off other passwords with no context. Mort copied them all down on his arm.

Asta rooted through the computer and figured out how she could activate a lockdown drill during the current lockdown. This would fool the computer into thinking it was all a drill and release the lockdown once the drill was complete. She activated the drill and set it for a five minute period. While rooting through the computer she also found that the information they had on what doors worked when the power was off was false and updated everyone.

Ezmerelda and Take headed up to the office the vault was in. Mort headed off back to the basement to kill the power. Asta stayed behind to finish taking out the computer once they were done.

Down in the vault, Daniel made sure the two workers were thoroughly unconscious by hitting them in the head again, then waited for the lockdown to release. Ezmerelda and Take got to the door to the vault office just as the five minutes were up and the lockdown released. They were greeted by a very bored Campan, who had been trapped in by the lockdown. Something about reinforced doors and shatter-proof glass. Daniel opened the vault door and used the lift to bring the crates of money up with him. Campan picked up a crate with ease. Daniel picked up a crate with some difficulty. Take and Ezmerelda together picked u[ a crate with a little difficulty.

During this time Asta was busy erasing the computer system entirely. She left the computer at a c:/ prompt as Mort killed the power to the building. The group met up at a determined rendezvous site, wandering though the very dark building. They saw the large mass of workers filing out the door and a few remaining security guards and decided the crates they were hauling were very conspicuous. They transferred the money into the duffle bags they had brought and Mort bundled up the five sonic guns in a jacket. Seeing people were being herded into a waiting area outside the building, Mort quickly rigged one of the guns to explode. As they filed out of the building and towards the throng of workers Mort tossed the rigged gun into the crowd and shouted ‘BOMB!.’

The resulting explosion knocked a good deal of people out and cause an even greater confusion. They quickly moved away from the group and towards the front of the building. On their way, Take noticed a very beat up mule parked in the open. It was loud, pumped out black smoke, and didn’t want to start, but it ran with some urging from Mort. Mort was able to take care of the smoke and some of the noise as they got away, making the mule less obvious. Take noticed an Alliance shuttle coming in towards the Depository, but stayed well away from it. The ride was very loud from the echoes once they got into the canyons, but nothing seemed to be chasing them.

Once on the Orasca they took off, flying low to the ground and headed for their new hiding spot. The sonic guns went into one hidden compartment. The money went into another hidden compartment. The uniforms went into the engine (safely, Mort will note). Jenny was rather delighted to get to fix up Asta’s face. She used a little too much novacane, but did a decent job.

Asta monitored the secure channels and the news channels, but found no mention of their activity. After a short rest Take took note of when the patrol boat was off on the other side of the planet and piloted the Orasca away from the planet.

Having had some time to discuss things, they found out that the money they obtained did total seventy thousand, but was fifty thousand platinum and twenty thousand Alliance credits. They didn’t want to just give up the extra thirty thousand equivalent worth of platinum but, since Alliance credits are very traceable, the crew wasn’t sure what to do with them. Daniel talked about laundering the money, but he wasn’t quite sure how to go about that process or how much they would get in return from that investment. He presented the idea of just giving Logan the twenty thousand credits, since Logan had stated he wanted twenty thousand without stating a currency, but that idea was shot down. Talking with Logan, Daniel found that offering Logan eight thousand credits, the equivalent of twenty thousand platinum, wasn’t going to cut it, since Logan didn’t feel that was worth his share. The conversation boiled down to Logan wanting twenty thousand of something, not less.

They had decided that next they were going to need to get their good fake IDs. This meant they would have to go to the Core, a fact that Mort, Take, and Daniel reviled. Daniel knew it might be possible to get the IDs on a border world like Persephone, but they would be paying even more exorbitant prices and it would take even more time.

Asta was actually rather happy at the prospect of going to the Core and gave them information on where would be a good place to go. She did point out some slight problems on needing a legitimate reason to land on the planet, pointing out that Sihnon would be the easiest of the planets to get to. She did comment that they could go to Londinium and say they were there to see their lawyer. Mort said he was sure he’d be shouting that a lot there. Though the command crew hated the idea of dealing with Niska again, they felt he would be their best bet for getting onto Sihnon.

The Orasca headed in the direction of Ezra, still having lots of things to work out. Mort felt that the forger he knew on Ezra might be able to point them in the direction of a forger on Sihnon, at least.

Roll Credits

Sidekick

First Post
Heh good write up and the extra gang of robbers really added to the situation.

What is it about other people always messing up the 'heroes' plans.

Looking forward to more (wink wink nudge nudge)

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Well, Episode 12, tentatively titled The Core of the Problem, will be the finale for season 1 of Ruthless Bastards. After that we're going to do a mini-campaign of four or five sessions. That game is going to be a Pulp League of Extraordinary Gentlemen game set in Boston in the 1920s using the Mutants & Masterminds 2e rules. I will be doing a story hour for that one as well. After that we'll be back for Season 2 of Ruthless Bastards.

But we still have episode 12 to get through first. That'll be three or four sessions, I'm guessing. So we won't be finishing this season for another six to eight weeks.

Remove ads