OD&D First Character Death

Smarmot

Explorer
My very first character was a thief in basic d&d. My brother convinced me to play it and I wasn't enthused at all for this character (why would I want armour made of leather?) or even at all for a game with no board and no visuals. I kinda liked the dice though. He had, I think, three hp and was killed by an arrow after he failed his very low chance to move silently past an enemy. I did not feel loss.

My second character was a dwarf and I was much more attached. He was killed by the minotaur in the Caves of Chaos. I cried. Then my brother DM had a "wizard" appear and resurrect him on the spot. I dried my eyes and continued the battle and... The minotaur killed him again.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
My second character was a dwarf and I was much more attached. He was killed by the minotaur in the Caves of Chaos. I cried. Then my brother DM had a "wizard" appear and resurrect him on the spot. I dried my eyes and continued the battle and... The minotaur killed him again.
That's always noteworthy, being killed twice by the same opponent, as it's rare that an opponent in D&D survives to fight you again another day...and that the same PC is around to fight it again. :)

In all the many years of our gaming here, dying twice to the same source has only happened 4 times:

one was a Dwarf killed twice by the same beholder on two consecutive in-game days
one was a Ranger-Mage killed twice by the same dragon, a few in-game months apart
one was a Cleric killed twice by the same dragon half an in-game year apart (this one was my own PC)
one was a particularly unlucky sod killed twice by friendly fire from the same other PC, a few years apart.

Remove ads