First Contact: X-Corps

SpaceOtter

Drifting in otter space
So, AKA Games are going to Kickstart an English language translation of the First Contact: X-Corps RPG (already available as a limited line in Spanish and French), and as a fan of X-Com, the X-Files, V, and other assorted alien invasion shows, I'm intrigued.

It even uses the good ol' d6 system ala WEG Star Wars (albeit modified) and has a sister RPG called Z-Corps (dealing with zombies instead).

However, looking at the sample characters in the free quick start, I noticed that movement speeds were different than the d6 OGL, and this (coupled with the French limited editions including poster battlemaps) has me wondering if the RPG assumes maps/mats/tokens/minis and movement in squares or the like?

Any French or Spanish forumites have any insight?

Yoh-01

Explorer
Hi Jargole,
Thanks for your interest in First Contact: X-Corps.
Technically speaking, the movement speeds represent the number of metres a character can move in a round at normal speed, and not movement on a battlemap.
Of course, it should be easy to convert these values into squares or hexes on battlemaps of your own design.

Last edited:

Yoh-01

Explorer
No mats/minis/tokens indeed. Basically, what you need is a handful of 6-sided dice plus one with a different colour for the wild die (and a pen, some paper, your character sheet, obviously) and you're good to play.

However, gamers who love tokens could easily use poker chips or beads to represent Character points and Guts points, and the same goes with maps and minis: they could easily be used if the table feels more keen on playing with them.

Basically, the Open d6 system is versatile enough to please different types of tabletop RPGers, and it's also super-easy to grasp and use with either form of gaming (with or without a battlemap).

Yoh-01

Explorer
Hello Brian,

We are mid-March indeed but we want to make sure we've got everything rounded up before launching our Kickstarter.

I can't announce any official date yet, however we should have some interesting news to give very soon.

In the meantime, I hope you managed to play with the quickstart and if you did, we'd be pretty much interested in hearing about your games.

Remove ads