First GenCon in 20 years

Matchstick

Adventurer
Well, hi everyone! A long long time ago I attended the first Milwaukee GenCon, and even before that I attended a couple at the University of Kenosha. I remember meeting Gary Gygax, Phil Foglio, and Rowena (I used to have a Tshirt from one of the Kenosha cons that Gary and Rowena signed, it had Rowena art). Heck, my Dad bought (and still has) a Hildebrandt Brothers sketch at one of them!

Anyway, I think it's been long enough that I can be considered a GenCon virgin again. It might be too early to ask, but is there any advice I should take into account at the Con? Are there any games that would be too good to miss? Any ENWorld specific stuff I should look for?

I am going with friends, so I won't be completely out on my own. I've signed up for only one game (a City of Heroes game).

Thanks for any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts!

kenobi65

First Post
Well, it's probably going to be a lot bigger than the GenCons you remember (back in the Jurassic period, I, too, attended GenCons at UW-Parkside, then at MECCA in Milwaukee). The Indy Convention Center is enormous, and GenCon fills it up. Wear comfortable shoes. :D

You're pre-registered, which is good, because that'll keep you out of some of the lines (even better if you're having your badge and tickets mailed to you).

It sounds like the Art Show was something you enjoyed in the past; it's still there, and it's one of the things that is always on my must-do list.

Swiftbrook

First Post
Matchstick said:
I've signed up for only one game (a City of Heroes game).

Are you going for 4 days? I find it hard to get into the more popular games if you have not signed up for them in advance. If you're only going for a day, one game is fine, but at a miniumum, I'd preregister for one game a day.

Suggestion: don't TAKE FOOD AND WATER, the convention center asks that you buy there expsensive food :) .

-Swiftbrook

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
kenobi65 said:
Well, it's probably going to be a lot bigger than the GenCons you remember (back in the Jurassic period, I, too, attended GenCons at UW-Parkside, then at MECCA in Milwaukee). The Indy Convention Center is enormous, and GenCon fills it up. Wear comfortable shoes. :D

actually i had a break for a period too... and for me Gen Con was smaller more recently...

went in 85, 86,.... and then not again until 03.

advice for the n00b, bring food, water, and comfy shoes. prepare to wait in long arse lines. and have all of your scheduled game sessions cancel on you (at least that is what happened to me). expect to lug 80lbs of minis and dice around to game with fellow ENWurlders... but never get to play with any of them.

Psion

Adventurer
Matchstick said:
Well shoot, sure enough I did. Here I've been planning this post for a couple days and then I go and goof it up.

Sorry about that!

No reason to be sorry. Just making sure you saw it, with some added gentle ribbing. ;)

Remove ads