First Impressions?

Stoat

Adventurer
I'm stuck at work and won't be downloading any playtest documents until this evening.

Those of you who are more fortunate, what do you think?

YRUSirius

First Post
Nice layout! The spell layout definitely surprised me. No stats, just an effect and a special entry. Everything in prose. VERY nice for starters.

-YRUSirius

Sir Robilar

First Post
Looks fantastic so far. Nice to read, simple and clear. I adore the advantage/disadvantage rules. It reminds me of Ye Olde Gaming company's Wayfarers RPG, where the proficiency system works the same.

Raith5

Adventurer
The spells remind of basic D&D, the monsters and equipment remind of 3rd and character sheets remind me of 4th (sans skills) for some reason.

Good sign I guess!

YRUSirius

First Post
Hm, the dwarven fighter has a d12 hit dice and the elf wizard has a d4 hit dice? Is this because of the race or theme? Because the last L&L article mentioned d6 for wizards and d10 for fighters...

-YRUSirius

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Still reading the rules, but I like advantage/disadvantage. The ability modifiers remain the same, which really confuses me as to the Rogue's skill ability mentioned in the last Ro3 article (the math doesn't work, see other thread).

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Oh and the rules about rolling hit points and your Constitution - sounds like a really neat trick on paper, but screws high hit die classes? I can't decide.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
It is interesting. It mostly appears to be a mix of 3e and 4e combined together.

Hit Dice are pretty much Healing Surges just with more rolling to see how many hitpoints you regain and only able to use them out of combat. Also you don't need them for spells to heal you.

Armor and Weapons work more like 3e. However spells use Int or Wis as their attack stat. Stat modifiers are exactly the same as 3e.

The spells appear to be mostly copied as pasted with very few changes from 3e.

Meanwhile, the whole thing is wrapped in a layer of sentiment that "The game doesn't need exact rules for doing anything other than attacks and damage". It pretty much says "As the DM, make up DCs for things, you have 6 stats, use whichever stat you think is appropriate for a task or saving throw".

Raith5

Adventurer
Hm, the dwarven fighter has a d12 hit dice and the elf wizard has a d4 hit dice? Is this because of the race or theme? Because the last L&L article mentioned d6 for wizards and d10 for fighters...

-YRUSirius

On page 4 of how to play it says your hp are your con score plus your hit dice roll or your con bonus (whichever is higher)

Kinak

First Post
Overall, the rules have a very OD&D feel to me.

Mapping saves and skills as attribute checks seems pretty solid to me, very old school.

I'll admit I'm a little concerned about their flat math. You need big bonuses to make a difference when your random factor is a d20.

The advantage/disadvantage (roll twice, take the better/worse) mechanic is nice. I'm looking forward to seeing that in play. Much more gratifying than a small bonus and doesn't complicate things by stacking.

Their line on buying magical items is up my alley (i.e. you can't).

Not sure I'm sold on their approach to rituals (exchanging components for memorization), but it's certainly worth taking for a spin.

Scaling spell effects based on the target's hit points makes "save or suck" way more interactive with the rest of the party. Very cool.

The spell effects look perfect too. They're short and easy to understand without being too jargony.

Overall, lots of simplification. It should be fun, but I'm sure it still has a lot to hammer out.

Cheers!
Kinak

Remove ads