D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Seems like a mixed bag of ideas. Am I hearing that right in that ability scores are no longer a function of race but rather your background? The video seems to plant that flag solidly. They never say race doesn't give you ability scores bonuses, but they repeatedly say that background does now. Unless you're getting two sets of +2/+1...which would make sense with the auto success on a 20 and no more monster crits.

ETA: Is it a bit of a red flag to anyone else that the playtest material drops today and the survey opens on Sept 1st? Literally two weeks from now. That doesn't fill me with confidence that 1) people will actually playtest these things, or that; 2) feedback will actually matter.

dave2008

Legend
Seems like a mixed bag of ideas. Am I hearing that right in that ability scores are no longer a function of race but rather your background? The video seems to plant that flag solidly. They never say race doesn't give you ability scores bonuses, but they repeatedly say that background does now. Unless you're getting two sets of +2/+1...which would make sense with the auto success on a 20 and no more monster crits.
Well it is a playtest with a survey on 9/1

please explain please?
Tieflings get a to choose between the existing "Infernal" origin/legacy as well as an Abyssal or Cthonic one, representing a choice between having ties to the LE, CE, or NE lower planes respectively.

No details beyond that at the moment, as the PDFs aren't actually out yet, but "devil-spawn-only" tieflings are seemingly being opened back up to a more generic tiefling with options for devil, demon, and 'loth spawn.

Remove ads