• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I guess I shouldn't generalize about catgirls, it's not right lol.

But okay, I take your point, I just know a lot of other people who play catgirls and similar across various games (video and TT) and the idea of them being able to temporarily sprout pretty magical glowing wings would be like A+++ yes please material to an awful lot of them. If they had permanent big honking feathered or leathery wings that would not be remotely well-received though for most of them.
I'm shocked a catgirl would be into a "grow wings" henshin sequence. :)

One problem with "Aardlings" is that excluding the Beastlands there aren't that many Beast-like CG Celestials. At the most there's Lillendi (who have humanoid upper torsos and snake lower torso with wings), Asuras (Mostly humanoid except for the wings and bird talon feet) and Tome of Battle Valkyrie (who can be described as Satyr-Angels). The most prevalent CG celestials are the Celestial Eladrins (aka Azata in Pathfinder) or whatever they're going to call them now (Sidhe?) who are all mostly Fey-like.

And this is not counting the fact that about half of the Archon types are also human-like.

I think that while Aardlings have animal features, some players would want to go full Furry, not necessarily everyone wants to go full Furry for such concepts.

I think they should just collapse the concept into Aasimar. No having 2 different races.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So , the only way to get the materials is to register on DnD Beyond, and the only way to create an account is to use your google or apple account? Am I missing something?
I mean, yeah?
They made it quite clear in the video and the document that half-eaces are gone.
Absolute deal breaker, frankly. No, we are not erasing mixed race folks. The game has room for half elves and half orcs and rules for making new mixed ancestries.
I really have no idea why anyone cares if it is a new edition or not. If it is balanced to work with old 5e stuff, or at least enough that it doesn't matter a lot, and the basic concepts don't change, who cares? But I'm sure we'll get hundreds of posts debating it.
The nomenclature doesn’t really matter, it just gets argued because nerds like correcting people, all that actually matters is whether you will need a conversion document to play a PC with stuff from 2024 and from Tasha’s.
Yeah, it's a new Edition, but they don’t want to do it like it was for prior editions, so they are changing the terms for marketing. They want to emphasize continuity.
I mean, if it’s not a new edition in the sense the term has been used in the history of D&D … it’s not a new edition. 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately, it really looks like it could be functionally a new edition. I cannot fathom ho they think that’s a good idea.

One problem with "Aardlings" is that excluding the Beastlands there aren't that many Beast-like CG Celestials. At the most there's Lillendi (who have humanoid upper torsos and snake lower torso with wings), Asuras (Mostly humanoid except for the wings and bird talon feet) and Tome of Battle Valkyrie (who can be described as Satyr-Angels). The most prevalent CG celestials are the Celestial Eladrins (aka Azata in Pathfinder) or whatever they're going to call them now (Sidhe?) who are all mostly Fey-like.

And this is not counting the fact that about half of the Archon types are also human-like.

I think that while Aardlings have animal features, some players would want to go full Furry, not necessarily everyone wants to go full Furry for such concepts.

I think they should just collapse the concept into Aasimar. No having 2 different races.
The CG ones would be descendants of the Animal Lords and the like from the Beastlands.

Of course, they may just make up a new set of CG celestials to replace the appropriated 2e eladrin, but I would personally prefer for them to keep the tulani and the like and give them a new group name ("celestial eladrin" perhaps?)

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Ardlings are... Odd. Especially with them being portrayed as the anti-tiefling which was, well, the aasimar's job in the past. Now, I'd very much say the aasimar didn't do a good job of encompassing the range there, but just the same, ardlings sort of do the same poor job in that they're blatently tied to guardinals, even with the odd edge cases we can draw out. Though, the vague idea of 'beastmen have angelic ancestory' is also kind of interesting, especially with how other stuff tends to do the 'oh beastmen? yeah they're evil things of the wilds'. Not in D&D

However, just flat, basic orcs are a base race so I'm happy. No more of this 'half orcs are fine but regular orcs are too evil' nonsense. Orcs be orcing

Remove ads