D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Kurotowa

Legend
Rogue is literally just a renamed and updated thief.
Yes, exactly. The emphasis changed, the mechanics changed, but the spirit lived on. My point is that the same thing is happening to the half-elf and half-orc. The emphasis is changing, the mechanics are changing, but the spirit lives on in a renamed and updated way.

Kurotowa

Legend
I recall Crawfod talking about how he would redo Warlocks from the bottom up to make the Patron more of the primary choice, and roll the pact more into those. I also recall the designers talking about choosing Subclass after Level 1 not really working the way they thought, at all. I think we will see some serious overhauls at least proposed.
They may be limited on that front by the "backwards compatibility" mandate. Moving the subclass levels around invalidates every supplement subclass that isn't reprinted in the One D&D PHB. Much as I'd like to see those changes too, I'm expecting there to be limits. But we'll see when they start releasing classes for testing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They may be limited on that front by the "backwards compatibility" mandate. Moving the subclass levels around invalidates every supplement subclass that isn't reprinted in the One D&D PHB. Much as I'd like to see those changes too, I'm expecting there to be limits. But we'll see when they start releasing classes for testing.
Well, but it doesn't invalidate the books they are in totally, though. And the rules as they stand seem to allow just using 2014 versions of the Classes as needed. Do note thst we are only getting 2 new Subclass in print thine tire year, and it's already a Level 1 choice...

I'm not saying any particular changes will make it in, bit I expect to see some proposed by the designers.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Ditto for me, but it also applies to "tiefling". I've always hated that name and thought it was silly since I joined the hobby.
I believe Tiefling is derived from the German Teufel, which comes from the same root as the English Devil, along with the suffix -ling meaning lineage. I would guess Ardling has a similar linguistic explanation. Probably from the Gaelic árd, meaning “high” (but more in the sense of being important rather than physical elevation).

Charlaquin

I'm going to put the ASIs where I want them regardless. Having to pick a background with the boosts I want for the character I want to play, modify an existing background,
Literally the only “modification” you’re doing though is putting the ASIs where you want them, so I don’t see the problem.
or write a new one is not making fewer choices than just placing the ASIs directly. At most the fixed ASI by background is a difference in order of operations, but for me it adds work rather than making things easier.
For you. There may be other players for whom it’s less work.
Other brains may differ, but I've got to deal with the brain I've got.
As do we all.

Charlaquin

I recall Crawfod talking about how he would redo Warlocks from the bottom up to make the Patron more of the primary choice, and roll the pact more into those. I also recall the designers talking about choosing Subclass after Level 1 not really working the way they thought, at all. I think we will see some serious overhauls at least proposed.
Yeah, I had been hoping subclasses might all be gained at 1st level, but I figured it was an unrealistic hope as it would be too significant a structural change for the kind of revision the ‘24 rules would be. Seeing this UA though, my hope they will indeed do so is renewed. As is my fear that they’ll ruin my precious Warlock.

Charlaquin

They might propose such a change to see how we respond and walk it back if the feedback is too negative.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I had been hoping subclasses might all be gained at 1st level, but I figured it was an unrealistic hope as it would be too significant a structural change for the kind of revision the ‘24 rules would be. Seeing this UA though, my hope they will indeed do so is renewed. As is my fear that they’ll ruin my precious Warlock.
Yeah, I think that the odds are that they will at least propose some fairly deep rewrites of some if not all of the Classes. I just hope the Monk and Barbsrian get some fundamental rewrites to flavor, of nothing else.

Remove ads